Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WinCo coming to MWC

Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    Anyone make it in yet? Curious to see if it's a cookie cutter of the Moore location.
    All the stores here will be almost exactly the same.

2. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

Went on Saturday morning. It's definitely a weird feeling place. It's like Sams and Crest had a baby. Concrete walls and warehouse lights but with normal shelves. I should have waited a week though. Labor Day weekend + first of the month + store opening = absolute craziness.

The layout is effing weird. The long row of shelves (which feel narrow for some reason, although i dont think they are any different than Crest) just seem to be facing the wrong way to me. I guess it minimizes the number of turns you make, but then you get to the ends and the rows dont line up....freezers/etc. Just something you'd have to get used to i guess. I mean like said above, at least they are the same so if you learn one, you know them all. That's always been a bit frustrating with Crest since each store is different, sort of like a Wal Mart. Yeah same brand, but good like finding an item compared to the last store you were in.

Produce seemed better quality than Crest (doesn't take much to beat theirs though). MUCH larger bulk area, including tea (limited) and coffee. But the fill-your-own-spices thing was nifty. Not so much on just Garlic Salt/etc, but the rubs/mixes are neat that way.

Dont like the carts....single seat. I have twins and only having one seat when they were babies was a deal killer for me shopping there. They're like the carts at the small Crest on Reno, deeper and skinnier.

Bag your own groceries but they at least give you the bags (unlike Aldi). I'll have to figure out a new method on this. The groceries were piling up at the end before i even had my cart unloaded and i didn't have that big of a cart load. Then I have to run down and bag them, all the while the cashier is waiting on me. Seems a bit inefficient in terms of all the waiting and scrambling.

The staff was really great. Come to find out they brought in people from all over the country to open the store. So we'll have to reserve judgement on this for 6 months and give the local staff a chance to take over. Same thing on the prices. I saved a bit on this weekend's trip, but what about 6 months from now when it's not a grand opening.

So to me personally, it was just another grocery store. It's not the quick in and out like i use a Neighborhood Market for, but I'm not really seeing a push to leave Crest. The competition for all will be good to help keep downward pressure on prices as long as they dont bail in a few years.

Probably made my last trip to Winco today. Saw the ad this week and figured that 2 of the sale items were really good buys and I could always use some other things as well. Well I went today after work, the parking lot was relatively full. I go inside and start looking for the potatoes. I couldn't find them out so I looked for an employee to see where they were hidden. He said they sold out and I could try tomorrow at 7am.. GREAT I went looking for the other item, the toilet paper, also sold out. I just got the two thing in my cart and left. 45 minutes wasted. Stopped by Crest on the way home and they had both items - in stock- for the same price. Lesson learned.

What, exactly, was the lesson learned? That stores sometimes run out of stock?

The lesson I'd like to learn is where you found a WinCo ad. I thought they didn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by usmbubba View Post
    Probably made my last trip to Winco today. Saw the ad this week and figured that 2 of the sale items were really good buys and I could always use some other things as well. Well I went today after work, the parking lot was relatively full. I go inside and start looking for the potatoes. I couldn't find them out so I looked for an employee to see where they were hidden. He said they sold out and I could try tomorrow at 7am.. GREAT I went looking for the other item, the toilet paper, also sold out. I just got the two thing in my cart and left. 45 minutes wasted. Stopped by Crest on the way home and they had both items - in stock- for the same price. Lesson learned.
    So stores can't run out of items in your world?

No, but usually when you run an ad, you have enough items in stock. And BOTH items I needed were gone in my world. So if you like making a special trip for nothing, feel free to

7. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

I worked at KMart waaaay back in the day. They did this all the time. The problem was that corporate wasn't watching inventory at the store level and wouldn't release the ads to the departments so they could pre-order. It took 2 weeks to get stock from an order in our system, so it never really worked out. Sometimes the stuff was lost in the shipping department piles of pallets too.

Not say this is what's happening here, but just saying in a large corporation, the likelihood of a sale item being gone at one store is just high.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    The lesson I'd like to learn is where you found a WinCo ad. I thought they didn't do that.
    Winco has sent me several large ads via mail, though they often only advertise a few specials.

9. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Winco has sent me several large ads via mail, though they often only advertise a few specials.
    Yeah, I get them too in Moore... Saved $10 on a minimum $40 purchase over the weekend.... I cold smoke cheese for Christmas gifts and they had Borden Sharp Cheddar for $1.89 a lb so I ended up getting 21 of them for $1.41 a lb.. Hoping to get another coupon before Christmas and I'll go pick up 21 more!

Now that is just aggravating. I can understand not doing an ad in the paper, nobody reads it any more. And I can understand not mailing an ad to Mustang, the closest store is Moore. But not having them on the website is just crazy. I have a handful of stores I usually shop at, and I don't look at the paper ads for any of them. But I look online, and if I see something, I go. If I don't, I don't. I can think of no reason not to have the ad on the website, instead having a FAQ where they say they don't do ads when apparently they do.

Oh well.

I'd need to see what one of the ad flyers looks like. Do they have printed run dates in the flyer? The types of deals Winco tends to run lends me to think they almost do a sell it till we're out promotion. Leveraging one time buys from suppliers. Also they probably don't want to advertise their pricing to easily to competitors.

12. Default Re: WinCo coming to MWC

They are fairly large. 11x17 or 12x18 at least.

Last one I got had the $10 off purchase of $40 with some exclusions and some sale prices. The $10 coupon had a date on it but I didn't really look at the other items since none of them were anything I needed.

Tried Winco for the first time this weekend, thanks to that $10 off $40 coupon. Probably won't go back unless similar deals show themselves in the future. I can definitely understand the appeal for large families, folks that buy things in bulk, etc. Lots of good deals on packaged goods relative to Walmart and others. But man oh man it is a busy place, and the lines are/were crazy.

Thread Information