Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

That's too bad. I was really happy for a WinCo out there, as we do most of our weekend shopping at various stores out that way (WalMart, Costco, Target).

My friends who are reps for some local companies that call on all the OKC grocery stores for resets and product placement have been telling me for some time Winco is very disappointed in their performance in this market. Walmart has more of a stranglehold than they anticipated and what Walmart doesn't have, Crest reacted quicker than Winco anticipated and brought in many of the things Winco is famous for while somehow maintaining their low prices while Winco had to increase base pricing in order to hope to turn a profit due to lower than anticipated sales. One location was anticipated to do just over a million a week in sales and has plateaued to half of that.

This is hearsay of course, but driving past the Moore and MWC locations every couple of weeks, I myself see no more cars in the parking lot than I do a Neighborhood Market or Uptown Grocery.

^

I shop at the 39th & Portland store and it's always busy.

Even in off-hours, I usually have to wait at the self checkout and the lines with checkers are always backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Even in off-hours, I usually have to wait at the self checkout and the lines with checkers are always backed up.
    That wouldn't surprise me. That's an insanely great location they were able to grab.

I'm not a fan of the layout of winco. It's like do I do each aisle length wise? Do I chop it up and do the first section than middle section then freezer section.

I will actually disagree on the NW 39th and Portland location and say that it's never as busy as I expect it to be when I shop there. Maybe I'm going at off-peak times, but I never have an issue getting in and out quickly.

It's easily the best grocery store in the area, so hopefully they're able to survive in this market.

^

NW Expressway to 10th from Hefner Parkway to MacArthur is pretty limited in terms of options. I believe there is Crest @ 23rd/Meridian, WinCo @ 39th/Portland and I think a Walmart Neighborhood Grocery @ 3xth and MacArthur (though that might be Rockwell that I'm thinking of). Winco has the easiest access and found a great location that was underserved (and certainly I'm sure people stop there on their way home well past MacArthur because it's right off the I-44>39th conversion.

Hard to break bad habits? I talk up Winco to my co-wokers, and they just shrug their shoulders and continue to shop at Walmart with the perception of lower prices, selection, etc. Additionally, much like Crest, Winco does little to zero advertising in an effort to keep prices low, which probably has not helped reinforcing the brand to potential new customers.

We live in NWOKC near Quail Springs and jump on Hefner Parkway to go to Winco. 10 minute drive and usually easier than going east through "stoplight hell" to Edmond Crest. Prices fluctuate on who is lower each week, but Winco usually has great deals on their meat, bakery, produce, and many of their store branded items. We avoid Walmart all together and will occasionally drop in to Target or Aldi for a few must need items. Winco or Crest though are the destination for a major grocery stock up.

Hope the stores in OKC can hold on and business picks up if the above statements are true about the stores not turning higher profits.

i live in sw okc and have received two mailers in the last 6 months from Winco for their Moore location. While i do most of my shopping in Moore/Norman, my grocery shopping is closer to home at Crest and Sprouts.

Blog Entries

WinCo's layout is different than most stores; once you get familiar with their layout--shouldn't have any problems.

Shop the 39th & Portland location and it's always crowded between 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.

When they opened in Midwest City they really didn't have an effect on traffic at Crest and Walmart. They were busy when they first opened but they leveled out. We tried out Winco and really wanted to like it but, they didn't have the brands we like and the prices were better at Crest. The only time we use Walmart is for otc meds and other odds and ends things that Crest or WInco don't have.

Do you think having to bag your own groceries hurt them? I would imagine it's not idea for senior citizens. I for one also don't care for it. I kind of feel a little rushed.

I go to the one on 39th pretty often and they are always busy.

Not sure about the one in Moore.

14. Default Re: WinCo

Not sure about the one in Moore.
    I'm not there very often but the times I am there it doesn't seem as busy as Crest where I do most of my grocery shopping.

I've never seen them have more than a couple of checkout lanes open at a time.

15. Default Re: WinCo

I live within 2 miles of the Winco at NW 39th & Portland and within a few blocks from Aldi and Sam's on May. All three stores are usually very busy. Before the Sam's was built and after Mayfair Market at NW 50th & May closed, I lived in a food desert (except for Eley's at NW 30th & May). My neighborhood is blessed that we have all four stores and all seem to be thriving. I don't shop as much at Eley's since the other 3 stores are closer, but other patrons still do. Eley's is still a nice and friendly neighborhood store.

Winco does have the best prices in town on store baked doughnuts, pastries, bagels, and rolls -- 38¢ for doughnuts, pastries, and bagels, 28¢ for store baked rolls. They're made without preservatives, so I was advised by a cashier to keep them in the fridge if I wasn't eating them within a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    I live within 2 miles of the Winco at NW 39th & Portland and within a few blocks from Aldi and Sam's on May. All three stores are usually very busy. Before the Sam's was built and after Mayfair Market at NW 50th & May closed, I lived in a food desert (except for Eley's at NW 30th & May). My neighborhood is blessed that we have all four stores and all seem to be thriving. I don't shop as much at Eley's since the other 3 stores are closer, but other patrons still do. Eley's is still a nice and friendly neighborhood store.
    We must live close.

Besides Sam's, Winco and Aldi, there is also Sprouts at 63rd & May, Target on May and both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's nearby.

I now have much better grocery options in close proximity than anywhere I lived in Calfornia, and that's saying something.

17. Default Re: WinCo

thats better choices in close proximity than we have here also.. Look how far OKC has come.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

We must live close.

Besides Sam's, Winco and Aldi, there is also Sprouts at 63rd & May, Target on May and both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's nearby.

I now have much better grocery options in close proximity than anywhere I lived in Calfornia, and that's saying something.
    Do you think any of them will close in the long run as a result of the competition?

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Do you think any of them will close in the long run as a result of the competition?
    No, they all seem to do very well.

That Winco is probably the busiest of the 3 in OKC. The others are always slammed.

I like the Winco on 39th, I do shop there occasionally.

I find the bulk section to be fascinating and have got a few things from it.

21. Default Re: WinCo

Shopped at WinCo tonight, haven't been out that direction for awhile. I like that store, but have never been there with more than 2 cash lanes open. As bad as Walmart. On top of that, for social distancing, they could only use one side of the belt. Just frustrating to have all those lanes, people waiting with full carts and 2 lanes open. An employee owned company, where are they??

Is the north location dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is the north location dead?
    They still own the land but have not made any movement towards building the new store.

They still own the land but have not made any movement towards building the new store.
    I guess them owning the land is a good sign, right?

Yes.

They already completed all the groundwork which was extensive due to a creek.

There have been no efforts to sell so I'm still hoping they'll build the store in the future.

Thread Information