Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

The article makes a great point, one I completely agree with. If I am 'shopping', sure, I might go to WalMart, but really only because in Mustang that's literally the only other choice besides Homeland. I would prefer to go almost anywhere else.

But if I just need one or two things, Homeland is the way to go. Selection? Horrible. Prices? Abysmal. But I'm in and out in the time it would take to find parking at WalMart. And really, that makes the prices not 'that' bad in comparison. Bag of chips, $2.19 at WalMart, $2.49 at Homeland. Sure, I paid 30 cents more, but I saved way more than that...again, just in the gas burned trying to find parking at WalMart.

3. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Look for four more conversions to CashSaver soon. I wish I knew which stores but my lovely source only knows store numbers and has no idea where each store is. The existing CashSaver stores are doing better than the Homelands they replaced so more poorly performing Homeland stores are being set for conversion.

terryinokc Guest

Saw on the news last night that Homeland is indeed converting several stores to the Cash Saver banner. It didn't say which locations....I would be interested in hearing if anyone knows.
    I know that Mustang and Edmond are announced....and there have been recent conversions in Guthrie and Purcell. The Purcell location was a United Supermarket---Homeland bought the United chain a few years back. United used to be one of the best small grocery stores around---great meat, friendly employees and floors so clean you could eat off of them. Last one I was in had been "Homeland-Ized"---no explanation needed there. When United was privately owned...it was an integral part of small towns across the state. My understanding was that Homeland had to agree to leave the United name on the stores until they reached their 100th anniversary--I think that is this year. Wouldn't be surprised if some more of the United stores change to Cash Saver---especially in towns where there is currently a Homeland and a United. Elk City, Clinton and Bartlesville come to mind.

There's a cashsaver on Rockwell. Somewhere closer to 39th

6. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    There's a cashsaver on Rockwell. Somewhere closer to 39th
    There's one at 23rd & Rockwell.

I saw the one on edmond, 33rd and boulevard?

Our here in Del City Homeland stores - S.E 29th and S. Sunnylane Rd. They are start working remodels and they will change new name CashSavers stores very soon. But we were there inside store looking change different aisles looking weird not that before.I said ohhh okay just about...... weird.

I was in the Homeland in Del City this week and chatted at length with one of the employees. She said the store would close for 2 days this week and reopen (I think) on Thursday, 6/16 as Cashsaver. Supposedly, Cashsaver will show prices at cost and then add a surcharge at the register. Meh - it will still be my store of choice for a couple of months until I move to Poteau.
    Walmart and persons with disabilities are not compatible. Thank goodness Poteau has another grocery besides just Wallyworld. I have not set foot in a WM in 4 years and I don't plan on it again!

Huge, exclusive news:

Homeland to start $2 million renovation on 18th & Classen store

After years of lobbying, residents of Midtown and surrounding neighborhoods will get their wishes granted as Homeland has started the process of performing a major renovation of the dated store at 1108 NW 18th.

[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

In an interview with OKCTalk, Homeland President and CEO Marc Jones said the company intends to spend $2 million updating and renovating the 22,000 square foot store which was constructed in 1973 and is currently the only full-service grocery store near the downtown area.

Plans call for a new north facade and signage and a significant renovation to the interior, where every area of the store will be touched.

A new entry vestibule will be constructed on the east end leading to a brand new and open fresh foods area, focusing on healthy ready-made items and a greatly expanded produce section with a good mix of organic items.

Along the east wall will be a new bakery and deli, which will feature artisan breads, made on site sushi, made to order pizza and other fresh items. Heat-and-eat and ready-to-eat meals will center on fresh and healthy items such as salmon over rice and chicken breast with couscous.

At the back of the store, a service meat counter will be added with upgraded offerings of meat, poultry and fish.

A brand new restroom will be constructed for customers and employee areas will be renovated as well.

In addition to the new north facade, the highly visible west exposure along Classen will receive glass block windows and re-texturing. The small pharmacy will remain in the northwest corner of the store.

Homeland had received a great deal of feedback from nearby residents and will try to incorporate as many suggestions as possible but is somewhat constrained due to the the size of the store.

Jones said Homeland's goal is to best serve the surrounding neighborhoods and invites feedback via the Contact Us section of their website, homelandstores.com. In-person meetings with neighbors to help finalize plans may also be held.

Work is expected to start in late spring or early summer and conclude before the end of the year and will
    remain open during construction with some areas sectioned off as needed.

CEO Jones also said that after years of expansion, Homeland now wants to focus on its roots, planning to remodel 4-5 Oklahoma stores in 2017 including at least 2 more in the Oklahoma City area. Jones joined the company last April, coming from Greensboro, NC based Fresh Market.

Homeland operates 31 stores in Oklahoma, 10 of which are in the OKC metro area and is headquartered in Oklahoma City.

HangryHippo Guest

Well, that's pretty damn exciting! I didn't realize they had a new leader from Fresh Market - sounds like he brought some good ideas.

Yes, and they have a new VP of Marketing as well.

They have shed all their stores outside of OK and seem committed to upgrading all their current locations and focusing on fresh, quality items.

This is certainly the best start to that plan. Big deal for residents of downtown, Gatewood, etc.

13. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Great news! I went in this weekend for a few items and was reminded again why I never go in. This is long overdue.

14. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

It wasn't long ago we joked about it being dozer bait. Glad to see a renovation.

"CEO Jones also said that after years of expansion, Homeland now wants to focus on its roots, planning to remodel 4-5 Oklahoma stores in 2017 including at least 2 more in the Oklahoma City area."

Unfortunately, recent events have made this a valid question:

When they say planning to remodel, do they mean remodel and remain Homelands, or remodel and convert to Cashsavers?

As hard as we've all been on that store, I give Homeland a lot of credit for doing this because that is a small store that they could have easily abandoned.

It is also a good sign they will start renovating more stores in 2017.

Improve or die in today's world.

This is fantastic news and great reporting! Thank you, Pete. So excited to stop referring to our closest grocer as "Homicide Homeland"

Awesome news! Glad to see this confirmed.

I don't shop Wal-Mart and other than this Homeland, the nearest thing that isn't Wal-Mart is Buy 4 Less on NW Expressway, which is a pain to rely on as your primary grocer if you live near downtown. I never liked the 18th and Classen Homeland (its small and they seem to always be out of stock on what I need) but I shopped there anyways because it is the only thing that is convenient.

I would go as far as to say this is a game changer for downtown OKC, especially if the remodel makes the store anything like the N May and Britton store, which from the description sounds like will be the case.

19. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

I wish there was room for expansion, as this store is so much smaller than the one on May.... but a $2mm renovation will go a long way in such a relatively small space. Really excited for this.

20. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Excellent news! Long overdue. (I hope they also retrain their checkout personnel!)

It's a weird time. They were lucky that they didn't get the competition from the Gold Dome, although I don't think that NG would directly compete against Homeland for most people. And they also lost a big competitor with Buy For Less shutting down on 23rd street. This is their opportunity to grab that slice of the metro and make it their own, so I hope it works out for Homeland as well as the people living in that area.

Amazing news! glad to see Homeland saw the potential for that location!

Blog Entries

Regarding expansion, they could build a store almost double the size on the north lot, tear down the old building, make it parking, add more frontage to Classen....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homeland.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	13563

It doesn't look like they're changing the exterior much at all. I am glad Homeland realizes that this is no longer acceptable, but they still don't appear interested in competing for the urban professional grocery dollar that's really just there for the taking.

25. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It doesn't look like they're changing the exterior much at all. I am glad Homeland realizes that this is no longer acceptable, but they still don't appear interested in competing for the urban professional grocery dollar that's really just there for the taking.
    Full service meat counter... artisan breads.... made to order healthy food options.... sushi... made to order pizza...

Ok, I'll bite.... What are they missing?

Thread Information