Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland Closing Store

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    Located on the SE corner of SW 104th & S. Penn in the Chateney Square Shopping Center. The store used to be an Albertson's before being taken over by Homeland. When it first opened, it was "the" place to shop in that SW area...then the new Crest opened at SW 104th & S. May...and the Homeland did not keep up its interior, etc. The folks who work there are super nice, but the store is just not like it should be. It is comparable to the one at NW 122 & N. May. SoonerDave is spot on in his description!

If there is any truth to the rumor going around that a Sprouts might go in across the street on the property currently for sale, then Homeland is definitely toast. We've heard that story about the "requirement" that there had to be a grocery store in Chateney Square too. Always wondered the basis for that. They could turn the Homeland into a Sprouts, and with a complete remodel, update, etc., it would do well in that demographic area.
    OO, I am not making fun of your spelling. I can't pronounce the name of the square no matter how it is spelled.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    OO, I am not making fun of your spelling. I can't pronounce the name of the square no matter how it is spelled.
    UP, no problem. My bad for the misspellings in both posts; I'll plead inattentiveness and being in too much of a rush to go check the proper spelling. As to the pronunciation, we say, "Shat-en-a" (long "a" on the end), but I have no idea if that is correct or not. We're Okies; we just try to go with what we think it might be. Have heard others say, "Chat-nay." Take your pick, or add your own.

Okay, just went out on the Net and looked up the spelling. I was wrong; it's Chatenay, which I should know, as I go to the Panera there all the time. Sigh. Next time, I'll check the spelling before I post. SoonerDave was right in his spelling, and I was not. I never mind being corrected!

But back to the topic, they desperately need to remodel and improve that store!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    When I lived the are the 122nd & May store was one of the nicest Homeland stores....of course the apartments in the area were as well.
    I question how this store survives. It is very sad, because I, too, remember when it was probably the nicest store in Oklahoma City when it opened. It was a Safeway I believe in - what? - 1980-81? They introduced the pull-thru service with groceries loaded right by the door by a quick and attentive staff. Top notch all the way. Very sad.

Britton and May I think will weather any of the competition and still be a strong store. But 122nd and May has got to hear the clock ticking.

Blog Entries

It survives because there's a gazillion apartments nearby (I used to live in one) and it's the closest thing, so people will use it almost no matter what, kind of like 18th/Classen. It sucks, but people use it no matter what because it's the closest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It survives because there's a gazillion apartments nearby (I used to live in one) and it's the closest thing, so people will use it almost no matter what, kind of like 18th/Classen. It sucks, but people use it no matter what because it's the closest thing.
    Also the old folks that live in Quail Creek - those are about the only people I ever see when I go in there, which is almost-never-to-rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    Located on the SE corner of SW 104th & S. Penn in the Chateney Square Shopping Center. The store used to be an Albertson's before being taken over by Homeland. When it first opened, it was "the" place to shop in that SW area...then the new Crest opened at SW 104th & S. May...and the Homeland did not keep up its interior, etc. The folks who work there are super nice, but the store is just not like it should be. It is comparable to the one at NW 122 & N. May. SoonerDave is spot on in his description!

If there is any truth to the rumor going around that a Sprouts might go in across the street on the property currently for sale, then Homeland is definitely toast. We've heard that story about the "requirement" that there had to be a grocery store in Chateney Square too. Always wondered the basis for that. They could turn the Homeland into a Sprouts, and with a complete remodel, update, etc., it would do well in that demographic area.
    I've heard a VERY strong rumor (from folks whom I would deem credible, actually) that the Sprouts project has actually been killed due to pressure from the Greenbriar HOA folks. May or may not yet be public knowledge, but the folks that had this information seem to have a lot of generally pretty accurate info on things relating to city businesses and area projects, so it isn't the garden variety rumor.

The story about Chatenay and the grocery store is pretty odd and interesting. As I heard it, Odom (Chatenay developer) got a contract from the big grocery distributor in town at that time (now, what, 15-20 years ago) to put in a grocery store at his new Chatenay development (May have been Wholesale Grocers, but I don't say that as fact by any means). That was, as I recall, going to be a "Buy For Le$$" grocery store, similar to the one on NW Expy just northwest of Baptist Hospital. Ground broke, construction started, and then something - perhaps relating to the economy, don't remember - fell through the floor and the distributor wanted out of the Chatenay project.

Odom, supposedly, said (in effect), "ahem, no, I have a contract, and I'm building a store, and I expect you to provide a tenant." So, hearing that the Homeland - then at SW 89th and Penn - was getting ready for a big-scale remodel, the distributor approached Homeland about just swapping locations - move their store to the Chatenay space rather than remodel their old existing store. Homeland agreed, and Odom was satisfied. Homeland opened the very nice store there, which went on its way as was noted earlier in the thread....

The loser in all this was Buchanan's, which had been at the corner of SW 89th and Penn and a SW OKC institution since the 1960's. When the WalMart Neighborhood Market went in at SW 104th and Western, Buchanan's just couldn't compete, and tried valiantly to expand, update, and renovate their stores, but it was too little, too late. As an adjunct to all this, supposedly Odom had desperately tried to pursuade Buchanan's to move away from its core location and move across the street to a new building he offered to help build (rather than update the very old existing building), but the Buchanan family didn't want to move.

Now, its worth noting that ALL of this is, of course, second hand, alleged, supposed, relayed from friends, some of whom had family that worked for Buch's at that time, so had good reason to believe what was being told was legit, and knew a lot of the related ins and outs of the other stores. So think the substance of this story is pretty accurate even if some of the details might be a bit wonky. Now that I think of it, I believe the Oklahoman ran a story about this very little grocery store song and dance back in the day....

Thanks for the update on the Sprouts rumor. Not surprised, really. However, it would be a benefit if Homeland there went out, and Sprouts went in. I do believe a Sprouts would do quite well there--even with Crest down the street.

Appreciated hearing the back-story about the grocery situation there. Sounds perfectly logical, given what is known about both parties (Odom & Buchanan).

It was such a lovely store; just hate to see it go down like that. Hubby says that it always has that "going out of business" look about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Homeland is closing their NW Expressway and MacArthur location. Shutting down in October. That's all I know.
    Good.. That is a sad excuse for a grocery store..

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Good.. That is a sad excuse for a grocery store..
    No. It wasn't. That is my regular grocery store and I'll go there until it closes. It meets my needs quite well.

I know this is a bit off topic but I am curious if the newly built On Cue Express affected the gasoline sales for the Homeland that is slated to close and accelerated its demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic but I am curious if the newly built On Cue Express affected the gasoline sales for the Homeland that is slated to close and accelerated its demise.
    That seems unlikely. The other On Cue on NW Expressway is much closer. I usually get gas there with my Homeland card discount and I've never noticed any particular change in the amount of business when I'm there. I think I've only gotten gas from that On Cue one time since it opened.

The location isn't bad at all. The problem is Homeland really let the store go. Last time I was in it, everything looked like a store that Sad because it looks like it used to be a very nice store. The new Wal-Mart a mile to the south was likely the final nail in the coffin. My guess is the 122nd and May store will hang on until WinCo opens and then it too will go the way of the dinosaur. On the other hand, I really like what Homeland has done with their 122nd and Rockwell location.

Something jumped out at me in the NewsOK article where Homeland officially announced they were closing the Northwest Expressway and MacArthur store. We all wonder about all the investment into Britton & May and now 122 & Rockwell while the others just die on the vine. Did anybody else catch the direct quote from the CEO that stated that as Homeland's business plan?

"Darryl Fitzgerald, CEO for Homeland Stores, said in a statement. “In keeping with our strategic decision to prudently invest in historically high-performing stores located in high-growth areas, we could not justify expending capital in this store.”

So, Mr. Fitzgerald, why not sell the rest of the chain that you don't care about and you could maybe even use the money to create another one or two "high-performing stores?"

Bottom line: Your strategy is sad, obviously ineffective, and shows an almost schizophrenic approach to your chain. Either have high standards for ALL of your stores - or close those you plainly state you don't want to invest in. Anything else is small time thinking. Hopefully, Northwest Expressway & MacArthur is the first closure of many.

Something jumped out at me in the NewsOK article where Homeland officially announced they were closing the Northwest Expressway and MacArthur store. We all wonder about all the investment into Britton & May and now 122 & Rockwell while the others just die on the vine. Did anybody else catch the direct quote from the CEO that stated that as Homeland's business plan?

"Darryl Fitzgerald, CEO for Homeland Stores, said in a statement. “In keeping with our strategic decision to prudently invest in historically high-performing stores located in high-growth areas, we could not justify expending capital in this store.”

So, Mr. Fitzgerald, why not sell the rest of the chain that you don't care about and you could maybe even use the money to create another one or two "high-performing stores?"

Bottom line: Your strategy is sad, obviously ineffective, and shows an almost schizophrenic approach to your chain. Either have high standards for ALL of your stores - or close those you plainly state you don't want to invest in. Anything else is small time thinking. Hopefully, Northwest Expressway & MacArthur is the first closure of many.
    Thanks for pointing out. I did not catch that in my first read of it. I agree, they should upgrade ALL of their stores or sell the ones they don't care about. The 122nd and May store's days are numbered with Uptown Grocery and WinCo both opening nearby. I wonder if they would actually make MORE money by selling the stores they don't want then letting them run into the ground. I hate to say it but the S May and 104th location will probably whither by neglect as well, which is sad because that was once a very nice location and could still be a great grocery store.

They probably don't have the money to be able to renovate all of them. If you don't have the money to do all the stores to a certain level then you need to close some of the lower performing stores. That is why there are just a few Albertson's stores left here in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    They probably don't have the money to be able to renovate all of them. If you don't have the money to do all the stores to a certain level then you need to close some of the lower performing stores. That is why there are just a few Albertson's stores left here in Denver.
    I agree. I wonder if they could see the stores they don't want though to another operator who will make that investment if they cannot. You would think that would be a better option than closing the stores, especially locations that are on their way down but haven't yet passed that point of no return.

Couldn't it just be a different way of saying they don't want to throw good money after bad?

I mean, yeah, accusing the guy of being "schizo" and "not caring" is a lot sexier in a public forum like this than taking the comments at face value, but I don't know of too many businesses that are perpetually engaged in throwing money at aspects of the business that show little to no promise of return. Mind you, won't say I agree with how Homeland is managed right now in terms of their price-competitiveness, but just hurling the brickbats doesn't seem to help...anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Couldn't it just be a different way of saying they don't want to throw good money after bad?

I mean, yeah, accusing the guy of being "schizo" and "not caring" is a lot sexier in a public forum like this than taking the comments at face value, but I don't know of too many businesses that are perpetually engaged in throwing money at aspects of the business that show little to no promise of return. Mind you, won't say I agree with how Homeland is managed right now in terms of their price-competitiveness, but just hurling the brickbats doesn't seem to help...anything.
    I think the point is that Homeland's strategy of investing in a few of its stores and just letting the rest slowly die on the vine like what happened to the NW Expressway and MacArthur store is a bad way to manage a business. It would make more sense to sell the stores they don't want than to just let them rot away, am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

Wow. Where did that come from? I did not call Mr. Fitzgerald "schizo" and "not caring" was meant in a business sense. It IS a schizophrenic kind of business model. I didn't write any of that with the thought of it being in the slightest bit "mean." I didn't mean it any other way than a lot of people see the chain. "Sexy?" "Hurling the brickbats?" I saw in his own words the explanation for the strategy - it's intentional - I did take his words at face value. That was the purpose of my post. I'm not looking for fights today, SoonerDave, but you took all of that wrong.

Wow. Where did that come from? I did not call Mr. Fitzgerald "schizo" and "not caring" was meant in a business sense. It IS a schizophrenic kind of business model. I didn't write any of that with the thought of it being in the slightest bit "mean." I didn't mean it any other way than a lot of people see the chain. "Sexy?" "Hurling the brickbats?" I saw in his own words the explanation for the strategy - it's intentional - I did take his words at face value. That was the purpose of my post. I'm not looking for fights today, SoonerDave, but you took all of that wrong.
    Sorry, zoo, just read the words you typed:

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper
    So, Mr. Fitzgerald, why not sell the rest of the chain that you don't care about
    Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper
    ...shows an almost schizophrenic approach to your chain
    Not looking for fights, either, zoo, but to try and parse what you said as something you didn't say is more than fractionally disingneuous. That's all. The guy's a businessman, making imperfect decisions about a vastly imperfect grocery store chain that isn't likely to survive in the OKC area much longer. Just didn't see the point in the additional piling on, that's all.

SoonerDave, Please. I'm sure Fitzgerald can handle somebody posting a thought about his grocery chain on a message board without it feeling like "piling on." My post was about as benign as they come. I don't understand your problem with my post. Much, much worse is said about stores all the time. But I can't use the metaphor of "schizophrenic" when talking about the chain? Walk in one and it's beautiful - walk in another and it's horrible. As for the "you don't care about..." That's what it looks like. Really, Dave? People say ten times worse about things all the time around here. I've posted so many pro-Homeland posts at OKCTalk, always praising Britton and May, and I got the scoop on this store closing on Northwest Expressway and then gave a VERY mild critical opinion, based on the CEO's own words and I catch this from you? Disingenuous? Yeah, we're all human beings, all imperfect, all with successes and failures, why is Fitzgerald immune to criticism (mild) without you calling me out?

In fact, my guess is this comment of yours would bother him much more than mine:

"grocery store chain that isn't likely to survive in the OKC area much longer."

They'll be around if only with a half dozen stores. They aren't going anywhere. A few of their stores make money hand over fist. They are employee-owned and their parent overhead is very low.

Very judgmental of me, Dave.

If a solid mid-level grocer like Kroger, Harris-Teeter, Publix, Reasor's, etc were to enter the OKC market then yes Homeland's days are numbered. As is though, Homeland fills a niche, even if they aren't great at filling it. A handful of locations will likely remain open even if the crappy ones do close.

I was at the NW 122nd and May location Saturday morning and there were only three other people in the store besides myself. I will be very surprised if that location isn't the next one to shutter. There were several birds flying around in it as well.

Hopefully the nice one at May and Britton can hold its own even with Uptown Grocery and Natural Grocers opening nearby.

Bchris02,
    I must have missed something, where is an Uptown Grocery opening up "nearby"? I know that one is opening at MLK and 23rd, but's that's all I had heard about.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Hopefully the nice one at May and Britton can hold its own even with Uptown Grocery and Natural Grocers opening nearby.

Thread Information