Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

If they're getting rid of that side lot they should go ahead and expand all the way to the sidewalk, so they don't have to do it later...

2. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    If they're getting rid of that side lot they should go ahead and expand all the way to the sidewalk, so they don't have to do it later...
    There's probably some city ordinance about how closed the the sidewalk/street they can build. Maybe not but I would bet there is.

With additional residential properties being built just off Classen that location is going to get busier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    There's probably some city ordinance about how closed the the sidewalk/street they can build. Maybe not but I would bet there is.
    Well, I really meant to build out as far as they can, I get that they might not actually be able to go to the sidewalk, but surely what they're doing is not as far as they can go....

They may be limited in how much square footage they can build due to minimum parking code requirements.

Blog Entries

But..... they're removing parking regardless.....

I understand, though. Removing parking is fine to a point if they don't build. Maybe they could get a variance?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    But..... they're removing parking regardless.....

I understand, though. Removing parking is fine to a point if they don't build. Maybe they could get a variance?
    I'm not sure if parking codes apply here; there are areas of OKC that are exempt, like downtown and most of our urban districts.

But otherwise, if you add SF you have to add the appropriate # of parking spaces.

This is why so many people think that parking requirements should never be imposed by a city. Let the property owners deal with that issue.

I don't know if it's feasible here and it could be cost prohibitive but having a small parking garage for a supermarket is not that unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I don't know if it's feasible here and it could be cost prohibitive but having a small parking garage for a supermarket is not that unusual.
    Pretty sure there's no land anywhere around it that could be utilized for that purpose, and there's not really a way to replace the surface lot with one.

Does the parking area just north across the street belong to the Dowell offices? I mean the lot in the rear of that red tiled awning building with the key shop?

Maybe a snow cone stand could open there, or a small building that sells takeout food.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Homeland is planning a small addition to the west side of its store at NW 18th & Classen which will expand their refrigerated/frozen food capacity.

They will also remove that small parking lot on the west side of the building and add landscaping.
    Asked our regular cashier today about this and her response was (pretty much verbatim) "I don't expect it to start until 2023, it's going to be a mess."

They ripped up the entrance and are redoing it.

18th and classen

Blog Entries

At noon today, the parking lot at 18th and Classen closed off by multiple police, wonder what’s happening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    At noon today, the parking lot at 18th and Classen closed off by multiple police, wonder what’s happening.
    Now reporting a bomb scare, search under way

I have heard a rumor earlier this week that Kroger is currently in some stage of the process of buying out Homeland grocery stores. I have scoured the web but cannot find anything to confirm. it may just be a rumor, but where there is smoke fire can usually be found.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I have heard a rumor that Kroger is currently in some sort of the process of buying out Homeland grocery stores. I have scoured the web but cannot find anything to confirm. it may just be a rumor, but where there is smoke fire can usually be found.
    Is the smoke gray, blue or white? Water vapor sometimes looks like smoke. What is the source of this supposed “fire”?

I have heard a rumor earlier this week that Kroger is currently in some stage of the process of buying out Homeland grocery stores. I have scoured the web but cannot find anything to confirm. it may just be a rumor, but where there is smoke fire can usually be found.
    That would be amazing.

And a tribute to what the new leadership of Homeland has accomplished because, before that, Homeland was not in the same universe as Kroger stores.

OMG that would be freaking awesome!!

When I lived in California, I shopped exclusively at Ralph's which is the Kroger brand on the West Coast.

It's miles better than any main-stream grocer in OKC and their prices are very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Is the smoke gray, blue or white? Water vapor sometimes looks like smoke. What is the source of this supposed “fire”?
    It's an acquaintance of mine in the local financial industry. Like I said, I am unable to confirm this anywhere and have brought it up on this website in hopes Pete or some of the higher powers here can dig something up.

If this happened I would be overjoyed. I shopped at Kroger for years in the DFW area before moving here and they are fantastic stores. My parent's still shop there and are very loyal to the brand.

It's an acquaintance of mine in the local financial industry here. Like I said, I am unable to confirm this anywhere and have brought it up on this website in hopes Pete or some of the higher powers here can dig something up.
    Appreciate it.

I'll see what I can find out.

I imagine it would just be their OKC Flagship stores. Homeland's that are still around in rural Oklahoma don't seem like they would fit into Kroger's model, or if they are all bought up by the chain, they would be rebranded into another one of Kroger's smaller grocery brands like Food 4 Less.

BTW, I know for a fact that before they went the delivery route they were scouting for brick-and-mortar sites in and around OKC.

I believe the pandemic torpedoed all that but hopefully now this would be another way in.

They already have massive distribution facilities in the DFW area which could easily serve this market.

That would be great, since we are actually stopping shopping at Homeland, after using the Classen store for 6+ years. Their frozen meals are sometimes a solid block (been thawed and refrozen at some point), they stop carrying things we like, just various little things that are adding up, and the last straw was them carrying Dietz & Watson deli meat/cheese instead of Boar's Head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That would be great, since we are actually stopping shopping at Homeland, after using the Classen store for 6+ years. Their frozen meals are sometimes a solid block (been thawed and refrozen at some point), they stop carrying things we like, just various little things that are adding up, and the last straw was them carrying Dietz & Watson deli meat/cheese instead of Boar's Head.
    We were thrilled when the OKC Target stores with a full deli started carrying Boar's Head meat and cheese.

Thread Information