Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Spring Creek Plaza

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Neither Yukon or El Reno wanted to be part of the RTA IIRC, which tells me all I need to know. Jones IMO is way too small. Guthrie I could see having that mentality, especially as they get Amtrak and such. For example I could see them then pushing for commuter rail access.

I’m talking long term but yeah Jones and el Reno have a ways to go. There Newcastle, Blanchard, Goldsby, Crescent etc…

3. Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m talking long term but yeah Jones and el Reno have a ways to go. There Newcastle, Blanchard, Goldsby, Crescent etc…
    Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Harrah
    Oh yeah they are situated very well along the new turnpike. I already saw some new neighborhoods popping up there.

5. Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Oh yeah they are situated very well along the new turnpike. I already saw some new neighborhoods popping up there.
    Yep... They are being very aggressive with new development and attempting to annex land from OKC

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    This whole "Save Hafer Park" non-sense is a real hot button issue for me. I use that park regularly, and more than the average Edmondite.

Two days before the City Council was to vote on it, there was a large plywood signs with "Save Hafer Park" on it and a bin full of flyers on neon paper. The flyers explained how the development tract "looks like Darth Vader's helmet" (that was a stretch) and how people getting married at the Duck Pond would have apartments as the back drop for their wedding photos. The also said "We've been fighting development on this tract for 15 years". Good for you, but why haven't you all done something in 15 years other than whine and complain. There were a few potentially valid criticisms including drainage, traffic and a lack of any landscaping on the site plan. But those are all things covered under building and zoning codes and is irrelevant. It was mostly fear mongering and really set me off. It really felt like they were using "Save Hafer Park" to mislead citizens that the big bad developer was going to ruin the park instead of having their argument stand on its own merits.

The worst part was, on two separate occasions my fiancé had people tell her in so many words "They are going to turn Hafer Park into apartments". The first time was an employee at Office Depot in Edmond where they had the flyers printed and the second time was at the UCO design lab. Fortunately, she set them straight, but how many misinformed Edmondite's will vote no because they think this is about Hafer Park instead of a vacant tract on the other side of the creek.
    Pretty spot on, regarding the lies from the NIMBY crowd. They do potray this as the park would be bulldozed when this is private land that is separated by a tree and very large creek buffer from Hafer Park.

This and all the other apartment fights really boils down to people not wanting renters moving to Edmond and possibly bringing their kids to Edmond schools. Simple as that really. The traffic, water, noise arguments hold absolutely no water.

Seems kind of crazy to spend $5 million to buy 20 acres of woods just to prevent private development from happening, because I'd guess another $3-5 million will be needed to actually make it accessible and make it a park. Spending $10 million for a small park expansion seems expensive, but at least Edmondites will get to decide that for themselves.

7. Default Re: Spring Creek Plaza

Honestly, my biggest concern is just that the development be attractive and preserve as much of that old tree canopy as possible. If the developer will do that and not just clear cut the entire plat, then I am good with it. Every community needs multi-family housing, but it can be done attractively and it can be done very unattractively. Honestly, this is my #1 concern about this potential project. If executed well on that beautiful, wooded tract, that could end up being a really nice addition to Edmond's housing portfolio.

The City of Edmond passed an ordinance in March that requires new residential development to have 20% tree canopy. I am not sure if this will apply to apartments, but I am pretty sure it does. From what I read, it doesn't apply to Eastern Red Cedar. If the property is less than 5 acres it doesn't apply, and if the site doesn't have trees planting is required.

I delivered pizza throughout Edmond for a couple of years in college and I've been to just about every apartment complex and residential neighborhood in Edmond. Spring Creek Apartments 1 mile to the east were always my favorite and I looked into moving there a couple of times. I'd like to think McKown can improve on Spring Creek apartments and develop what would likely be the most desirable apartment complex in Edmond.

In my opinion, instead of spending all that money to buy the land to add to Hafer Park, I'd rather see them take that same money and improve the existing Hafer Park. I think Hafer could use more trails that interconnect the loop. Maybe add some hiking and mountain biking trails because I think the east side of the park is under utilized. I'd rather see them fully utilize the existing asset rather than add more vacant land that will cost additional funds to be underutilized. If you could be one thing, you should be efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Honestly, my biggest concern is just that the development be attractive and preserve as much of that old tree canopy as possible. If the developer will do that and not just clear cut the entire plat, then I am good with it. Every community needs multi-family housing, but it can be done attractively and it can be done very unattractively. Honestly, this is my #1 concern about this potential project. If executed well on that beautiful, wooded tract, that could end up being a really nice addition to Edmond's housing portfolio.
    Edmond has implemented a tree preservation law now that will fine developers for clear cutting over a certain amount of trees.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This and all the other apartment fights really boils down to people not wanting renters moving to Edmond and possibly bringing their kids to Edmond schools. Simple as that really.
    There's nothing wrong with that attitude. Cities don't exist to serve the whims of developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that attitude. Cities don't exist to serve the whims of developers.
    Ah yes rationale for racism cool.

If that is the case, then the City of Edmond should eliminate multifamily zoning in all or part of the city and we don't have to keep wasting tax payer money on special elections every time someone wants to build an apartment complex. The City Council elected by the citizens of Edmond determined that this project met the requirements of the Edmond City Plan. The developer followed the rules, and the citizens don't like the rules. If the citizens don't want this type of development, the City of Edmond should change the zoning code to reflect that. Don't wait until after people invest their time and money into the community to decide which rules we want to follow.

I would hate to own a house that would lose value just because an apartment got built in the vicinity. That seems like a precarious investment.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    If that is the case, then the City of Edmond should eliminate multifamily zoning in all or part of the city and we don't have to keep wasting tax payer money on special elections every time someone wants to build an apartment complex. The City Council elected by the citizens of Edmond determined that this project met the requirements of the Edmond City Plan. The developer followed the rules, and the citizens don't like the rules. If the citizens don't want this type of development, the City of Edmond should change the zoning code to reflect that. Don't wait until after people invest their time and money into the community to decide which rules we want to follow.
    I mean... if this was the very first time this ever happened in Edmond, I'd say you had a valid complaint--but this isn't the first time this has happened in Edmond. If NIMBY folks weren't factored in when the project was conceived, then a mistake was made.

Ah yes rationale for racism cool.
    The underlying assumption is that you believe that only people of color are going to want to occupy multifamily housing in Edmond? Racist.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I would hate to own a house that would lose value just because an apartment got built in the vicinity. That seems like a precarious investment.
    Ask the folks at Coffee Creek. They lost a golf course and are getting multifamily housing and tiny lots. Generally real estate in Edmond is a good investment, but yeah, there's risk. And homeowners are going to push back any time their investment is threatened.

The underlying assumption is that you believe that only people of color are going to want to occupy multifamily housing in Edmond? Racist.
    Or maybe the fact this disproportionately impacts people of color.

Or maybe the fact this disproportionately impacts people of color.
    You'd have to get me the rate of occupancy of minorities in multifamily homes in Edmond. Do you know that number or are you just making race based assumptions? Maybe I don't want the class sizes in my kid's school to expand? And yeah, I was attracted to this part of Edmond because the traffic is really pretty manageable and it is pretty low density. The local elementary, however, has over 800 students, and it being basically across the street, there's going to be an impact there. None of those things have anything to do with race, and if there's a disproportionate impact, I don't know it.

You'd have to get me the rate of occupancy of minorities in multifamily homes in Edmond. Do you know that number or are you just making race based assumptions? Maybe I don't want the class sizes in my kid's school to expand? And yeah, I was attracted to this part of Edmond because the traffic is really pretty manageable and it is pretty low density. The local elementary, however, has over 800 students, and it being basically across the street, there's going to be an impact there. None of those things have anything to do with race, and if there's a disproportionate impact, I don't know it.
    I’m not going to have this debate with you. You made a stupid statement and I’m calling it out. Blocking multi family units in Edmond will disproportionately impact minorities. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous and I’m not the one making arguments for it.

You are coming off as extremely privileged.

It's not a stupid statement. You don't have data to back up your assumptions.

And if you don't have hundreds of thousands of your own money invested in a home less than a mile from this site, I'm not sure why your opinion counts.

I'll bet the minority homeowners in that part of town are more than likely to be on the same page as me on this subject.

And calling out someone's privilege while arguing for a multimillion dollar development which is going to negatively impact residents already in the area is ultra-privileged. No one is developing a multifamily housing project in order to serve minorities. It's to make money off of tenants. Exploit them and even keep them at an arm's length from home ownership by charging as much rent as they can get away with.

^^^ oh right because that’s how input works. You have to own hundreds of thousands of dollars of property nearby any proposed project to have a say. Gotcha.

The rest of your “points” are comical attempts to argue. Go argue with the fish.

Since I’m told by some well off lawyer that I don’t have data to back up my “assumptions” here’s a piece detailing how minorities are in fact less likely to own a home. The point of keeping multi family units out of Edmond will disproportionately impact minorities.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/resear...-homeownership

Since I’m told by some well off lawyer that I don’t have data to back up my “assumptions” here’s a piece detailing how minorities are in fact less likely to own a home. The point of keeping multi family units out of Edmond will disproportionately impact minorities.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/resear...-homeownership
    That has nothing to do with rates in NE Edmond. Try again.

^^^ oh right because that’s how input works. You have to own hundreds of thousands of dollars of property nearby any proposed project to have a say. Gotcha.
    Yup. This directly affects me. You are just an asshole with an opinion.

Thread Information