Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

terryinokc Guest

Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Actually the store at 122nd and Penn was a Food 4 Less. There was also one in Del City.

2. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

The Homeland at Bryant & Danforth in Edmond is nice (not Uptown Market nice) and consistently busy. This is one of the stores that Homeland keeps updated.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    The Homeland at Bryant & Danforth in Edmond is nice (not Uptown Market nice) and consistently busy. This is one of the stores that Homeland keeps updated.
    Same with 122nd and Rockwell.

And yeah the closing of the 122nd and May store effects people to the north and west more than to the south and east. A few miles south you have the flagship Homeland at Britton and May and will soon have Uptown Market. Going east you have Wal-Mart and Target. Going north though, you pretty much have nothing and going west, the closest grocery store is the 122nd and Rockwell Homeland, which for a suburban area as densely populated as that part of OKC, is very far.

4. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

I've always wondered why they never invested any money to keep stores updated and why they ever built them as SMALL as they do. Everywhere you look, they are small stores with low stock volume. You'd think that with the number of stores they have, they would be able to negotiate a good price on goods and thus be able to stock them well. But instead, you see store after store that's been closed and then built elsewhere with the same failing footprint....and in WEIRD locations. They seem to like the model of the failed Albertsons stores rather than a good local competitor that really does well, Crest.

I'm not a fan of the Crest family and the way they treat their employees, but one thing they've always done, is make an effort to keep their stores updated (ALL of them, even their oldest dump that was the first store). They work to try to include the features from the newest plans into the older ones (where they can), and build on a LARGE footprint. The smallest Crest out there (original one) is about the size of the average Homeland and ALL of the others, even the ones they took from other chains, are larger. It's definitely a brand thing, NOT a location thing because one of the few footprint exceptions is the Moore Crest location on Eastern. It used to be a Homeland that went under, Crest moves in and the place is full. One of the other successes in the Homeland fleet is also a store they didn't build in the old Albertsons in Del City, which was again, larger than the normal Albertsons and nicer. But I will say that since Homeland took over, they've managed to allow it to start to look more shabby inside and are NOT keeping it up.

The Crest at Rockwell and Hefner began as a Safeway more than 30 years ago, turned into a Homeland when Safeway left the state, and finally became Crest. Having shopped there through all its three incarnations, I can report that the current version is by far the best of the three even though the stock doesn't compare to that available at the big Buy 4 Less on NW Hiway or the Homeland at NW 63 and Britton.

Back in 1982, when I moved to my current home near NW 122 and Council, we had four large supermarkets from which to choose: the Safeway at Rockwell and Hefner, Jim's at NW 122 and MacArthur, a McCartney's at NW Hiway and Rockwell (now Aldi's and only 1/4 the floor space with less that 1/4 the variety), and an IGA in Rockwell Plaza approximately where PetSmart is now located (much smaller than either of the others, and the first to go out of business).

Food Lion later built what is now the MidFirst offices on Rockwell just north of Hefner, but didn't last very long. The others, too, all dropped out over the years, while Albertson's built at NW 122 and Rockwell (which had a very brief period as a Williams. selling outdated stock at cut-rate prices, before becoming the current Homeland), and Walmart built just north of the old Food Lion. It's been a rather unsettled scene, and I honestly don't expect that to change much...

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I've always wondered why they never invested any money to keep stores updated and why they ever built them as SMALL as they do. Everywhere you look, they are small stores with low stock volume. You'd think that with the number of stores they have, they would be able to negotiate a good price on goods and thus be able to stock them well. But instead, you see store after store that's been closed and then built elsewhere with the same failing footprint....and in WEIRD locations. They seem to like the model of the failed Albertsons stores rather than a good local competitor that really does well, Crest.

I'm not a fan of the Crest family and the way they treat their employees, but one thing they've always done, is make an effort to keep their stores updated (ALL of them, even their oldest dump that was the first store). They work to try to include the features from the newest plans into the older ones (where they can), and build on a LARGE footprint. The smallest Crest out there (original one) is about the size of the average Homeland and ALL of the others, even the ones they took from other chains, are larger. It's definitely a brand thing, NOT a location thing because one of the few footprint exceptions is the Moore Crest location on Eastern. It used to be a Homeland that went under, Crest moves in and the place is full. One of the other successes in the Homeland fleet is also a store they didn't build in the old Albertsons in Del City, which was again, larger than the normal Albertsons and nicer. But I will say that since Homeland took over, they've managed to allow it to start to look more shabby inside and are NOT keeping it up.
    I don't think Homeland has actually opened a NEW store in decades. Most of their stores have been acquired from other grocers. Back when most of them were built that size was pretty standard.

The Del City location is decent, but I understand what you mean about them not keeping it up. That is very much the same story as the SW 104th and Penn location and its ultimately what killed the NW Expressway and MacArthur location. They really let that location go. Thing is, people will actually shop at the nice, well-kept Homelands. The NW 122nd and Rockwell location is much busier now than it was before they remodeled it. I don't know why they don't apply the same standard to all their locations across the board.

OKC's grocery market has been hurting for years under the weight of Homeland and Wal-Mart saturation, but Albertson's pulling out of the market was a huge blow. I wish Reasor's or Kroger would just buy them out.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Crest family and the way they treat their employees...
    Just curious, how do they treat their employees poorly? I have never heard anything about this reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Just curious, how do they treat their employees poorly? I have never heard anything about this reputation.
    Their treatment of their employees is legend in the industry. Many stories available, I personally have a few with only a brief six month exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergooner View Post
    Their treatment of their employees is legend in the industry. Many stories available, I personally have a few with only a brief six month exposure.
    Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I think (hopefully) that things are on more of an even keel than it used to be. . . have personally experienced some things that infuriated me (Old Crest. . late 80s). I sincerely hope the "culture" has changed. . . .as for now. . . I only shop Crest for some staples. . .but not so much for anything else. i understand that they have to stock for what sells in the area ( and they definitely focus on the demographics of the area, as well they should). . . but portabello mushrooms @ 9.99 a lb when Sprouts has them for $3.99?? And yes. . . I have brought this to the attention of the produce manager. . . to no avail. As with any "shopping emporium". . .shop aware!!

Quote Originally Posted by soonergooner View Post
    second. . .

I shop regularly at the Del City Homeland and love the quality of service I receive. After my year in the hospital and six surgeries, I am only mobile with the use of a rollator (4 wheeled Walker). I hate using the scooter, since I need to keep my legs moving to keep my mobility.
    So, I wander up and down the aisles of Homeland, dragging my rollator behind me. Every employee in the store watches out for me and checks to make sure I'm ok and able to reach what I need!
    And when I check out, the employees unload my basket, sack my groceries, take them to the car and won't accept a tip!
    Try getting that kind of assistance at Walmart, Crest or even WF. I'll take a slightly shabby store with employees who care about their elderly or disabled customers any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    I shop regularly at the Del City Homeland and love the quality of service I receive. After my year in the hospital and six surgeries, I am only mobile with the use of a rollator (4 wheeled Walker). I hate using the scooter, since I need to keep my legs moving to keep my mobility.
    So, I wander up and down the aisles of Homeland, dragging my rollator behind me. Every employee in the store watches out for me and checks to make sure I'm ok and able to reach what I need!
    And when I check out, the employees unload my basket, sack my groceries, take them to the car and won't accept a tip!
    Try getting that kind of assistance at Walmart, Crest or even WF. I'll take a slightly shabby store with employees who care about their elderly or disabled customers any day!
    Lauri,
    I like that Homeland, I have been there several times, but I live close to the Walmart on I-35 and 15th in Edmond and they always offer to help me out with my groceries. I always turn them down because I can handle it. I ride my own (purchased with my money, not Medicare's) scooter and am quite capable of pulling the basket, unloading my groceries into my trunk, and returning the basket to the store. Maybe not quite as friendly, but they have never failed to offer help to me. I think it's people, not stores that are friendly and the folks working at Walmart are no different than those working at other stores. By the way, I only use the scooter because I tend to "pass out" when walking, but I would prefer to use a rollator. Hopefully, I will improve and I like the Drive Nitro with the big wheels.
    C. T.

Wow, Laurie. That is an incredible rebound on your part. I can't imagine one week in the hospital, but one year? I hope your recovery, from whatever happened, continues. Best wishes to you...what a fighter.

Thanks, Zookeeper - I got a bacterial infection (Mensa, followed by E. Coli) in an open would during routine surgery. The other surgeries were to clean out infections, with the final one to fuse my lower spine together after a nursuping home employee dropped from 2 feet into air. Long story short, I was tod I'd likely never walk again. I said " wanna bet" and with the help at Jim Thorpe rehab, I am walking slowly, but walking!

15. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Lauri - didn't happen to be at Midwest Regional did it? With the way things have been going there, I'm surprised anyone ever makes it out of there.

Thanks, Zookeeper - I got a bacterial infection (Mensa, followed by E. Coli) in an open would during routine surgery. The other surgeries were to clean out infections, with the final one to fuse my lower spine together after a nursuping home employee dropped from 2 feet into air. Long story short, I was tod I'd likely never walk again. I said " wanna bet" and with the help at Jim Thorpe rehab, I am walking slowly, but walking!
    Wow. You have enough to write a book that could only sound like fiction. That you went through all that is amazing and tugs at my heart. Truly.
    One step at a time, Laurie. You are walking and who can be surprised? You are an inspiration. I'll be thinking of you!

Homeland carries Boar's Head premium deli products. This is reason alone to go to Homeland and is actually pretty much the only reason why I'm a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Homeland carries Boar's Head premium deli products. This is reason alone to go to Homeland and is actually pretty much the only reason why I'm a customer.
    No Boars Head products at 18th and Classen. No surprise there, given the third world nature of their product line here.

Anybody have any ideas what is to become of the now closed Homeland at NW 122nd and May? I still think that is a good location and Homeland failing there had more to do with the fact they completely let that location go rather than it being a bad location.

Drove by the old Homeland Express location at NW Hiway and MacArthur yesterday, and there was world class dirt work going on. Looked as if they might be digging a full basement; the pit was much too big to be excavation of the old gas tanks. Anybody know what's going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Drove by the old Homeland Express location at NW Hiway and MacArthur yesterday, and there was world class dirt work going on. Looked as if they might be digging a full basement; the pit was much too big to be excavation of the old gas tanks. Anybody know what's going on there?
    This was the last post in the Zaxby's thread.

from today's NewsOK:

"• Smyrna, Ga.-based SJAC Food Groups Holding LLC paid $1.1 million to Trason Global Realty LLC and Tri-County Apartment Development Association for 0.6558 acre at 5859 Northwest Expressway. Stuart Graham and Mark Inman handled the sale."

SJAC is the holding company for Zaxby's. The location is the NE corner of NW Expy and MacArthur where the old Express gas station was.

Thanks! I hadn't seen the Zaxby's thread.

Hi All - I received an email earlier this week informing me that representatives from Homeland would like community help completing the survey linked below in order to gain insight on how to make the Homeland at Classen and 18th more enjoyable to shoppers.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Homeland153

Please, please, please take the survey so that Homeland can capture our feedback and strive to better provide for the community's needs. Feel free to pass along the link as well!

It looks like another one bites the dust.

Edmond Homeland will close Nov. 25 | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It looks like another one bites the dust.

Edmond Homeland will close Nov. 25 | News OK
    To me this looks like good strategy. Finally. They seem to be shutting down the older, poorly performing stores and investing in major upgrades to other stores. I think we can expect some good news for 18th and Classen. The article also specifically mentions $1 million renovations for two of their better stores. In the end, I think we'll see a Homeland with fewer stores, finally closing the older stores and - pardon the cliche - ending up with a leaner, meaner grocery operation.

Thread Information