Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: George

Default Re: Founders Tower

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I believe he used to be a partner at Interurban.
    Ah, thank you for that without treating me like I should have read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    He used to be a partner at Interurban, what do you think, read the article GOSH!?!?!?!?(said in a Napoleon Dynamite voice lol). I'm just kidding though haha, I know what you mean though haha, it does get frustrating when people do that ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    He used to be a partner at Interurban, what do you think, read the article GOSH!?!?!?!?(said in a Napoleon Dynamite voice lol). I'm just kidding though haha, I know what you mean though haha, it does get frustrating when people do that ;P
    He's still a silent partner with interurban, but wasn't asked to be involved with Packard so he went off to do his own upscale thing. From what I've heard about this guy, it should be interesting to see how this turns out. Hoping for the best...

I used to have an association with that building. The motors and mechanisms for the revolving floor required constant attention and were prone to failure, components were difficult to come by (and this was years ago), and the electricity costs were very high. With all of the demands placed on the owner of a restaurant, maintaining the "turntable" is too much for most.

That being said, how many restaurants in OKC even have this option? This is the only one I can think of, and the location offers a great view in almost all directions.

Tough call.

5. Default Re: Founders Tower

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    No problem..... Even if you had read the Gazette article. I don't think that piece of information was in it.

Did I see in the land sales in the Oklahoman last week that the restaurant group bought the top floor? They arent leasing it? I guess if things go south they could always sell it as a penthouse pad.

Yes, the restaurant group bought the top floor for $1.3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the restaurant group bought the top floor for $1.3 million.
    Thats what I thought the number was. Thats a pretty good investment from the start, and no telling how much it'll cost to finish out. Sounds like they'll need to sell a bunch of steaks from the start. Best of luck to them.

I remember eating at the Eagle's Nest back in '83 and it revolved then. It was so slow that there was no way that you'd get nauseated. It was a really cool feature.

Yep, it never rotated fast enough to cause motion sickness etc. (think it took about an hour to make a complete revolution). It didn't even move as fast as the moving sidewalks where if you don't compensate for the motion it can mess you up. I will have to say it was a bit disconcerting to visit the restroom and not find your table where you left it...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    I used to have an association with that building. The motors and mechanisms for the revolving floor required constant attention and were prone to failure, components were difficult to come by (and this was years ago), and the electricity costs were very high. With all of the demands placed on the owner of a restaurant, maintaining the "turntable" is too much for most.

That being said, how many restaurants in OKC even have this option? This is the only one I can think of, and the location offers a great view in almost all directions.

Tough call.
    If it was completely rebuilt with modern electronics and rollers it would be much better in an operational and maintenance sense and cost of operation but I am sure that it would be cost prohibitive to rebuild it completely.

From the Journal Record:

The space has a narrow band on the outside that is capable of spinning. George has a different plan for the layout of the restaurant.

“The narrow band doesn’t lend itself to groups and more people,” he said. “To make it where everyone has a good view, the layout is a lot better when it’s not spinning.”

All of the seating areas are away from the windows to allow for a better view of the Oklahoma City skyline and Lake Hefner, rather than looking directly on top of surrounding buildings.

The restaurant is expected to be open by mid-October.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I remember eating at the Eagle's Nest back in '83 and it revolved then. It was so slow that there was no way that you'd get nauseated. It was a really cool feature.
    It did 1 rotation in 45 minutes.

From the Journal Record:

The space has a narrow band on the outside that is capable of spinning. George has a different plan for the layout of the restaurant.

“The narrow band doesn’t lend itself to groups and more people,” he said. “To make it where everyone has a good view, the layout is a lot better when it’s not spinning.”

All of the seating areas are away from the windows to allow for a better view of the Oklahoma City skyline and Lake Hefner, rather than looking directly on top of surrounding buildings.

The restaurant is expected to be open by mid-October.

Shame.

I don't want to sit outside to spin.

The only reason I would go to a restaurant out there would be/was for the cool spinning and dining experience. Without it, no reason to go.

Spinning outside a few minutes while standing outside takes out all the "wow" factor and lure the restaurant had.

Who wants to stand on a narrow band outside for an hour to see a city view?

Sitting and dining while spinning an hour, getting to see the whole city, is the attraction. If I just want to stand outside and see the cityscape a few minutes, I'll go stand on a Devon Tower floor.

The "outside ring" that used to rotate is inside the building.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The "outside ring" that used to rotate is inside the building.
    LOL, isn't it fun what some people come up with?

17. Default Re: Founders Tower

Seat belts? I ate there a number of times, both when it was Eagle's nest and as Nikz, and never used or saw any such thing. Is this a joke I missed? It moved so slowly that there wasn't even a feeling of motion; you only would notice after a few minutes that your view was different. Also, as Larry says if you took an extended trip to the restroom you might have to search for your table, which was no longer where you left it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Seat belts? I ate there a number of times, both when it was Eagle's nest and as Nikz, and never used or saw any such thing. Is this a joke I missed? It moved so slowly that there wasn't even a feeling of motion; you only would notice after a few minutes that your view was different. Also, as Larry says if you took an extended trip to the restroom you might have to search for your table, which was no longer where you left it.
    That stems back to the article where the chef referred to revolving giving the tower the feel of an amusement park ride. It was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That stems back to the article where the chef referred to revolving giving the tower the feel of an amusement park ride. It was a joke.
    I agree. The term "intellectually dishonest" comes to mind. He's really been exaggerating to make up for the fact the restaurant won't be as we remember it.

The George -- the steakhouse atop of Founders -- is now hiring staff and looks to be a few weeks from opening.

The George -- the steakhouse atop of Founders -- is now hiring staff and looks to be a few weeks from opening.
    I had once thought about letting them take me for a spin after they open, but I suppose now I'll just have to settle for a (hopefully) decent stationary seat and meal.

22. Default Re: Founders Tower

Now I am hearing The George will open in March. Apparently there were some pretty extensive plumbing renovations that had to be completed which put them behind.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Any updates on the restaurant at the top? There was quite a bit of talk about it early in 2013 and then it just died.
    I think it's dead or at least completely stalled.

Was supposed to be open last fall; they had already created all their plans and done a bunch of work.

They have not updated their Facebook page since February.

25. Default Re: Founders Tower

I think it's dead or at least completely stalled.

Was supposed to be open last fall; they had already created all their plans and done a bunch of work.

They have not updated their Facebook page since February.

The update I was given from last week was that they were planning on being open at the end of this week. Certainly I would think by the end of the month! I hear the space is done and is really slick.

Thread Information