Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Karchmer Garage

Default Re: Karchmer Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This will be in the middle of a sea of surface parking, rail tracks on 2 sides will be connected to the underground via tunnel or skywalk.

I seriously doubt any pedestrians will be anywhere near this.
    I understand that’s what this end of Main is now, but it’s less than a block from lots of activity, investment, and development in the core. OKC is too quick to give up an area to cars and condemn it as a dead zone.

There is likely to be another rail line to the south; that's why this is set very far back from Main.

3. Default Re: Karchmer Garage

For anyone living in the Maywood Lofts, there goes the Bricktown view in favor of yet another ugly parking garage. Awesome.

Views aren't guaranteed and should be expected to change in a rapidly developing area with a ton of undeveloped or underdeveloped land. You really need to purchase in a highly established area to guarantee yourself a view.

5. Default Re: Karchmer Garage

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Views aren't guaranteed and should be expected to change in a rapidly developing area with a ton of undeveloped or underdeveloped land. You really need to purchase in a highly established area to guarantee yourself a view.
    I never said anything about expecting guaranteed views, not sure where you are getting that? I'm quite aware of how development works. That doesn't mean you can't still be disappointed with what ends up taking said views.

Somebody asked about the status of the ParcFirst garage on the land purchased by BancFirst and Continental as part of their deal to also buy the Santa Fe Garage.

Those companies now own that entire very large surface lot, not just the area where the garage has been proposed.

And now the land just to the south which Don Karchmer owns and where a warehouse structure was recently demolished will become a surface lot.

7. Default Re: Karchmer Garage

Oh thank god. I've always said if you're going to build a parking garage you NEED to build a parking lot. A one- for-one of you will.

Throwback to Urban Renewal I suppose

Somebody asked about the status of the ParcFirst garage on the land purchased by BancFirst and Continental as part of their deal to also buy the Santa Fe Garage.

Those companies now own that entire very large surface lot, not just the area where the garage has been proposed.
    I believe this is solely bancfirst on this surface lot.

Grader and front loader on site clearing this lot today.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Grader and front loader on site clearing this lot today.
    This is just for the surface lot shown a few posts above.

There doesn't seem to be any forward movement on the garage.

Back on track:

Plans for construction of a new Bricktown parking garage are once again moving forward in response to increased demand from workers returning to offices.

Don Karchmer was set to start construction on the garage at 21 E Main in 2020 in conjunction with BancFirst redeveloping the former Liberty Bank tower at 100 N Broadway.

The six-story garage will be built atop 148 existing surface parking spaces, resulting in a net increase of 651 spots once the garage is built. Karchmer said the garage will include public parking.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...t/70849033007/

That tunnel connecting to the Underground option feels expensive but then again the skybridge option seems hard to make happen too.

Here is the parking lot that was just finished next to this proposed garage site.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That tunnel connecting to the Underground option feels expensive but then again the skybridge option seems hard to make happen too.
    They need something. Today most of the people who utilize these surface lots cut thru the Santa Fe garage and then cross Gaylord mid block to go under the railroad bridge between main and Kerr
    Very dangerous. Between people leaving Santa Fe garage and then Gaylord traffic, someone is going to get run over there

Just to inquire, will it still be using the same rendering as before or is there an updated visual? I know it's tedious to ask at this point but a LOT has happened in three years since they announced it, like the rapid inflation and surging price of materials.

^

According to the rendering in the Oklahoman, the new design is slightly tweaked but looks substantially the same.

At the end of the day, it's still a 6-level parking garage in the middle of a surface lot.

This is what was in the article that was posted. Pete probably has more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-18 152308.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	18268

Here are images from the ParcFirst design application:

What happened with the issue of the passenger rail connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What happened with the issue of the passenger rail connector?
    That was with a much larger garage that was proposed about 10 years ago.

This new garage won't be in the rail right-of-way.

That was with a much larger garage that was proposed about 10 years ago.

This new garage won't be in the rail right-of-way.
    Good to know! Thanks.

Nice. Decent looking garage located exactly where a big garage should be located - and it won't even mess up the rail ROW so that can eventually come back in later.

I feel bad for Dr Truong and what this garage will be doing to the Clark Building. Which just started utilizing the event space. The back of the garage is basically replacing this view:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I feel bad for Dr Truong and what this garage will be doing to the Clark Building. Which just started utilizing the event space. The back of the garage is basically replacing this view:

I don’t think it will block that much of the view. But it is unrealistic to expect views from a low rise in an underdeveloped urban area to stay the same or be protected. Shouldn’t be a surprise.

Thread Information