Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Creek Plaza

Default Spring Creek Plaza

Can't believe there isn't a thread for this. Anyhow, there is now.

Spring Creek Plaza is a very nice shopping center that has some mid-upscale stores with beautiful landscaping.

Here is a nice picture and their website:

Spring Creek

Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Here is the main reason I created this thread today though. The Panera Bread is requesting a drive thru window in the back. The planning commission denied it and it now goes to the city council. I support it.

Drive-up window denied for Panera
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Panera Bread was denied approval by the Edmond Planning Commission this week for adding a drive-through window at the back of the restaurant.

The vote was 2-3 against the request made by Ron Ward, owner of the Springcreek Village Shopping Center. Panera Bread is located on the northeast corner of 15th Street and Bryant Avenue.

“What they’d like to do is add a window on the east side of the property,” said Bob Schiermeyer, city planner.

The retaining wall on the east side of the property would be realigned to allow for pick-up window traffic and service and emergency vehicles to have adequate lane width for access, Schiermeyer said.

They would widen the lane so there would be enough room for fire trucks and service vehicles on two lanes of traffic, Schiermeyer said.

A new edge to the property would be established, Schiermeyer said. The land to the east is zoned for single family use but is projected for commercial office space.

“They do have to drive around the whole back of the area,” Schiermeyer said. “I’m convinced that based on the quality of this restaurant that customers would be happy to do this. But it is unusual.”

Panera Bread District Manager Mike Cassidy said the restaurant serves between 1,200-1,500 customers a day. No more than five or six cars at a time are projected to use the service window, Cassidy said.

- See more at: Drive-up window denied for Panera » Local News » The Edmond Sun

The entire Spring Creek development is currently the nicest in the OKC metro, by far.

Given how many NIMBYs are in the neighborhood surrounding that shopping center, I will be surprised if there isn't a huge fight against a drive thru at Panera.

I hate NIMBY's like a sickness. I don't care what good these people do. They are dumb and belong out in the middle of nowhere if they are going to protest everything that comes up. Fuming just thinking about it.

Edmond denies everything..

6. Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

well there isn't a neighborhood behind Panera just a piece of land that is supposedly going to be the entrance to the reasors/grocery store development. so maybe that had something to do with it.

The problem is along the lines of give an inch.. give a mile. Exceptions were made in the first place, and they keep asking for more exception. It's not a NIMBY problem, but if you don't like the rules/zoning conditions in the first place, then don't build there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    that is certainly debateable. There's another thread on here discussing Spring Creek vs Classen Curve and imho Spring Creek isn't near what it could or should be.
    It's very debateable. They took a beautiful parklike residential area, and turned it into a giant parking lot. Some folks want to live in OKC so bad, but rather than move there, they'd rather convert Edmond.

If you're primary concern is having peace and quiet with no noise and traffic whatsoever, you might want to consider living in a small town away from everyone and everything where development has no chance of ever taking off. Edmond has higher standards and stricter ordinances than OKC. It is however a growing suburb and growing suburbs are going to have new businesses moving in. There is nothing about an upscale grocery store that will cause problems or a decrease in property values for residents of the Spring Creek area.

I know that, but the property owners have every right to try to maintain some standards in the area, and speak to the planning commission, and steer how development goes, without being call "power hunger assholes" by non-property owners in the area.

I deleted a bunch of posts that were far too inflammatory.

Please discuss topics respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The entire Spring Creek development is currently the nicest in the OKC metro, by far.

Given how many NIMBYs are in the neighborhood surrounding that shopping center, I will be surprised if there isn't a huge fight against a drive thru at Panera.
    I agree that Spring Creek is very nice. A drive thru probably isn't a great idea and Panera doesn't NEED one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I agree that Spring Creek is very nice. A drive thru probably isn't a great idea and Panera doesn't NEED one.
    This is crazy.

Why Spartan? Please tell the world why you think a drive through isn't needed? That isn't surprising coming from you. Honestly, I'd put more stake in Jerrywall's opinion seeing as he isn't biased on this. My understanding is that you're not exactly the biggest supporter on cars.

Seriously though, what does it matter? You won't even be able to see it. If you didn't hear about this on news, the majority of people complaining about this wouldn't have even known it was even there.

I think it is a good idea for this window. I normally would say no, but the location of Panera in the whole plaza makes it feasible. This would basically have cars lined up behind the store fronts in the rear where they will not be seen unless you are also in the line - not to mention it would not block any parking spaces (see Chick-fil-a at 2nd/bryant-ish).

Another reason this is good, is parking is a big problem in both of these shopping centers - having people trying to park and run in and grab something would be eliminated with this drive-thru. I only see this being advantageous to the entire SC Plaza.

my post wasn't inflamatory, I just said Spring Creek wasn't the best development. I didn't post what my true feelings for that sub par, doesn't get close to its potential development.

Ive seen on their social media accounts that Fuzzy's Tacos will be opening in the summer here. It also looks like Charming Charlie will be opening soon.

I went to the drive through the other day. Weird set up. You're picking up food 10 feet from dumpsters, and then driving around the back of the shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Ive seen on their social media accounts that Fuzzy's Tacos will be opening in the summer here. It also looks like Charming Charlie will be opening soon.
    How sure are you on both of these? Any timelines?

from fuzzy's www:

FUZZY'S TACO SHOP - EDMOND, OK (COMING SOON)
    1462 S. Bryant
    Edmond, OK 73034

Quote Originally Posted by OSUPeterson View Post
    How sure are you on both of these? Any timelines?
    Charming Charlie is now open. I think Fuzzy's said theyre opening this summer.

I visited Charming Charlie today. Decent, inexpensive stuff, organized by color, of all things.

Ground lit granite sign is nice. Not sure why they're getting a variance for only most of the tennents...

I don't know man. How can we be sure if we didn't vote on it?

But I do agree with you. I think this sign will be nice.

Thread Information