Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland - 18th & Classen

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I shop there regularly. I agree that it could use a remodel but I have no problem with it It's certainly not dirty looking in the least and they meet my basic needs just fine.
    Wow. High praise.

Unlike N May and 122nd or 18th and Classen, the NW Expressway and MacArthur location isn't so bad that I would avoid it if it was the closest store to me. It does however need a remodel. It's a great location and its not yet so far gone it couldn't become a great store if they would spend a little money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow. High praise.
    Meh, call it what you want. I'm happy with it and have little desire to go elsewhere unless I'm looking for some specialty items. I do occasionally go to Whole Foods for some items but would never consider it for my main grocery store. That Homeland meets most of my needs just fine and my needs don't include expensive and unnecessary organic food even though Homeland certainly carries that.

Blog Entries

Default Homeland question?

I seem to recall a year or so ago there being an announcement about a Homeland store (maybe?) that was going to be cultivating its own vegetables and so forth, possibly new construction addition to the existing store? Anybody familiar with this project? Any updates?

Pete, feel free to merge this if appropriate.

Default Re: Homeland question?

That was more like two years ago, I think; it was the Homeland at May and Britton, and the garden was to be located on the roof of the store. I suspect, but it's just a guess, that the engineers discovered that the roof could not stand the weight, and the plan went quietly into that dark night from whence none returneth...

I remember that. I found the Oklahoman story from 2012. New greenhouse to be built to supply Homeland with fresh produce | News OK

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's it, good job. Too bad there's been no movement on this.

Default Homeland Closing Store

Homeland is closing their NW Expressway and MacArthur location. Shutting down in October. That's all I know.

Default Re: Homeland Closing Store

I see this thread title and I immediately wish for 18th & Classen only to be disappointed.

If this is true I hope they will work to place the employees elsewhere. For many years that store has employed a number of "special needs" people who might find difficulty finding other employment.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If this is true I hope they will work to place the employees elsewhere. For many years that store has employed a number of "special needs" people who might find difficulty finding other employment.
    Yes, you are right about that.

It's definitely true. A Homeland employee lives two doors down and she was crushed this evening. Crying, very upset. She told us what they were told today. I called a friend whose daughter works there and the daughter wasn't there, but he told me, "They told the managers today that the store was closing in October." No promises on jobs in other stores. These two hardly know one another - it's true.

12. Default Re: Homeland Closing Store

They've been putting some money into the store at 122nd & Rockwell. New flooring, paint, a new cheese bar, a new fruit bar and new interior signage. Something like what N. May & Britton has. I guess they decided to close NW Exp. instead of upgrading it. The two aren't that far apart.

13. Default Re: Homeland Closing Store

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I see this thread title and I immediately wish for 18th & Classen only to be disappointed.
    This store is slated to get a makeover.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're not closing the one in Chatney. It has really gone down in cleanliness, lighting, etc. So sad. Hard to compete with Crest, but lots of folks do prefer to go there. The deli and meat counters are just unhealthy looking.

Yet, somehow the store on 122nd and May still lives on.

With all the new grocery stores coming into the market, I suspect we'll see more of their stores close.

If they can't hack it at MacArthur & NW Expressway, they are in deep trouble.

It will be interesting to see how the one on Britton and May does once Natural Grocers and Uptown Grocery opens.

Hey OO, where is Chatney?

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    Frankly, I'm surprised they're not closing the one in Chatney. It has really gone down in cleanliness, lighting, etc. So sad. Hard to compete with Crest, but lots of folks do prefer to go there. The deli and meat counters are just unhealthy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the one on Britton and May does once Natural Grocers and Uptown Grocery opens.
    Living in The Village, I've been wondering the same thing. I really like what they have done with the Homeland over the past few years. They have a great cheese section and deli, a good produce department, a very good meat counter and generally have everything I might be looking for from a grocery store. Plus the staff is very friendly. That being said, one reason I might shop at the new Uptown Grocery is due to the fact that it will be in the Village City Limits and therefore some of the sales taxes will go to The Village. On the other hand, I almost NEVER go to the Walmart Neighborhood Market, even though it is closer to the house than the Homeland and is also in The Village. It's just . . . the Walmart connect that puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I was thinking that the Homeland spokesperson said that this location needs a $2M makeover and was suggesting that the city help pay for it. Maybe I was reading between the lines?

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Suspect he's referring to the Homeland in Chatenay Square on SW 104th and Penn.

This has been a troubled retail grocery location since it first opened many years ago, back when Buchanan's was still a major grocery player in SW Oklahoma City. It's gone from Homeland to Albertson's and back to Homeland, and perhaps one other in the mix - there was a history there involving an original grocery tenant that started/signed on, but then fell through, followed by some legal threats and entanglements about someone being contractually obligated to provide a grocery tenant for the spot.

The original store, years ago, was nice, with a deli and an eat-in seating area, much bigger/nicer bakery, just a nicer overall concept, and then - poof - gone. Albertson's moved over from their store on SW 104th and Western, and it was nice for a while, then they went kaput, and back to Homeland it went - but it's never been as nice as the original, and I agree its fallen into a lapse of interest...maybe not true disrepair, but it surely isn't a destination store any longer - and they've always maintained high Homeland prices which made it a very limited (to be generous) player for us over the years, especially so with Crest.

Last time I was in there it had all the trappings of a place that could just be closed at any second, looks like was stuck in an 80's-90's time warp, not very appealing, and I can't imagine the folks who run Chatenay are crazy about how they've treated the property given they really do aspire to nicer retail establishments there. Hard for me to see how the place will survive in the long run. We'll see, I guess.

Homeland on NW122 and Rockwell will probably be around for a long, long time (good location) with all the new housing in the area. But then again...ya never know.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Located on the SE corner of SW 104th & S. Penn in the Chateney Square Shopping Center. The store used to be an Albertson's before being taken over by Homeland. When it first opened, it was "the" place to shop in that SW area...then the new Crest opened at SW 104th & S. May...and the Homeland did not keep up its interior, etc. The folks who work there are super nice, but the store is just not like it should be. It is comparable to the one at NW 122 & N. May. SoonerDave is spot on in his description!

If there is any truth to the rumor going around that a Sprouts might go in across the street on the property currently for sale, then Homeland is definitely toast. We've heard that story about the "requirement" that there had to be a grocery store in Chateney Square too. Always wondered the basis for that. They could turn the Homeland into a Sprouts, and with a complete remodel, update, etc., it would do well in that demographic area.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Unless their "makeover" uses a large bulldozer, they're wasting their money.

When I lived the are the 122nd & May store was one of the nicest Homeland stores....of course the apartments in the area were as well.

Thread Information