Widgets Magazine

Thread: New Start-Ups in OKC

Default New Start-Ups in OKC

Some friends and I were talking about start-ups in OKC. We have a lot of great, young entrepreneurs starting restaurants, clothing lines, and other small shops that have really helped OKC continue to grow into someplace unique.

But what are some services you think the OKC market needs that a new home-grown start-up could do? Uber seems to have been successful here, though it was started in San Francisco. What type of services/products like Uber do you think OKC in particular needs?

Default Re: New Start-Ups in OKC

Mobile car wash/detailing service powered by an app.

As someone who likes to keep his ride looking good, I was never impressed with the car washes in OKC (and please don't say red carpet...that place sucked!) And I frankly wasn't thrilled with detailing services either. I remember asking several unnamed car detailers around town if they offered claybar treatments and they all looked at me like I had two heads. Anyone who does this for a living and doesn't know what a clay bar treatment is should just give it up.

Mobile washes are quite popular in the DFW area and given the boom in luxury/upper end cars in OKC I would think this can work fairly well. I would be lying if I haven't thought about starting it myself.

OKC may be ready for an urban grocery delivery service.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post

As someone who likes to keep his ride looking good, I was never impressed with the car washes in OKC (and please don't say red carpet...that place sucked!) And I frankly wasn't thrilled with detailing services either. I remember asking several unnamed car detailers around town if they offered claybar treatments and they all looked at me like I had two heads. Anyone who does this for a living and doesn't know what a clay bar treatment is should just give it up.

Mobile washes are quite popular in the DFW area and given the boom in luxury/upper end cars in OKC I would think this can work fairly well. I would be lying if I haven't thought about starting it myself.
    don't tell people that maaaan! Do it!!!! That's a pretty cool idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Doesn't Uptown Grocery deliver? If they don't I'm sure they did at one time. You can also do Internet shopping and the groceries will be brought out to your cat and you don't even have to step foot outside. Very cool... When I worked there, I did it in a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Doesn't Uptown Grocery deliver? If they don't I'm sure they did at one time. You can also do Internet shopping and the groceries will be brought out to your cat and you don't even have to step foot outside. Very cool... When I worked there, I did it in a few times.
    I'm not sure if they ever delivered, but my daughter shops at the Edmond store occasionally and mentioned to me last weekend that you can order in advance and just drive by and have it put in your car.

Grocery delivery is common in England. My friend seldom drives to the supermarket. And the delivery prices are the same as the in-store prices. She does tip the driver though. I don't believe Uptown ever delivered, but they have offered the online ordering and drive by loading for quite a while. I think I'm going to have to start using the service, my health makes it difficult to go into the store and shop.
    C. T.

8. Default Re: New Start-Ups in OKC

Another import from San Francisco that's just launched here is Wonolo. It's essentially Uber for temp staffing. Currently Great Plains Coca-Cola is using it and as more local businesses get on board, it could really change how people who need flexible employment work here.

Here's a video explaining how it works:

I think we really need more technology start ups. I worked for a technology start-up that was sold to a medium corporation here that dealt with medical software. I believe some of the same minds are behind something new called "BankOnIT"... they are a cloud-based banking IT company.

I agree aDaniel... if you don't clay your car, ESPECIALLY, here in OK with all the wind/dust/pollen/sap/rain etc etc, you really have no business using polish or wax. Lol... I did work for a detail shop in college and I have a degree in business Entrepreneurship.... just sayin'.

10. Default Re: New Start-Ups in OKC

It's not necessary, nor prudent, to invest in a start-up in which you have no expertise. I've had numerous conversations with clients and customers over the years who told me "what Oklahoma City really needs is...". Those concepts seldom were successful. More often, what you're seeing in Oklahoma City and elsewhere is a subtile twist on a proven concept by experienced entrepreneurs/operators in that sector.

You may find ideas for new ventures that fit your personality and financial ability by subscribing to "Entrepreneur" magazine, or making "Entrepreneur.com" one of your "favorites."

The greatest number of "hits and "inquiries" on the two largest business/franchise-for-sale search web sites, "BizBuySell.com" and "Bizquest.com," are in the food-and-beverage, dry cleaning, coin laundromat and business/professional/personal service categories. Your chances for success are always far greater investing in a proven, ongoing business (preferably with two-to-three years track record) or a reputable franchise. Adding a new idea to a proven concept may fail, but chances for financial calamity are far less.

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    It's not necessary, nor prudent, to invest in a start-up in which you have no expertise. I've had numerous conversations with clients and customers over the years who told me "what Oklahoma City really needs is...". Those concepts seldom were successful. More often, what you're seeing in Oklahoma City and elsewhere is a subtile twist on a proven concept by experienced entrepreneurs/operators in that sector.

You may find ideas for new ventures that fit your personality and financial ability by subscribing to "Entrepreneur" magazine, or making "Entrepreneur.com" one of your "favorites."

The greatest number of "hits and "inquiries" on the two largest business/franchise-for-sale search web sites, "BizBuySell.com" and "Bizquest.com," are in the food-and-beverage, dry cleaning, coin laundromat and business/professional/personal service categories. Your chances for success are always far greater investing in a proven, ongoing business (preferably with two-to-three years track record) or a reputable franchise. Adding a new idea to a proven concept may fail, but chances for financial calamity are far less.
    For some, a lower return on investment is a good trade-off with the lower-risk by buying a business that has an established customer base, and already has the profit wheels turning.

Please don't tell me the guys in Deep Deuce were one of them, that's shocking if true

13. Default Re: New Start-Ups in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Park Harvey Apartments will deliver you Whole Foods groceries for 5 bucks. Started this month. I know it isn't a service for everyone but still neat.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Please don't tell me the guys in Deep Deuce were one of them, that's shocking if true
    Bricktown Auto Bath I'm assuming?

Larry Jenkins does a bang up job on car washes but I don't believe they offer any extensive detailing services.

Bricktown Auto Bath I'm assuming?

Larry Jenkins does a bang up job on car washes but I don't believe they offer any extensive detailing services.
    Huh, I'm shocked, I would think if you had a little place like that you'd be full service.

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    Good stuff. I'll say it again OKC is probably one of the most entreprenuer friendly cities in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Huh, I'm shocked, I would think if you had a little place like that you'd be full service.
    I'll give them a pass since its just a father/son + a few other employee operation. OTOH a place like Red Carpet should really know better.

Thread Information