Widgets Magazine

Thread: Judge's Char-Grill

1. Default Judge's Char-Grill

Saw that Judge's Char-Grill just opened up in the building the last incarnation of Gary Dale's BBQ occupied.

Anyone made it in to try it yet?

2. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

Not yet, but what's the freaking deal with Gary Dale's? There have been so many BBQ joints in his buildings over near 29th/Douglas over the years. Most of them just ok....including Gary Dale's. You'd think that at some point, he would get the idea that people aren't going to come eat at his place...move on. Or figure out that your location sucks and stop building things and just get a space somewhere.

Look at Mr. Spriggs. Somehow, they have managed to stay open after a few moves. I don't care for their food, but it wouldn't hang around for 20 years if someone didn't like it. Unfortunately, I think the location they just moved to will be the death of them.

3. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

Where did Spriggs move to? They moved away from the converted Burger King already?

4. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Where did Spriggs move to? They moved away from the converted Burger King already?
    They had originally planned to move to 10th and Midwest Blvd. I've driven through there several times and have seen no activity from them.

I have heard a rumor that someone is putting a Q-raunt where Jim's Fried Chicken was but I don't know if that will be Sprigg's new location or not.

I do know that the owners of Moe's Smokehouse BBQ & Chicken just south of Britton on Western are/were the most recent owners of Jim's Fried Chicken. So maybe they are expanding their operations back to that location.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Not yet, but what's the freaking deal with Gary Dale's? There have been so many BBQ joints in his buildings over near 29th/Douglas over the years. Most of them just ok....including Gary Dale's. You'd think that at some point, he would get the idea that people aren't going to come eat at his place...move on. Or figure out that your location sucks and stop building things and just get a space somewhere.

Look at Mr. Spriggs. Somehow, they have managed to stay open after a few moves. I don't care for their food, but it wouldn't hang around for 20 years if someone didn't like it. Unfortunately, I think the location they just moved to will be the death of them.
    Can you verify that Sprigg's has re-opened the new location or not? So far I have not been able to find any activity out of them and assumed they were gone for good.

When Gary Dale's was in the building that Greyhound recently moved in to. They were the place to go. Stood in line many times to eat there in the 90's. But after they left that location they never seemed to stick anywhere very long. Does anyone even know if Gary Dale is still living or is it family that keeps popping back up with the name.

5. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

I never drive up near where they are moving to, so I couldn't tell you if they are open. But that also puts them that much closer to Spencer's. Personally, I don't go to Spencer's because I think they overcharge for everything on the menu and their ribs, to me, seem like gnawing on bone like a dog since they are so tough/dry (im a fall off the bone BBQ person)....but their sauce it awesome. People flock to Spencer's so they are going to be going strong for the foreseeable future. But if you put Spriggs up there, I just don't see them lasting. It didn't take long for Billy Simms to put Spriggs out on Air Depot. And towards the end of their Air Depot time, Spriggs' food just wasn't what it used to be. It became tough and just not tasty. I don't know if it changed management or someone was ill or what. Their sauce was always too vinegar heavy for me, but there are plenty people that love the place. But if they have to drive a few miles more to get there now, I just don't know if people will do it. Sprigg's was only a mile or so from their original location before. And closing without having the new building open is just a sure-fire way of killing the business. As you see here, people don't even know if it's open now. All the while, Billy Simms and Spencer's are going to be gobbling up the customers.

6. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

.... And towards the end of their Air Depot time, Spriggs' food just wasn't what it used to be. It became tough and just not tasty. I don't know if it changed management or someone was ill or what. ....
    I think they suffered the same fate that Mr Tee's did, and Leo's has to a degree.... New generation took the reins.

But if they have to drive a few miles more to get there now, I just don't know if people will do it. Sprigg's was only a mile or so from their original location before. And closing without having the new building open is just a sure-fire way of killing the business. As you see here, people don't even know if it's open now. All the while, Billy Simms and Spencer's are going to be gobbling up the customers.
    Yeah, I agree. 10th and Midwest Blvd isn't exactly a nice part of Midwest City and they were closed back in February when I did my OKC Broken Rib Tour. So 5 months gone and no sign of them yet. I think they are closed for good.

Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

Judge's is a Johnnie's knock off.

Basically the same menu. The tea even comes with an orange & lemon.

Heard that the owner used to work for Johnnie's

If you are a Johnnie's fan you will probably like this place.

The name sounds too much like that feeling you get when you are in front of a Judge.

9. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Judge's is a Johnnie's knock off.

Basically the same menu. The tea even comes with an orange & lemon.

Heard that the owner used to work for Johnnie's

If you are a Johnnie's fan you will probably like this place.
    I wondered about that when I read the menu and saw they were using shredded cheese.

Edit nm I found it

11. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

So...not trying to take this off-topic, but do I understand correctly that Mr. Spriggs' location on Air Depot (converted Burger King I believe) is no longer operating?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    So...not trying to take this off-topic, but do I understand correctly that Mr. Spriggs' location on Air Depot (converted Burger King I believe) is no longer operating?
    it closed a few months back. Theres been alot of rumors of a new location off ne10th i believe, but its not open and has been sitting vacant.

I might catch flack for this but I never really like spriggs, you can get a lot better Q at Leo's 10 minutes away or MWC Billy Sims has some surprising good quality (and consistant) bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    it closed a few months back. Theres been alot of rumors of a new location off ne10th i believe, but its not open and has been sitting vacant.

I might catch flack for this but I never really like spriggs, you can get a lot better Q at Leo's 10 minutes away or MWC Billy Sims has some surprising good quality (and consistant) bbq.
    The Mr Spriggs of Burger King building was not the same quality taste wise as the old Mr. Spriggs that was up near 29th. I think it lost its soul when they were forced to move

14. Default Re: Judge's Char-Grill

Yeah Spriggs on 29th was much better. A number of years ago there was a Lincoln location that was good (but not as good as MWC) and also in the '90s a downtown location for a brief glorious moment in the Santa Fe Parking Garage where Red Earth now is. That location surely went broke selling rib dinners to me for $5 a holler at lunch time. I always thought I should tell them they weren't charging enough - but of course didn't really want to - and one day it was too late.

I think Spriggs suffered from having various siblings take on different stores (much like Leo's), which led to inconsistency. Some stores were good at business, some were good at 'cue, but apparently none of them were good at both.

First ive never been a huge johnnies fan and we tried Judges this evening. It was good, pretty much a clone to Johnnies except with out as good theta sauce.(imho) Everything had good flavor and the improvements I would suggest would be not automatic well done on burgers and get one style of really good fries and drop the natural cut and curly fries option.

If you like johnnies and don't want to go to drive to 240 then this will be a good substitute.

Thread Information