Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stillwater Regional Airport Still Pursuing Commercial Air Service

Default Re: Stillwater Regional Airport Still Pursuing Commercial Air Service

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I also have ran through various city pairs and see some very illogical connections to the SWO flights.

I bet they haven't run an optimization, which does affect fares. Usually once a month airlines will run a connection and fare optimization program which will go through and find errors and connections that aren't being displayed. They added this trip in what is likely between that program run.

Give it some time.
    That makes sense. We're still 6 months out from the first flights. Fares will change a bunch between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That makes sense. We're still 6 months out from the first flights. Fares will change a bunch between now and then.
    I will add that if after a few weeks to a month they aren't adjusted, I will admit they are asking far more than what I would consider normal even for a small limited monopoly market.

Good news, I looked up prices again and for 08/23 (first day) RT it looks like fares are at $210.

Just two weeks away from flights to and from Stillwater and Dallas!

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Just two weeks away from flights to and from Stillwater and Dallas!
    It will help OSU sports in recruiting players from north Texas. Distance from Stillwater airport to Pickings stadium: 2 1/2 mi. Distance from OKC airport to Gaylord Stadium: 22 mi.

http://newsok.com/article/5513288

Curious how these fares play out. Only an hour or so from downtown OKC to SWO, and free parking. If the savings get up to $200/pp or so, my wife and I may be making the trek up there.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Curious how these fares play out. Only an hour or so from downtown OKC to SWO, and free parking. If the savings get up to $200/pp or so, my wife and I may be making the trek up there.
    I looked at a random date next February going to several destinations. The roundtrip fare to DFW was $191.70 from SWO and $278.20 from OKC. The fare to LAX was $395.70 from SWO and $328.20 from OKC on nonstop flights. The fare to LGA was $365.70 from SWO and $417.20 from OKC. The fare to DCA was $382.20 from SWO and $373.20 from OKC. The bottom line is that you would just have to research your needed dates closely to see if there was a significant savings leaving from SWO.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I looked at a random date next February going to several destinations. The roundtrip fare to DFW was $191.70 from SWO and $278.20 from OKC.
    This is great for a lot of students from the DFW area. I knew some that would drive down to OKC and fly home. Flying out of SWO for less and a big time savings is pretty awesome.

If I was in the north metro, Edmond/Guthrie area, I would defiantly consider flying out of SWO.

Pros:
    easy drive
    easy check-in
    FREE Parking (as of now)
    quick security checkpoints (Not that OKC is slow, longest I've had wait in line in OKC is probably about 8-10 minutes)
    quick loading & unloading of the ERJ-145

Cons
    Drive may be a little longer (and boring) compared to going down to OKC
    Only a couple of departure/arrival times, limits flexibility on trips.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    This is great for a lot of students from the DFW area. I knew some that would drive down to OKC and fly home. Flying out of SWO for less and a big time savings is pretty awesome.
    I've talked to one of our coaches who say this is going to be huge for recruiting. Stillwater won't feel "isolated", they have no trouble selling small college town, they were struggling with the isolation.

So does this bring us to 4 airports with commercial airline service?

Lawton
    Oklahoma City
    Stillwater
    Tulsa

Any others? Doesn't some small town in the panhandle have a commercial service on Great Lakes to Denver?

So does this bring us to 4 airports with commercial airline service?

Lawton
    Oklahoma City
    Stillwater
    Tulsa

Any others? Doesn't some small town in the panhandle have a commercial service on Great Lakes to Denver?
    Those will be the only four airports with scheduled commercial passenger service. Nothing that I know of in the panhandle. Guymon might have used to have something to Denver, but it hasn't been in the last 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher07 View Post
    Those will be the only four airports with scheduled commercial passenger service. Nothing that I know of in the panhandle. Guymon might have used to have something to Denver, but it hasn't been in the last 7 years.
    Great Lakes flies from Denver to Liberal, KS about 45 min from Guymon. Great Lakes flies to a number of small cities across the Plains, typically on EAS contracts as the single airline operating there.

Today is the big day for Stillwater!

Celebration from 12-2 p.m. at the Stillwater Regional Airport.

Learn more here: http://stillwater.org/city_of_stillw...al_airport.php

Is there any way to know how full the flight is?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I think I remember 20 passengers.

On Aug. 23, 2016, Stillwater Regional Airport's open house at the terminal for the first arriving and departing American Eagle flights drew a large crowd. Some pictures from that historical event.

Arriving passengers leaving plane.

Pistol Pete greets arriving passengers.

Plane taxiing to runway to depart

American Eagle leaves Stillwater Regional Airport for Dallas

Ticket counter and arrivals/departures area

More photos here: http://www.ocolly.com/gallery/collec...774528189.html

Although I m die hard Sooner, I am a proud Oklahoman first. Congratulations Stillwater and OSU. Happy to see Stillwater growing.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    You can check the seat map at aa.com for a rough guesstimate.

Good luck to SWO - hope they can sustain this service and keep OKC fares in check somewhat!

This morning on KOSU, Burns Hargis mentioned being on the flight from DFW to SWO and said he thought there were 48 people. Both pilots were OSU grads.

Loads look somewhat light overall the next few days. A few flights which look fuller than others, but at least 7 seats for sale on all of them. Having said that, AA will definitely need to be patient with this route. There are a large number of international students at OSU so I'm sure AA will easily fill up the planes eventually. Pretty impressive that it's now possible to fly (for example) BOM-DOH-DFW on QR and connect to SWO on AA.

I believe osu and Stillwater are kicking in some pretty big subsidies. AA probably doesn't need to sell a bunch of seats to turn a profit.

The biggest long term challenge for this will be when e145's are retired. Airlines are dumping 50 seat RJ's very rapidly in favor of larger equip

Thread Information