Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
Something jumped out at me in the NewsOK article where Homeland officially announced they were closing the Northwest Expressway and MacArthur store. We all wonder about all the investment into Britton & May and now 122 & Rockwell while the others just die on the vine. Did anybody else catch the direct quote from the CEO that stated that as Homeland's business plan?

"Darryl Fitzgerald, CEO for Homeland Stores, said in a statement. “In keeping with our strategic decision to prudently invest in historically high-performing stores located in high-growth areas, we could not justify expending capital in this store.”

So, Mr. Fitzgerald, why not sell the rest of the chain that you don't care about and you could maybe even use the money to create another one or two "high-performing stores?"

Bottom line: Your strategy is sad, obviously ineffective, and shows an almost schizophrenic approach to your chain. Either have high standards for ALL of your stores - or close those you plainly state you don't want to invest in. Anything else is small time thinking. Hopefully, Northwest Expressway & MacArthur is the first closure of many.
Couldn't it just be a different way of saying they don't want to throw good money after bad?

I mean, yeah, accusing the guy of being "schizo" and "not caring" is a lot sexier in a public forum like this than taking the comments at face value, but I don't know of too many businesses that are perpetually engaged in throwing money at aspects of the business that show little to no promise of return. Mind you, won't say I agree with how Homeland is managed right now in terms of their price-competitiveness, but just hurling the brickbats doesn't seem to help...anything.