Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: George

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Founders Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think it's dead or at least completely stalled.

Was supposed to be open last fall; they had already created all their plans and done a bunch of work.

They have not updated their Facebook page since February.

The update I was given from last week was that they were planning on being open at the end of this week. Certainly I would think by the end of the month! I hear the space is done and is really slick.

Default Re: Founders Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    The update I was given from last week was that they were planning on being open at the end of this week. Certainly I would think by the end of the month! I hear the space is done and is really slick.
    Great news!

They had gone so quiet for so long and had missed their previous target badly, so I feared the worst.

Thanks for the info.

This was just posted by Dave Cathey today:

By George, the opening is near

It’s been far longer than any of the parties involved dared believe, but The George Prime Steakhouse will soon be open.

I have seen with my own eyes the dining room, kitchen and bar perched atop the Founders Tower, and I can report it is ready for business. However, the restaurant concept conceived by Kevin George, of the Interurban restaurant group, and executed by chef Josh Valentine still had a of couple i’s and t’s in need of dots and crosses from the city before it opens its doors to the public.

With even a modicum of good luck — which George, Valentine and staff are way overdue in receiving — the restaurant will be open by June 1. You’ll excuse George and his staff from offering an official opening date right now for fear of waking some yet unforeseen jinx on what’s already been a trying time.

Be patient and rest assured you will be able to eat a prime steak while watching the Fourth of July fireworks from high above northwest Oklahoma City at The George. And when you do, there’s a great chance it won’t be on your first visit to the new restaurant.
    http://newsok.com/open-flame-returns...rticle/4746783

The George will host a private event on Wednesday and should be opening very soon:

Look Up in the Sky...It's The George, readying to stuff you with prime beef! | News OK

Default Re: George

By George they did it. THEY DID IT!

man, im super excited to try this place out. met Chef Valentine before and seems like a really good guy. hope this place is a huge success!

8. Default Re: George

Have a reservation for July 19th.... Giving them a month to get all the kinks worked out.

The George will offer lunch and dinner services and has a full bar. It also includes a Chef’s Table outside the kitchen window, intimate two-tops along the north edge of the space and low-lying horseshoe booths that offer spectacular views. The restaurant also has an enormous private dining room equipped for small banquets and presentations.
    Would be fun to go up and sit at the bar, have a nice cocktail and take in the view.

10. Default Re: George

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Would be fun to go up and sit at the bar, have a nice cocktail and take in the view.
    Are you asking me out on a date?

Here is the layout:

Blog Entries

It's been a really long time since I was at Nicks at the top. Like, 12-ish years. I have no recollection of what the layout was like. For those that can remember, is it remarkably different?

Is it going to rotate?

14. Default Re: George

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Is it going to rotate?
    No

Blog Entries

that kinda sucks since we know the technical capability has existed in the past

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    that kinda sucks since we know the technical capability has existed in the past
    I think it was in this thread, or another, but I think they said the problem was that it's so old that parts and maintenance was a huge problem. 3-D printers should help out with things like this before too long, if they can get just one original part.

As shown above, the bar/lounge will face due south and make the most of the fantastic views towards downtown.

I have a feeling the bar is going to become a very popular spot.

This was from a Journal Record article last year:

The space has a narrow band on the outside that is capable of spinning. George has a different plan for the layout of the restaurant.

“The narrow band doesn’t lend itself to groups and more people,” he said. “To make it where everyone has a good view, the layout is a lot better when it’s not spinning.”

All of the seating areas are away from the windows to allow for a better view of the Oklahoma City skyline and Lake Hefner, rather than looking directly on top of surrounding buildings.

Blog Entries

since it's not incorporated, hopefully they have adequately disabled the spin so that there are no surprises for the guests.

20. Default Re: George

I'll admit I am a bit bummed it won't rotate. There are not many rotating restaurants in the world, so this is pretty unique. I can certainly understand the technical issues at play here. As long as the equipment/infrastructure is retained so that in the future the rotating function could be restored, I'm good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I'll admit I am a bit bummed it won't rotate. There are not many rotating restaurants in the world, so this is pretty unique. I can certainly understand the technical issues at play here. As long as the equipment/infrastructure is retained so that in the future the rotating function could be restored, I'm good with it.
    I think another reason was because they would have to use shorter tables for on the turntable.

I'm just glad that there was a huge investment made and it sounds like this operation will be excellent.

Yet another great space from the past that is not only getting new life, but it's all being done on a very high level.

Can't wait to go up there, have a drink and take in the views. I have great sentimental attachment to that building.

Uhmmmm, Pete....

I was just noticing that this thread shows it was "Created by SoonerDave" in 2006....

but, ah, I'm fairly certain I haven't even been on the site that long, and that notwithstanding I don't recall starting any threads about this restaurant?? You might wanna check that db reference to the article LOL

Or am I just having a seriously senior moment?

Uhmmmm, Pete....

I was just noticing that this thread shows it was "Created by SoonerDave" in 2006....

I don't recall starting any threads about this restaurant??

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Uhmmmm, Pete....

I don't recall starting any threads about this restaurant??

Ha! Let me explain how this works...

All these posts were moved from the Founders Tower thread. You had one of the first posts about this restaurant space, no doubt something about the old Chandelle.

So when you move old posts to a new thread, the oldest post is the first one listed. And because in the wiki forums the first post is also the article, I have to edit that first post to create the article. So, I merely over-wrote what you had previously posted, which is why your name shows up in the article.

This is the case in most the wiki articles, where other names are listed as creators.

Thread Information