Widgets Magazine

Thread: How do I get bacon grease off our patio?

Default How do I get bacon grease off our patio?

So I like Bacon, so we eat a lot of bacon at my house. I recently discovered a better way to cook bacon. I have a cheap dollar store cookie sheet that I put the bacon on and then put it on the grill. It cooks it perfectly, and the house does not stink after cooking it.

The local crest had a good sale on bacon so I bought 5 pounds and cooked it up on the grill last Saturday. No, we didn't eat 5 pounds of bacon but I vacuum sealed a bunch of 4-piece portions of it and put it in the freezer for later use. You put it in the fridge overnight and next morning fire it up in the microwave for 30 seconds and bam, breakfast during the workweek.

So back to last Saturday, later that day we decided to get some steaks for dinner and put them on the grill, I was lazy so I put the cookie sheet which had a 1/4" of bacon grease in it on the shelf next to the grill and forgot about it. Well Saturday night the wind blew over and managed to splatter grease all over the concrete patio, so sunday morning I go out there and see about a 4 foot by 3 foot area covered with bacon grease stains. It was in the liquid form and in the sun so I mop it up with paper towels and head to petco and get some kitty litter as the first thing I googled said I should get some kitty litter. I scooped it up on Sunday night and put some fresh kitty litter down. Well I scooped it up tonight and still have giant bacon grease stains. I think most of the grease is gone but it still is in the pores of the concrete patio.

I'm just looking for suggestions, I have grass right near the area since this is a concrete patio surrounded with grass so I dont want to use a degreaser product/chemical that would kill the grass. This is real porous concrete so that is an issue as well as I'd like to get the stain out of there.

Default Re: How do I get bacon grease off our patio?

Cover the rest of the patio with bacon grease. That way it will all be the same color and no one will be able to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Cover the rest of the patio with bacon grease. That way it will all be the same color and no one will be able to tell.
    I like this option but my significant other will probably not go for it.

Dawn dishwashing liquid, hot water and a scrub brush.

Dawn breaks down grease/oil very well, just like the commercial says.

You can also buy de-greasing liquids at any hardware store but Dawn usually works just as well. If you need some extra scrubbing power, mix in some Comet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Dawn dishwashing liquid, hot water and a scrub brush.
    Dawn breaks down grease/oil very well, just like the commercial says.
    You can also buy de-greasing liquids at any hardware store but Dawn usually works just as well. If you need some extra scrubbing power, mix in some Comet.
    Yeah I'm thinking the next option is dishwashing liquid and a brush with hot water. My main concern was discoloring the 20 year old concrete but that should not happen with dawn I dont think. About 8 years ago when my dad who is a die-hard 1980s Mercedes Diesel fan came to visit and parked his car in the driveway, well his car was leaking oil at a pretty good rate and had left some oil stains in the driveway. I complained about it so he went straight to the laundry room and grabbed some tide bleach and fixed it, well the oil stains were gone but after it was said and done, I had some super white spots in the driveway. I guess this is why I'm concerned about what products to use.

Dawn is pretty gentle and easy and cheap. I'd start there.

If/when you remove the stains, you could seal the concrete. Pretty easy to do but I'd highly recommend a quality sealer rather than a cheapo one which won't last.

I acid stained and sealed my concrete back patio a couple of years ago and learned a lot in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    This is real porous concrete so that is an issue as well as I'd like to get the stain out of there.
    Diatomaceous earth works pretty good at sucking oil out of concrete. Google it. You can get relatively small quantities of it packaged for pest control or a 25 pound sack or box of it made for pool filters. The last I bought came from home depot. Looks like auto supply places might have it too. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0431&ppt=C1941

8. Default Re: How do I get bacon grease off our patio?

Pepsi (straight out of the can) and some scrubbing works well on oil, I'm assuming it will have a similar effect on grease.

We use Simple Green to clean our concrete table top in our kitchen.

Buy a power washer.

I would try any of the suggestions listed above, starting with the cheapest, and I also know that Gunk driveway cleaner works well too. The problem with concrete is that it is actually like a big sponge, and oil and grease never comes out. You just make it look like it did on the surface.

I got lucky at the new house we built when someone leaked oil on our driveway, but since the concrete was new, it still had a lot of "cream" on top, which kept the oil from penetrating the concrete itself, so the stain came right up without a lot of effort.

I'm not sure that someone who uses the words "stink" and "bacon" in the same sentence is serious, but muriatic acid will get rid of bacon grease. Be sure to wear gloves, eye protection and a respirator. And, next time, put down a disposable tarp or something.

Dump baking soda on it to try to draw some out. May need to end up power washing.

Baking soda..then, pour a can of Coke over that (I wouldn't waste a perfectly good Pepsi). Or try that lady on the web that has all the answers for everyday cleaning probs. Can't think of who it is at the moment.

14. Default Re: How do I get bacon grease off our patio?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I'm not sure that someone who uses the words "stink" and "bacon" in the same sentence is serious...
    Man, my thoughts exactly. I was thinking if I used this cooking method I would need to find a believable bacon-scented candle or something to make up for the lack of bacon smell in my house.

Thread Information