Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

Default Re: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

If they don’t want to spend the billions needed on track modifications to allow faster speeds, it would at least be nice if they come up with an interim plan to buy new trains and increase service frequency to 2x daily each way(preferably 3x but I don’t want to push it). These train in Quebec are new similar to Brightline trains in the Florida. I’ve yet to ride on one, but will be doing so soon. This would make the 4 hour journey much better.

Blog Entries

It would be super nice if you could head down to Ft Worth at 5 on Friday (instead of either losing a day of work or losing half of Saturday), or vice versa if you felt like coming back earlier on Sunday after a quick weekend trip down there.

It really would. Even just increasing it to 2x daily each way one in the morning and one afternoon would make a worlds difference.

I know increased frequency and an extension to Newton are ODOT's top two goals for the Heartland Flyer, but money to make it happen is a big issue right now. The state is already barely meeting it's financial obligation to Amtrak for the train we currently have, and it will likely require the state legislature to agree to increase funding in order to make that happen. I'm not saying I don't want it, but there are some significant financial hurdles to overcome first. I really hope something can be done.

Recent stuff on Heartland Flyer expansion out of Kansas:

https://www.ksn.com/news/local/city-...ing/1844371996

It looks like the Heartland Flyer extension could be a reality as soon as 2020:

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Am...507599721.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It looks like the Heartland Flyer extension could be a reality as soon as 2020:

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Am...507599721.html
    It's important to note this would only happen if Congress increased Amtrak's appropriation for FY2020 from current levels, and even then it'd only fast-track the expansion project - not necessarily guarantee service to begin in 2020.

What Amtrak has specifically outlined in their FY2020 budget request is an overall funding request of $1.8 billion to maintain the NEC and the National Network. However, for the last two years, Congress has actually appropriated $1.941 billion to Amtrak, and so in this budget request they listed other projects that could be funded were Congress to continue to appropriate funds above Amtrak's actual budget request. If they maintained the current funding level, the amount over their ask ($141 million) would be immediately earmarked for certain capitol improvement projects, mostly along the NEC. Were Congress to increase appropriations above the current level, Amtrak listed further projects they consider high priority that such funding could be used for. These items include new locomotives and the replacement of Amfleet I cars, as well as route restorations and new routes - including a Heartland Flyer extension to Newton, KS and an additional frequency. That said, Amtrak notes that their augmented funding project list is "illustrative" - intended to show priorities but not committing to those listed projects.

You can read Amtrak's full budget request for FY2020 here: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...nt-Request.pdf

Further reading about the Heartland Flyer component of Amtrak's FY2020 budget request: http://texasrailadvocates.org/2019/0...yer-expansion/

https://newsok.com/article/5626856/r...mtrak-proposal

I’ve heard that there is a bill that looks to create a new department in the Oklahoma state government for mass transit taking away that current responsibility from OkDOT.

I’ve heard that there is a bill that looks to create a new department in the Oklahoma state government for mass transit taking away that current responsibility from OkDOT.
    HB1365 creates the Office of Mobility and Public Transit within the Department of Transportation. The title and enacting clause are off which means it will have to pass the Senate and go to a conference committee where the final form is anyone's guess.

I can see that being a good or bad thing. I lean towards it sounds good on paper, but will be bad in practice, unless it includes a specific ongoing funding source for projects.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/samjmintz/status...10466798780416

The map is a little confusing because some existing lines are colored like new lines, but my interpretation of that is that Amtrak takes over Flyer operations from Oklahoma and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post

The map is a little confusing because some existing lines are colored like new lines, but my interpretation of that is that Amtrak takes over Flyer operations from Oklahoma and Texas.
    Do you mean funding? Because Amtrak operates the route but OK/TX provides the funds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Do you mean funding? Because Amtrak operates the route but OK/TX provides the funds.
    Amtrak runs all intercity trains, and they are not going to run OKC-TUL, on a 25mph dark railroad, that means no signal protection for non railroaders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    yes

I wonder if they are referring to expansions of service frequency, since there are very few new lines actually proposed on that map

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post

It almost looks like they got the colors on the Heartland flyer backwards, with the expansion is shown as an old route, and the existing service colored like it will be a new extention.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It almost looks like they got the colors on the Heartland flyer backwards, with the expansion is shown as an old route, and the existing service colored like it will be a new extention.
    my thoughts as well. Here is a link with a PDF presentation

https://www.railpassengers.org/happe...senger-market/

It looks to me like Fort Worth --> OKC is the "2025" line and then OKC --> Newton is the "2030" line

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

that might be when Amtrak starts funding the lines.

Obviously OKC already has service to FTW (funded by OK-TX) and wants service to Newton (expected to be funded by OK-KS). My interpretation is Amtrak will take over funding of OKC-FTW by 2025 and OKC-KC/Newton by 2030. We definitely already have Vancouver Canada - Seattle - Portland (slated 2035 in twitter) then on to LA already on two routes (Amtrak Cascades and Pacific Starlight).

If only the Trump Admin would implement such a plan (or better/sooner). ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

I wish in a longer term plan, they would reroute it from KC to Tulsa to OKC To DFW with a link in Denton so travelers can hop to the light rail into Dallas, airports and future high speed Texas rails.

No offense to Newton but who wants to go there?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I wish in a longer term plan, they would reroute it from KC to Tulsa to OKC To DFW with a link in Denton so travelers can hop to the light rail into Dallas, airports and future high speed Texas rails.

Agree 100%.

Plus unless there is some sort of major rescheduling, the train connection will be meeting in Newton will be around 3AM, in basically the worst possible window of any time for that. KC the train connections should be a much more reasonable 7:30 AM, and if you need to wait there should be much more could do.

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Passenger Rail Updates(non-HSR)

In fact, you could take this further, reroute the SW Chief awat from Newton and Trinidad, CO to KC, Tulsa, OKC, Amarillo to Albuquerque. Far higher access to ridership.

Blog Entries

Isn't Newton where it connects to the E/W going to Denver? Plus, Newton is just on the north side of Wichita. Lots of engineering and aerospace connectivity between OKC and Wichita.

Thread Information