Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland Closing Store

Uptown Grocery is opening up at May and Britton on the other side of Britton from the current Homeland location.

The Uptown Grocery is supposed to go in where the abandoned car sales place used to be. This just happens to be just north of the building that Albertson's left to move to the south side of Britton Road some time before they became a Homeland location. I like that Homeland and do over half my grocery shopping there. However, if Uptown is competitive cost/value-wise I will be switching to them. Because they will be in the city limits of The Village . . . like that old Albertson's used to be.

In the old Jackie Cooper BMW lot.

In case anyone is interested, this store is selling anything they have left for 20% off.

Default Re: Homeland - 18th & Classen

Enjoying the speakerbox concert and fireworks. Who knew this area was so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Enjoying the speakerbox concert and fireworks. Who knew this area was so awesome.
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    huh?
    He is promoting Heritage Hills.

From the most recent Alliance for Economic Development report:

SEPTEMBER
    Held discussions with city partners Homeland about long term plans for location at 18th and Classen.

9. Default Re: Homeland - 18th & Classen

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From the most recent Alliance for Economic Development report:
    I've been going in here over the past month when I run out of the bare essentials, and now realize what others have said. The quality and condition of this store is absolutely terrible, even for Homeland standards. This is such a prime location for a quality grocery store, is there anything to Alliance (or anyone else for that matter) can do to improve things here?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I've been going in here over the past month when I run out of the bare essentials, and now realize what others have said. The quality and condition of this store is absolutely terrible, even for Homeland standards. This is such a prime location for a quality grocery store, is there anything to Alliance (or anyone else for that matter) can do to improve things here?
    I think it is interesting that when I'm in there, I never see people actually doing their real shopping. It is always people like myself that are only buying a few items that they absolutely need.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I think it is interesting that when I'm in there, I never see people actually doing their real shopping. It is always people like myself that are only buying a few items that they absolutely need.
    Why would people do their real grocery shopping in such a place? The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and Buy for Less at Penn and NW 23rd aren't very far away and they are much, much better grocery stores. Right now, the Homeland probably stays in business simply on those people who are there just to by a few essentials or pick up things they forgot when doing their real grocery shopping.

If Homeland would remodel/rebuild the store however, it could become a place where a lot of people would do their real grocery shopping. I am not sure why the owners of Homeland don't see this and don't wan to seize this opportunity before somebody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Why would people do their real grocery shopping in such a place? The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and Buy for Less at Penn and NW 23rd aren't very far away and they are much, much better grocery stores. Right now, the Homeland probably stays in business simply on those people who are there just to by a few essentials or pick up things they forgot when doing their real grocery shopping.

If Homeland would remodel/rebuild the store however, it could become a place where a lot of people would do their real grocery shopping. I am not sure why the owners of Homeland don't see this and don't wan to seize this opportunity before somebody else does.
    I've lived downtown for over a year and have yet to set foot in there. My wife went once for a cake mix, if I recall and she ended up at Walmart on 23rd because the store was dirty and disorganized. Time for a change.

13. Default Re: Homeland - 18th & Classen

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    I've lived downtown for over a year and have yet to set foot in there. My wife went once for a cake mix, if I recall and she ended up at Walmart on 23rd because the store was dirty and disorganized. Time for a change.
    I'm new to this area so good to know there are other, better, options, although I try and stay away from Walmart as much as possible. But it quite possibly the most disorganized store I've been in.

I'm new to this area so good to know there are other, better, options, although I try and stay away from Walmart as much as possible. But it quite possibly the most disorganized store I've been in.
    Mostly Native Roots and Whole foods. I sometimes go to the crest at 104th and may.

15. Default Re: Homeland - 18th & Classen

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Mostly Native Roots and Whole foods. I sometimes go to the crest at 104th and may.
    I meant new to the midtown area, I could have been more clear. It's good to know that there better options nearby though.

I meant new to the midtown area, I could have been more clear. It's good to know that there better options nearby though.
    I just keep hoping for a trader joes.

Its been years since I have been in a wal-mart and don't plan on visiting any time soon. .I live in Crestwood and I forget that homeland even exists. I wish the buy 4 less at Penn and 23rd was cleaned up more like the expressway location but not sure that is happening. I tend to do all my shopping at Crest at 23rd and Meridian. great prices and they ALWAYS have enough cashiers to get you out in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Why would people do their real grocery shopping in such a place? ......... I am not sure why the owners of Homeland don't see this and don't wan to seize this opportunity before somebody else does.
    Yes it wasn't clear but that was my point too. The store owners must know that most of their customers are only purchasing a few items. That Homeland is nothing more than a convenience store for 90% of the people in there.

Their management is out of touch, they see their low (or maybe average -- I don't know their books) numbers as a reflection of the market, and not a reflection of their service. In their eyes, they see a weak market and not a weak product offering as the reason for under performance. If they were as bullish on the downtown market as some of the other business in the metro, they would make this their absolute priority to be remodeled and expanded product offering. They are just out of touch, that is all. They are probably ran by the same type of individual thinks you get shot downtown after 530pm.

It's shocking to me that any business in this day and age -- especially one of decent size and substantial resources -- could operate like this.

To me, that tells you everything you need to know about Homeland.

Many things at this store could be fixed by merely making a bit of an effort (organization, cleanliness); things that wouldn't necessarily cost them a dime. Yet, they still can't be bothered.

Homeland is completely out of touch. Is there any chance they may ever sell to a better company or will they just die a slow death?

I guess my experience has been different than others on this thread. I have stopped by this location to pick up a few items on my way home from work many a time. Dingy, well worn, dated, crowded merchandise... definitely. While it is not an aesthetically pleasing experience, I've never seen dirty floors or spills. The merchandise is in the same shape as Walmart and Crest. The checkers are friendly and helpful. I do agree Homelands in general do not create a pleasant shopping experience.

23. Default Re: Homeland - 18th & Classen

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I guess my experience has been different than others on this thread. I have stopped by this location to pick up a few items on my way home from work many a time. Dingy, well worn, dated, crowded merchandise... definitely. While it is not an aesthetically pleasing experience, I've never seen dirty floors or spills. The merchandise is in the same shape as Walmart and Crest. The checkers are friendly and helpful. I do agree Homelands in general do not create a pleasant shopping experience.
    "Dingy, well worn, dated, crowded merchandise" = words that never should be used to describe a grocery store, hence the negative comments.

My post wasn't a criticism of people expressing negativity. Express away. I just have a different perspective.

There are rumors that the 18th and Classen Homeland may be slated for closure. Can anybody confirm or deny that? If so, it's beyond mindboggling being that it is such an underserved yet growing part of the city. The store is unsuccessful because its run down and filthy, not because there isn't a market for a grocery store in the area. It's sad that most people I know who live downtown either drive to the Belle Isle Wal-Mart or the S 104th and May Crest to do their grocery shopping. Anybody who thinks downtown OKC has arrived needs to wrap their minds around that.

Thread Information