Widgets Magazine
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    I think we are comparing apples and oranges with grocery stores and gas stations. Most people have a regular grocery store they go to at predictable intervals. However, most people will just get gas at whatever station is close and whenever they need it. People see a new or remodeled grocery store in their neighborhood and begin to use that one as their primary; whereas a person will get gas anywhere along their commute or when they are just driving around town. I certainly have preferences to which gas stations I use, but I don't treat them the same as a grocer.
    I agree with this. I typically get gas at this awful Circle K because it's what is close to where I work and it's convenient. There's also an OnCue and a new format 7-11 nearby but the Circle K is a bit closer so I just go there.

Based only on the threads on this forum, you're both outliers. People are flocking to OnCue like flies to honey. My personal experience is my 'preferred' OnCue is generally out of my way, but I'll still go there.

Based on how the market has played out, I'm going to say it's more like comparing Honeycrisp to Red Delicious.

Sure, I prefer OnCue as well and wil go a few blocks out of the way to fill up there, but getting gas and getting groceries are still two incomparable errands. Gas can be aquired at any station around the city at any time and many people have a brand preference, but groceries are typically only gotten close to home and as a final stop because those groceries need to be put back into a fridge or freezer relatively quickly.

While I was talking about the business practices of the two companies, I now believe you were talking about consumer preferences. In which case, the last few pages are filled with comments saying shopping at the location in question would have been more convenient, but they still did not shop there. I personally drive past multiple grocery stores to get to my regular ones, as do most people.

Blog Entries

I think trying to compare why someone buys at a particular service station to why someone selects a grocery store is pointless. They are very different buying strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I think trying to compare why someone buys at a particular service station to why someone selects a grocery store is pointless. They are very different buying strategies.
    Off-topic, as well. Not sure how it got diverted, but back to the point, Homeland would do very well to see this as the start of many such projects rather than the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If I was CEO of Homeland, I would really be thinking about how to offer a superior beer/wine section than what Wal-Mart will be able to offer.
    Bingo, my thoughts exactly

8. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If I was CEO of Homeland, I would start thinking about the new liquor laws and how to implement a more extensive beer/wine selection than what Wal-Mart and Target will be able to offer. Mid-range grocers greatly benefit this way in other markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Bingo, my thoughts exactly
    They have assigned a guy that I think is very good to study and implement how wine/ beer will be marketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    They have assigned a guy that I think is very good to study and implement how wine/ beer will be marketed.
    Good news! Every once in a while I forget that one-stop grocery shopping is only a few short months away.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Good news! Every once in a while I forget that one-stop grocery shopping is only a few short months away.
    I was just going to say that this October change is sneaking up on us.

I'm really excited to see how grocers and specialty stores offer beer and wine.

In California, I bought almost all that stuff at Costco (fantastic items and prices) and that now seems like a distant memory.

Here's what a typical wine section at Harris Teeter looks like.

I stopped by the Homeland at NW 18th & Classen yesterday in the middle of the afternoon and...

It was very busy. As in more cars and people than I had ever seen before the remodel, and this was on a Tuesday at 3:30PM.

Not only is the store a million times nicer, the employees seemed happier and the entire experience is like night and day.

I sure hope the new leadership at Homeland will continue to upgrade their exisitng stores. I know the middle-market grocers are struggling these days but there seems to be real need and demand for nicer, mainstream grocery stores in OKC.

^^^^ good news, we always run the 23rd st gauntlet from uptown to Warr acres to hit Aldi, Crest, and the little Morelo’s Mercado (which I HIGHLY recommend for butchered meats and Mexican staples) weekly. This sounds promising that I can go buy some fresh veg or supplemental.

14. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I stopped by the Homeland at NW 18th & Classen yesterday in the middle of the afternoon and...

It was very busy. As in more cars and people than I had ever seen before the remodel, and this was on a Tuesday at 3:30PM.

Not only is the store a million times nicer, the employees seemed happier and the entire experience is like night and day.

I sure hope the new leadership at Homeland will continue to upgrade their exisitng stores. I know the middle-market grocers are struggling these days but there seems to be real need and demand for nicer, mainstream grocery stores in OKC.
    Yes, it's so so so much better, I find myself in there quite often now, and stumble upon new finds to pick up. Really glad this happened

15. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

18th & Classen has started to display their new wine selection, with signs stating no sales until October 1st

Blog Entries

18th/Classen parking lot already falling apart. Not sure if shoddy workmanship or something else. A big stretch of the lot has huge cracks. And they've torn up another part, presumably for repairs.

With the recent remodel, they merely did a top coat of asphalt to what was already there.

Blog Entries

oh dang, well that was definitely an error in judgement

19. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    oh dang, well that was definitely an error in judgement
    Same error the city makes ALL the time. They’re doing Rockwell from the Expressway to Hefner right now and it done just a few years ago.

It looks like they are putting in a drain or something by the front door. The concrete is all torn up. It has been flooding often with all of the rain this year.

Blog Entries

Just went on a trip up May, the Homeland at Britton has done some changes, the entire cheese island up front is gone, as well as the fresh(which they usually weren’t) organic section, and the bakery has been greatly reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Just went on a trip up May, the Homeland at Britton has done some changes, the entire cheese island up front is gone, as well as the fresh(which they usually weren’t) organic section, and the bakery has been greatly reduced.
    They rearranged almost the entire store. Shoppers are wandering around like lost mice in a maze.

Thought there might be some discussion on this thread about the new Homeland planned at 36th and Lincoln. I think their main warehouse is slightly west of it on NE 36th. I'm thrilled to see this happening for NE side. I gave up on Homeland back when the store at Classen and NW 18 fell into disarray and price points shot up. The CEO and Councilor Nikki Nice's ability to get this going, make me consider giving Homeland another chance because I think this is a great investment in local community.

^

The new CEO has done all the right things IMO.

It's a very tough business yet they are spending money and seem genuinely interested in the community.

If you haven't been to the remodeled store at 18th & Classen, you should. It's pretty great.

25. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

This is off topic, but I couldn't find a thread discussing this. Does anyone know what is taking the place of the former Buy For Less on Pennsylvania just north of NW 23rd? Some construction is obvious but I could not find any signs of what is happening. I guess that it is too much to hope for a Crest market.

Thread Information