Widgets Magazine

Thread: most pressing needs after a disaster... like a tornado

Default most pressing needs after a disaster... like a tornado

There are several churches and businesses that want to be more ready to help the next time we have a disaster like we did last year. If you were a tornado victim, or were close to one, would you let us know what you most pressing needs were in the first 48 hours?

Default Re: most pressing needs after a disaster... like a tornado

Prescriptions/eye glasses. I know some people who lost their homes so food, clothing and shelter is an obvious. I also know of some with hurt pets.

So... we have food, shelter, clothing, perscriptions and glasses. Is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    So... we have food, shelter, clothing, perscriptions and glasses. Is that it?
    I think what made this difficult for me to answer is the nature of the disaster is important. For most tornadoes, even if there is awful devastation in a given area, two blocks over, the infrastructure is intact and people have friends and neighbors to retreat to, often for the long haul even if they lose their home. On the other side of town, it doesn't even effect you. Hurricanes are a different story both because of massive evacuations and widespread, catastrophic damage, including conditions giving rise to disease. Massive Earthquakes are similar without the warming. Fires and flash floods tend to be very local - with damage even less widespread than a tornado. Talking EMP? People need everything although some will still keep shelter, temporarily, before having to leave in search of water and food. Millions would die in the first week and it would get worse. Short term emergency supplies wouldn't last long. Pandemic? Depends on the type and if people had to quarantine in place. Asteroid or massive volcano? No idea. Probably a bible or something.

The Red Cross is pretty good about helping out individuals in catastrophes, short term. They know what they need. But in a long term situation, the needs are different. Do people have an office to return to? Have the tools of their livelihood been lost or destroyed? Broad subject.

I responded with suggestions to get someone through about a week, with the assumption that family and friends would step in as they typically do with tornadoes.

I would add hand tools (such as hammers and saws), flashlights, batteries, generators, outdoor tools (rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows, ladders), extension cords, tarps, duct tape (you always need duct tape!), sunscreen, insect repellant, work gloves, and communication devices such as two way radios.

Thread Information