Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Winco is more expensive than Crest. It's as simple as that. They're really on-par with Wal-Mart. People go to Wal-Mart THINKING it's cheaper but then if you compare your receipts, it really isn't. But what you do get at Wal-Mart is one-stop shopping. So if someone wants to pick up a shirt/wine/food/can of paint/etc...well they can do all those things at Wal-Mart. And lazy people don't like to bag their own groceries either.

Personally, i go to Aldi/Crest/Sams for my rotation of items and avoid Wal-Mart whenever possible. I tried to like Winco, but i just couldn't. And the layout drives me bonkers.
    One stop shopping is the best that is why I missed my Meijer when I moved down here from Indiana. Meijer was the best. Crest over all is the cheapest but winco will have things on sale that are cheaper. That is another reason I don't like Wal-mart they never have anything on sale or wow deals like Crest or Winco will.

Blog Entries

I've enjoyed shopping at Meijer when visiting my daughter in Michigan

Meijer looks awesome. Have you ever been to Hy-Vee in Iowa? My personal favorite. I did Google WinCo and now I remember it vaguely from my time in Idaho. I don't remember it being anything special, so other than price, I don't understand the affection for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    One complaint that I have about Winco Foods and other grocery stores that use the automated shopping cart pushing robot is that it distorts the front caster wheel alignment of most, if not all, of the shopping carts. At the 39th & Portland store, almost every shopping cart has the right front caster wheel about a half an inch higher than the left front caster wheel which causes the cart to teeter-totter. I believe it is due to the weight of the train of carts along with the turning radius and angle of the ramp used to bring the shopping carts into the corral (just an educated guess, I'm not a professional engineer).
    Have to say, that is certainly one of the most specific complaints I have seen levied on this thread.

Meijer is excellent. WinCo and Crest don't quite have the "one stop" selection of Meijer and Wal-Mart, but they at least do alright in the toiletries department.

I wish I had other good options closer to me. I hate shopping at Walmart but I end up going there by default, as the three closest (non-ethnic-specialty) grocery options to me are either Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market. If I want to go to Crest, Sprouts, or Winco, each of those options are well out of my way. The inner-city southside desperately needs more grocery options that aren't Walmart. I personally think a Winco would make a killing if they built somewhere near SE 59th and Santa Fe, or along Shields just north of I-240.

I do think they would do well but is it up to their standard? Since they chose not to build near Memorial and Penn. I doubt they will be building anytime soon.

Yep I've repeatedly been told that Crest reacted to Winco way faster than Winco anticipated and also they greatly underestimated the stranglehold Crest / Walmart had on the market and the customer that they tend to try and attract. They couldn't beat Crest on prices after the initial opening budget ran out and had less services such as baggers available. And some of their perks they typically have in other markets, such as being employee owned or their meat selection were not really prized here in OKC where other stores match them pretty easily at better prices. Another factor has been distribution, their nearest distribution center is the Denton facility which is 3 hours away from OKC, whereas OKC has a major AWG distribution center just minutes away from most non walmart stores in the area, leading to daily stocking at large volume stores.

They are still doing fine, just they are only doing roughly half the volume they were anticipated to be doing in this market.

I live off 46th and Classen which is about a mile East of Pete and can concur that it's the best location for grocery (actually, literally the best location to live period in the entire Metro). Mine is slightly better located than Pete for Trader Joes and Whole Foods (but WF is too expensive) and puts the Homeland @ Classen/18th in an acceptable range. Unfortunately though I'm worse located against Sprouts, Aldi, and WinCo. This ends up with me at Wal-Mart for at least 40% of our groceries unfortunately.

We do try and do our big produce runs to Sprouts and then keep stocked on our Trader Joe's goods which are mostly frozen things and snacks, so it does make up a good amount.

Still, I did a Wal-Mart run in 8 minutes the other day. I could not believe it. Most people can't even get to a Wal-Mart parking lot in 8 minutes but from the time I stood up from my computer and then sat back down having grabbed a pastry and soda in between, 8 minutes.

So hard to get over convenience.

The 39th & Portland WinCo was surprisingly close when I lived around 30th & Walker, mostly because I-44 pretty much slingshots you directly into their parking lot lol

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The 39th & Portland WinCo was surprisingly close when I lived around 30th & Walker, mostly because I-44 pretty much slingshots you directly into their parking lot lol
    Did you take 36th to 235 or Western direct to I-44?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Did you take 36th to 235 or Western direct to I-44?
    30th -> Classen -> NW Expressway -> I-44 was my preferred route.

I'm today years old finding out there's another grocery store on 3601 N May called Eley's Has anyone been there? Nextdoor app someone commented on their excellent meat department. I need to go see what they're like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I'm today years old finding out there's another grocery store on 3601 N May called Eley's Has anyone been there? Nextdoor app someone commented on their excellent meat department. I need to go see what they're like.
    I went in there about 2 years ago - it definitely felt like I was going to the Super Thrift that used to be at 122nd and MacArthur back in the 90s

I'm just a few blocks away and it's an excellent go-to for just a few things. Their meat counter is pretty good. It's also never very crowded, but many things are priced a little higher.

Blog Entries

Have been many times as it's the closest grocery to my gf's house. It's great for quick trips for a few need-for-dinner-tonight items. Maybe not so much for big shopping. Probably the best thing is if you go enough and they start recognizing you, you can start asking if they'll order things for you, which has worked for us a couple times.

Loses points for lack of bike rack.

Used to go there all the time until the pandemic, then they didn't care about masking or social distancing (I talked to the mgr about it the last time we went there and he basically shrugged) and we haven't been in since (over a year).

Blog Entries

In my experience during the pandemic they were mostly masked, but distancing was not a thing, and they certainly didn't enforce masking with customers. However, with the mandate gone so is any sign of masking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Used to go there all the time until the pandemic, then they didn't care about masking or social distancing (I talked to the mgr about it the last time we went there and he basically shrugged) and we haven't been in since (over a year).
    Same thing with me. I just figured that it would be crowded and many no maskers, not worth the risk. Instead of cheap I am going with safe these days. Shopped ace hardware for items that could have been cheaper at Lowe's but did not want to deal with the people. This morning for most of my shopping time only one other shopper in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Same thing with me. I just figured that it would be crowded and many no maskers, not worth the risk. Instead of cheap I am going with safe these days. Shopped ace hardware for items that could have been cheaper at Lowe's but did not want to deal with the people. This morning for most of my shopping time only one other shopper in the store.
    I believe you are talking about Winco while TheTravellers was referencing Eley's on N. May.

I shopped at the WinCo at NW 39th St and Portland yesterday and noticed there was no egg nog at all. I figure it is either supply chain issues or the Grinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I shopped at the WinCo at NW 39th St and Portland yesterday and noticed there was no egg nog at all. I figure it is either supply chain issues or the Grinch.
    I tried my hand at homemade. It was fairly simple, but definitely not as thick as the store bought stuff. You should give it a go. Just cook it to get to 165-ish to help thicken it up. I figure that is where mine failed.

You might stop and check Sprouts or Natural Grocers. I buy the Kalonia eggnog. Its the best I have ever found. I bit pricey but so good with spices that you have to shake up and thick with cream. Yummy. Don't ask about the calories.

Braum's also carries egg nog.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Braum's also carries egg nog.
    And it's damn good.

Thread Information