Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

Dang!!!.. I hate when places don't take Credit.. my debit card works like a credit card as well.

It's coming soon.

I sent Pete the article and he usually posts it pretty quickly.

New low-cost grocery could shake up market
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record December 30, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – It’s been more than a year since WinCo Foods purchased the property at 3535 NW 39th Street Service Road, and the site now has a much different look.

By early November, the former Casa Bonita restaurant in the Portland Plaza Shopping Center and other buildings were demolished to make way for the grocery store. In total, 27,000 square feet of buildings were removed. JAH Realty Leasing Director Ethan Slavin said the remaining structure’s eastern side will be remodeled. WinCo also purchased the empty former Holiday Inn hotel site. In total, the company bought 9.2 acres for $3 million.

Slavin said JAH typically likes to keep its own land and develop for others, but it was too hard to turn away a grocery store.

“A grocery store is the best anchor tenant because it’s the everyday consumer,” he said. “We agreed to sell because we know it would benefit the center long term.”

WinCo plans to bring four stores to the market, with locations announced in Moore and Midwest City. A fourth location is being discussed south of W. Memorial Road on N. Pennsylvania Avenue. The deal has not been finalized.

The store will have an effect on Portland Plaza as well as the Oklahoma City grocery market.

“I think WinCo coming in will add value (to the center), whether it’s increased rents or different tenants,” Slavin said. “We have leases in place with existing tenants.”

Price Edwards & Co. Retail Director of Major Tenant Leasing for Retail Properties Karleen Krywucki said the store will shake up the metro’s grocery market.

“I think it will bring a new option to shoppers,” she said. “It’s a low price point, but it’s even lower than Wal-Mart. That’s who they’re really targeting on price.”

WinCo boasts larger stores than Wal-Mart’s Neighborhood Markets, which are about 40,000 square feet. A WinCo measures 75,000 to 80,000 square feet. It carries bulk items, as well as items purchased directly from farms or factories.

It is able to cut prices by having people bag their own groceries and not accepting credit cards, according to analysts. The company offers health benefits to all its employees who work at least 24 hours a week.

“I think people like Homeland in particular will be hit hard, until at least the whole opening settles out,” she said.

She said locally owned Crest will take a hit as well once WinCo opens. Buy For Less has its own niche customers, but the Portland and Northwest Expressway store could be hurt initially.

As to when WinCo will open or its other plans, the company is known for its secrecy. Company spokesperson Mike Read could not be reached for comment. But the privately held company is notorious for not giving many details about its operations.

According to the Dallas Morning News, dated Dec 8, 2015, Winco will develop and build a new regional distribution center. It is scheduled to be completed by December 2016. They have opened 6 stores in the DFW area. The closest distribution currently is in Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    According to the Dallas Morning News, dated Dec 8, 2015, Winco will develop and build a new regional distribution center. It is scheduled to be completed by December 2016. They have opened 6 stores in the DFW area. The closest distribution currently is in Phoenix.
    The distribution center has actually broken ground and will be in Denton and will clearly be used for the OKC stores as well as those in the DFW area.

Now, they are using 3rd party distributors for their North Texas stores but their model is to have their own distribution centers to provide the best prices and products.

Winco will absolutely kill it in OKC. I suspect they didn't want to open here until this center was complete which will be late 2016.

Blog Entries

No credit cards, eh. Guess I will never go there ever since I rarely have cash.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    No credit cards, eh. Guess I will never go there ever since I rarely have cash.
    They accept debit cards.

Their pay policy is the same as Costco's and I never found it to be a problem.

I use my debit card for groceries anyway.

Blog Entries

Ah, debit is fine. I thought they meant cash only.

I've been singing the praises of Winco here in the Portland Or. area for years. It should do just fine in OKC.
    It's bittersweet for me as in a few months my wife and I are moving out to our property in the high desert of Eastern Oregon. The nearest Winco will be 2 hours away in Boise, Idaho! Awwwwwww!

Quote Originally Posted by jmpokc1957 View Post
    I've been singing the praises of Winco here in the Portland Or. area for years. It should do just fine in OKC.
    It's bittersweet for me as in a few months my wife and I are moving out to our property in the high desert of Eastern Oregon. The nearest Winco will be 2 hours away in Boise, Idaho! Awwwwwww!
    The Tigard WinCo on 99E got a great deal of my money.

14. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    The Tigard WinCo on 99E got a great deal of my money.
    The one in Edmonds WA gets mine...

I wonder just curious if they planning to new building in #3 at Midwest City and #4 at Moore for this year 2016?

Before moving to Oklahoma I shopped at Winco almost exclusively when I lived in Idaho. They do not carry all the brands but the fruit and meat prices were impossible to beat, they were easily 20%-30% cheaper than Albertsons who was the other dominate store in the state. Other stuff was probably 10% cheaper as well. Buying in bulk can save you 50%. Winco does not carry all the brands so if you have a specific brand you like you still will need to make a second trip to another grocery store.

I visited the Winco in Lewisville, Texas last weekend, pretty much filled up the cart for just under $90, pretty much all dry goods for our pantry and two $2.88 24 packs of bottled water along with some fruits. They had whole tenderloins on sale for $7.88/lb. Next time I head to Dallas I'm bringing a cooler and bringing some steaks back. Most of what I bought was from the bulk food section and probably would have spent $160 if I was to buy the packaged options at Crest or Homeland here.

Winco will be a game changer here, no doubt, they will be extremely successful just like the Lewisville store was as the parking lot was packed at 7PM on a Sunday night.

Does WinCo's quality make it a "race to the bottom", though? (I ask as someone who has never been to one of their stores)

I have no problem paying less, but I just hope we aren't in a situation where, yes we're paying a lot less for groceries, but at the same time it makes stores afraid to sell anything that isn't bottom of the barrel.

I feel like we're lacking in GOOD QUALITY grocery stores here. Everything is cheap, cheap, cheap.

^^^

Its not hard to sell cheap and fresh produce. Sprouts does just fine in that regard. I wish homeland and crest understood that.

I think Winco will surprise people.

My understanding is that there current plan is to start construction on all 4 locations this summer, with all opening summer 2017.

BTW, for all the other options now available in OKC's grocery market, WinCo will be the one that will be a straight crotch-punch to the Walmart dominance.

They have as good or better pricing, much cleaner and better stores, more selection, much, much better customer service... And I think there are lots of people who would happily go anywhere but Walmart as long as they don't have to pay more to do it.

Build. One. In. Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, for all the other options now available in OKC's grocery market, WinCo will be the one that will be a straight crotch-punch to the Walmart dominance.

They have as good or better pricing, much cleaner and better stores, more selection, much, much better customer service... And I think there are lots of people who would happily go anywhere but Walmart as long as they don't have to pay more to do it.
    You think it'll be enough to overcome the inertia of "We've always gone to Wal-Mart, why should we get off our route that we could drive blindfolded and figure out a new store?" I seriously hope so, but inertia is powerful.

^

Walmart will still have tons of customers it's just that those who are looking for something different / better will have an excellent option without having to pay more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

This.

In OKC, a lot of people shop at Wal-Mart simply because they've not had better options. Five years ago, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets were the best, nicest grocery stores in OKC. I don't think price is the only factor either, given how in the past there were so few other options altogether. I think WinCo will be the biggest threat to their dominance yet because they will give people an alternative that is also competitive on price.

Pete, how many Winco's do you suspect will ultimately be open in OKC? They are starting out with four. Do they have an aggressive reach with a decent number of locations or do you think they will keep it at four stores for awhile?

Thread Information