Widgets Magazine

Thread: The American (statue)

Default Re: The American (statue)

Yeah, I highly doubt that thing will even come close to bringing in the traffic that the Statue of Liberty does. Not a big fan of it, but hopefully it works out and gets built on the quick rather than taking a decade.

Didn't realize that project was still alive.

Wonder where the funding is coming from?

5. Default Re: The American (statue)

Not gonna happen. If nothing else, all the chatter about it when it was first proposed showed how little support people have for it....and how ridiculous most people think the whole idea is.

I'm actually crossing my fingers this eyesore doesn't happen. I would support it if it wasn't so big and was of a tasteful size in an appropriate setting. As it is now, it's just about someone flopping their you know what out.

I just don't understand why they would put it in Sand Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I just don't understand why they would put it in Sand Springs.
    Because it's one of the few places that won't look the worse by having it.

8. Default Re: The American (statue)

Maybe a giant John Blake statue would be more appropriate in Sand Springs.

I've been very mixed on this project and wish that once and for all they would either commit, or trash it altogether instead of sending out bi-yearly teases.

This is something I think the state needs, honestly.
    We need our Arch, our Statue of Liberty, our Space Needle. We need something iconic, it's what people think about when they hear St. Louis, New York, and Seattle (not to compare Tulsa or OKC with those cities). They are tourist destinations, and symbols of local and state pride.

We need something to identify with. Either this, or even the giant 700 ft. oil derrick statue that was tossed around in OKC, which I know many people thought was tacky. But, imagine it, standing over the Oklahoma River gushing out water on time every day like oil. Where everyone at the river parks can see. I think that would be cool.

Same thing for this project. Although I think this latest location, deep in Sand Springs, couldn't be any worse, it still may be able to draw people to the Tulsa area, which means dollars for our local businesses, and tax revenue for the municipalities. I always thought this project would look great just North and or West (but not that far into Sand Springs) of downtown Tulsa where everyone can see from any part of the city. And the statue would almost be overlooking downtown. I think that'd be a great sight.

So, has anyone heard any recent news on this? A quick Google search only turns up the article posted as the most recent news.

Blog Entries

here's all the news on the project you need.

It's a con. It always has been a con. It's thankfully never going to happen because the statue is tacky bad art even if it wasn't a con. But it's a con so who cares.

Thread Information