Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's

Far North Cabela's

8/27/14 Update: $12.15 million building permit application for 80,030 square foot building at 1200 W. Memorial.

www.cabelas.com

As we've reported, Cabela's is very close to announcing it's first location in Oklahoma, most likely in the Chisholm Creek development at Memorial and Western -- same development as TopGolf.

It's official!!

It's True! Cabelas is coming to Chisholm Creek!

"Construction on the 80,000-square-foot store – Cabela’s first Oklahoma location – is scheduled to begin later this year and the company anticipates a fall 2015 opening. The store will be located in the newly planned Chisholm Creek development near the John Kilpatrick Turnpike at N. Western Avenue.

“Cabela’s couldn’t be more excited to announce our first Oklahoma location,” Millner said. “Customers across Oklahoma have been asking us to bring a Cabela’s store to the state for years and we look forward to bringing them the extraordinary Cabela’s experience.”

The store will employ approximately 180 full-time and part-time employees, with most coming from Oklahoma City and the surrounding area.

The building will be built in Cabela’s next-generation layout and feature a mountain replica, museum-quality wildlife displays, indoor archery range and archery teach room, deli, Gun Library, Fudge Shop and Bargain Cave. Additionally, it will offer a full-service boat shop and a comprehensive selection of Wildlife and Land Management products, including tractors, attachments and implements."

There is an item on next week's Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust (OCEDT) agenda for substantial incentives:

Cabela’s Wholesale Inc, (“Cabela’s”) has been seeking to locate a Next Generation store of approximately 90,000 - 98,000 sf in the metropolitan area for more than a year. In an effort to support Cabela’s decision to locate within the city limits of Oklahoma City, City staff and the Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City and Cabela’s have agreed to key business terms that will bring Cabela’s to Oklahoma City. The location has not been determined as Cabela’s is evaluating numerous locations within Oklahoma City.

Company Background
    Cabela’s, known as the “World’s Foremost Outfitter” of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear was founded in 1961 and has grown to become a leading specialty destination retail operation with strategically placed stores throughout the United States and Canada. Cabela’s brand has grown to become one of the most well-known outdoor recreation brands in the world, making it a true destination retailer that offers an enjoyable and unique shopping experience including an open and attractive store design and other amenities that enhance the customer experience. It is estimated a new Oklahoma City store will attract 1,250,000-1,350,000 visitors annually with a trade area of 120 minutes.

Project Background
    Cabela’s plans to invest approximately $10,000,000 or more for the construction and equipping of approximately 90,000 - 98,000 sf of commercial space. City staff believes a Cabela's will spur up to an additonal 500,000 sf of adjacent commercial and retail development in Oklahoma City. The new facility is anticipated to have approximately 100-120 employees and is expected to open by late 2015 or early 2016.

Economic Impact
    Based on industry research, City staff projects Cabela’s will generate an estimated $40 - $50 million in annual sales, subject to Oklahoma sales taxes which will result in additional tax revenues for Oklahoma City. Therefore, based on the foregoing, Cabela’s will annually generate approximately $800,000 - $1,000,000 in City General Fund sales tax, $400,000 - $500,000 in MAPS3 sales tax, $300,000 - $375,000 in Public Safety sales tax and $50,000 - $62,500 in Zoo sales tax.

Recommended Incentive Amount: $3,500,000 It is recommended that a performance based incentive amount not to exceed $3,500,000 be provided to Cabela’s over a ten year period based on 1.2% of sales subject to sales tax based on the following:
    • The current retail incentive policy promotes the development of new to market retailers and regional attractions
    • Cabela’s is a regional draw with a trade area based on serving customers up to 120 minutes away or greater.
    • Cabela’s will generate an estimated 1,250,000-1,350,000 visitors a year
    • Cabela’s will attract shoppers from outside of the region, preventing/reducing retail sales leakages to surrounding communities
    • City will receive related internet and catalog sales from local residents which will result in new sales taxes

Approval of the attached resolution authorizes the OCEDT General Manager or his designee to begin negotiations with Cabela's Wholesale Inc. for the development of an Economic Development Agreement for future consideration by OCEDT and the City Council.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabelas101714b.jpg 
Views:	3724 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	9314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabelas101714a.jpg 
Views:	3727 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	9315  

Default Re: Cabela's

Finally.

Awesome!

Score!!!

Blog Entries

Is the Chisolm Creek area within OKC city limits? Or is that technically Edmond?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    Is the Chisolm Creek area within OKC city limits? Or is that technically Edmond?
    Well within the OKC city limits.

Blog Entries

Aw, man, I was hoping this would go right next to Bass Pro. We need more product diversity in Bricktown. :-P

It's best not to believe the hype and rumors of Internet forums.

So Pete, what do you think the announcement at Chisolm Creek is going to be?

Very soon.

The incentives have to pass through OCEDT then City Council, then I think they will formally announce.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Aw, man, I was hoping this would go right next to Bass Pro. We need more product diversity in Bricktown. :-P
    Bass Pro would be much better off out by the Outlet Shoppes. Cabela's will do well at Chisolm Creek.

Are there people who will go to Cabelas who would not go to Bass Pro? Is this worth an incentive? I would never go to either so I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Bass Pro would be much better off out by the Outlet Shoppes. Cabela's will do well at Chisolm Creek.
    +1

From Steve

Cabela’s, an outdoor sporting goods company that competes with Bass Pro Shops, is seeking $3.5 million in tax rebates from Oklahoma City for a new store to be announced later this year.

The application is set to be introduced Tuesday at the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust, with full presentations by company officials set for the trust’s June 17 meeting and to the Oklahoma City Council on July 1.

Cabela’s officials did not return calls from The Oklahoman on Friday. Brent Bryant, the city’s economic development manager, said the chain has yet to select a site for its Oklahoma City store. Bryant’s report on the application forecasts the store will generate $40 million to $50 million in annual sales.

“It’s a performance-based incentive, based on 1.2 percent of their sales,” Bryant said. “And at the end of the day, they get incentivized on their performance. If they hit a home run, they get paid sooner. It expands our sales tax base and it reduces the potential of sales tax leakage to areas outside the city.”

Cabela’s has 50 stores in the United States and is in the midst of an expansion that includes opening 11 stores this year and each year through 2017. The Nebraska retailer has reported double-digit percentage increases in sales over the past several years.

Last August, the chain opened two locations on the same day in the Denver metro, drawing an estimated 5,000 shoppers to each of the 110,000-square-foot megastores. Those locations feature archery ranges and restaurants, though it is unknown whether such attractions would be included in an Oklahoma City store.

- read more here: Cabela's seeks $3.5 million tax rebates for Oklahoma City store | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It's best not to believe the hype and rumors of Internet forums.
    Well, to be fair, I do believe Steve said Cabela's was looking like a possibility when asked about it a few chats back. I vaguely remember it, so I could be wrong. Obviously, OKCtalk was the first to break the story.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Are there people who will go to Cabelas who would not go to Bass Pro? Is this worth an incentive? I would never go to either so I have no idea.
    Absolutely, it's like comparing Walmart to Target or REI to Academy. Bass Pro is the Walmart to sporting goods, cheaper brands, poor selection. Why our city "leaders" ever thought Bass Pro downtown was a good idea is beyond comprehension.

Absolutely! Cabelas is head and shoulders over Bass Pro. We drive to Wichita, KS or to Ft. Worth or Allen, TX just to go to the stores. Love, love, love the clothes they sell. Bass Pro just doesn't hold a candle to Cabelas IMO. As for the incentive, since they gave one to BP, they ought to do the same for Cabelas. It's a major plus for OKC. Also, you ought to venture to it when it opens. While it will be smaller than the one in Ft. Worth--more on the line of the one in Wichita, I suspect--what they have there is always interesting. Many people think the store caters only to hunters, but that is not the case; they have a full range of outdoor-related items, as well as clothing and household items. The one in Ft. Worth has an incredible aquarium and taxidermy dioramas, but I don't know to what extent this smaller location would have, perhaps not quite so much, but even scaled down, it would be worth at least one visit. The one in Wichita still has interesting displays.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Absolutely, it's like comparing Walmart to Target or REI to Academy. Bass Pro is the Walmart to sporting goods, cheaper brands, poor selection. Why our city "leaders" ever thought Bass Pro downtown was a good idea is beyond comprehension.
    Seriously? I never thought as Bass Pro the Walmart of sporting goods. Really Academy would take that place since every store I've been in is just bland has nothing special. Bass Pro actually has really cool amenities like the pond, huge fish tank, and shooting range(fake guns) that add to the experience. Not saying it's nicer than Cabela's, but I certainly wouldn't compare it to Walmart practices.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Wasn't that when they were trying to go the Branson direction for downtown development? Plus, Bass Pro is a huge hit with the average Oklahoman so I am sure they thought of it as a great way to get people downtown who wouldn't otherwise go. Personally I don't have as much of a problem with them being there as I do with the fact they allowed them to do their standard big box exurban format. Bass Pro is adaptable, they should have demanded a higher standard.

While I love shopping at Cabela's, I'm glad that we will have both. Gives one some options. Also I get some boots at Acadamy that are hard to find a Cabela's. I do like Cabela's for women's outdoor clothing. Would like Gander Mountain too. Loads of outdoor wear. I'm into paddle sports so more shopping choices the better.

It is about the same distance to Bass Pro at Stapleton and the Cabela's in Lone Tree, I choose to go to Cabela's every time. The only time that I go to Bass Pro is if I see something in the sales ad that I want. Gander Mountain is closer than either and I have pretty much quit going there since Cabela's opened. I wish we had Academy up here, there are some things they do better than any of the other places (including Sportsman's Warehouse, Dick's or Sports Authority) like stocking wide sizes in shoes. I pretty much have to go to a local big & tall store to find wide shoes and since I wear an 11W (on the bottom end of their sizes) and they don't stock many.

I don't think Oklahoma and Oklahoma City have the range of outdoor options for both. Oklahoma does not have the variety of outdoor options, (mountains, rivers, hiking, deep sea fishing, skiing etc to warrant this expenditure for a second store of this type/

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I don't think Oklahoma and Oklahoma City have the range of outdoor options for both. Oklahoma does not have the variety of outdoor options, (mountains, rivers, hiking, deep sea fishing, skiing etc to warrant this expenditure for a second store of this type/
    We do. There is much more to do in Oklahoma than most realize. There are so many hidden treasures in this state it's unreal, well pretty much like any other state. Most people never bother to venture off the highway and/or stay in their cities that so much is missed.

As reported, we are getting a Gander Mountain, Cabela's, and we have a Bass Pro. I think we're in good shape.

Academy is fine for team sports and some outdoors. Bass Pro and Cabela's for fishing/hunting outdoor clothing and camping. Cabela's is better for canoes/kayak stuff. Gander Mountain for clothing. Just my take. I would shop different store for different stuff. As far as stuff to do in Oklahoma, well team sports/golf, lots of places to float a boat/canoe/kayak. No swift water but hey, one can have fun on some flat water too. Also hunting/fishing. With the wild hog problems time for folks to take up another hunting sport. Ok its not for everyone. There is always the running shoes and places to go out and run.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Oklahoma does have plenty, just not in the immediate OKC area. The state has among the most diverse range of outdoor recreation options in the country.

Thread Information