Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Creek Plaza

Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Edmond certainly allows a lot of shoddy development to move forward, but anything that attracts too much attention never goes over well.
    You mean like Spring Creek Village? Major rezoning. Spring Creek Plaza? Major rezoning and attention. The I-35 and 15th development? Campbell Corner? All of those had plenty of attention. Yeah, were there discussions and debates? Yup, but I expect it helped keep the developments of higher quality. Lots of high quality and high visibility developments have gone off without a hitch. I could list development after development. The ones that don't go through are the extreme minority.

And your comment about shoddy development? That just reenforces the justification for people to be skeptical and dubious. I could even point out examples where the design and plans were good, but the developer didn't follow through.

How can you compare any of those developments you listed to this one? Arguably, there isn't even a development in the entire state like let alone Edmond.

Campbell Corner. Great development. Not understanding how a developing a single building compared to a lifestyle center is appropriate. The building hardly got any attention until it started going up and almost zero opposition. I think there was like a couple protest letters.

Spring Creek Village and Plaza are upscale strip malls. Nothing more. There is absolutely nothing special about either of those developments except in Oklahoma standards they're nicer than a lot of other strip malls that exist in the state. They're also more than a decade old or getting close to it. I'm not sure exactly when they were built but I know it's been almost 10 years now.

I-35 and 15th development? Which one are you referring to? Integris? That didn't have that much opposition. Only attention it really got was good press to add to Edmonds economy.

Nothing really "game changing" has been built in Edmond. So I think Spartans comments are perfectly valid.

I'm not comparing the quality or the complexity. But, if what you're saying is true and there's never been one like it, then what validity do his comments have? Has anything like this ever been blocked or fought in Wind?

Also not sure why you're putting game changing in quotes like you're quoting me in regards to those developments. We were talking about developments that got attention. I'm not interested in the shift goalposts game.

As for 15th and I 35? There was a major, major fight. Either you didn't pay attention or were too young or both. I'm talking about where Walmart, Sam's, etc is. There were alsoajor fights involved at 15th and Bryant since those were all residential zones.

I put game changing in quotes because it's a term thrown a lot on OKCTalk. Nothing to do with you or anything you've said.

Yeah I don't remember that fight at 15th and I-35.

I understand people being skeptical of what's being built in their back yard but this looks to be a really good project. Meanwhile they allow something like this to be built. That appears to have been a horribly organized project and it's not even that big.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Agreed, if it's the only thing on the ballot. That's why I hope they stay home.
    I also believe the Edmond Mayoral election to be one of great significance to this particular project.

Isn't this supposed to be up for a vote sometime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Isn't this supposed to be up for a vote sometime soon?
    April 4

April 4
    Thanks

Thought you all would enjoy this that I just found.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRpHTBNw8o

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post

Funny. If we didn't have Mitch Park, and the various parks around Lake Arcadia I'd have more sympathy. I understand their position but this would be a good development.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post

This was comically bad. I loved the poor woman lost in the parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    This was comically bad. I loved the poor woman lost in the parking garage.
    Right? And of course, it wouldn't be an Edmond based video without I'll informed information, such as sort of bashing the idea of apartments (I mean, only poor people live in apartments). And how they talk down toward this OUT OF TOWN MEMPHIS DEVELOPER. #lol

And as far as I can tell, none of this development would eat into any part of the Human used part of Hafer, right? I get losing parts of the wilderness there is a blow to wilderness conservation, but other than that, Hafer Park is left totally untouched.

Funny. If we didn't have Mitch Park, and the various parks around Lake Arcadia I'd have more sympathy. I understand their position but this would be a good development.
    Edmond voters who support it need to make sure to get out and vote because all the NIMBYs will be out. That's one of the downsides to it being a special election. Only people who are passionate about it one way or another even care to show up to the ballot box. Generally, that favors the negative position over the positive position.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Edmond voters who support it need to make sure to get out and vote because all the NIMBYs will be out. That's one of the downsides to it being a special election. Only people who are passionate about it one way or another even care to show up to the ballot box. Generally, that favors the negative position over the positive position.
    There is also the mayoral (even though one of the candidates withdrew) and the primary for county sheriff, so there may be a better turnout than expected.

For those who can vote, a YES on the two questions will allow for the rezoning needed to allow this project to move forward. A NO keeps the current zoning in place.

More on this from recent NewsOK article

"This project would create approximately 800 new jobs," said Sherry Jordan, chamber president and CEO. "With an estimated investment of $150 million, it would give a tremendous boost to Edmond Public Schools through a significant increase in the ad valorem tax base.

http://newsok.com/edmond-voters-to-d...rticle/5543123

17. Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

We patronize both plaza's weekly (if not more) - mostly going between Fish City, Fuzzy's and Panera (love the drive through option).

Would love to see some of those vacant storefronts filled.

Well I was already leaning towards voting No, but this seals it for me:

The developer has said if there is no public financial assistance, he won't be coming to Edmond, Commons said.
    If you can't make your business plan work without corporate welfare, you probably don't have a very strong business plan. We don't need more whiny companies with their hands out.

There is already a ton of empty retail space around town, including at Spring Creek. This development could also be built many places that would not affect Hafer Park or any other park. I'd probably be fine with it, if it included a buffer, but I don't think it is worth giving up the quality of our parks for what will end up most likely being another half empty development in 20 years.

I am very much in favor of the concept and wish we got more Life Style development than endless tracts of strip centers, I just don't think it should be done at the expense of the park. For example, I live across the street from Coffee Creek Golf Course, I'd be completely fine if they put this on that corner.

I have been actively involved in this and it's looking more and more like this will get voted down. Chalk it up as another cool development in Edmond that won't happen.

I'm not happy about the fanancial assistance from the city, but I want to see how much. For now, I want this approved and then if they ask too much, something can be done later.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I have been actively involved in this and it's looking more and more like this will get voted down. Chalk it up as another cool development in Edmond that won't happen.

I'm not happy about the fanancial assistance from the city, but I want to see how much. For now, I want this approved and then if they ask too much, something can be done later.
    I don't know why you say that. I've not seen much momentum for a no vote. In fact I got a flyer in the mail yesterday promoting a yes vote, which is the only campaigning I've seen (if folks want I'll scan it and post ). I've been pushing a yes here and on the Edmond subreddit and with this being a mayor and sheriff election I think the turnout will be decent.

Absolutely voting no on this proposed development. Even considering 'supply and demand' element there is an oversupply of retail space not occupied in Edmond and which lets me know there isn't enough demand. Abundant availability of present retail space unused along with traffic at 15th and Bryant doubling or quadrupling just makes no sense to vote yes. I hope this vote fails and fails miserably.

Have any names been named in terms of retailers that will anchor this if its approved? I think if major retailers behind it were known, it might give some people more confidence to vote Yes. I can understand the worry that if this passes, it will get built and then they will have trouble filling it. This happened quite often in the late 2000s in other cities when they were building these things left and right.

I think the OKC metro needs at least one of these types of developments. Most cities had them a decade ago now. If this fails, there is still the Classen Curve expansion but that is also under NIMBY assault.

I wish they would name the anchors too. I know there is both a grocery and a theater in the plans but no known specifics. This is close to my mother's and grandmother's house so we are interested in moving there to be near them. I hope it passes. It will be unique in Oklahoma.

24. Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Wife and I are voting yes. So are all of our immediate neighbors and we live pretty close to this. I'm excited for this to be approved. The 'there is an abundance of empty retail spots already in Edmond' doesn't fly with me when you're talking about this type of development.

I understand the empty retail argument, except this is such a unique development it doesn't apply here.

Thread Information