Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

what was previously at the 39th & portland site? looking at google maps, there was obviously some sort of structure at this location. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    what was previously at the 39th & portland site? looking at google maps, there was obviously some sort of structure at this location. -M
    An old motel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    An old motel.
    thanks! i don't know that part of town too well. -M

I seem to remember a certain Mexican restaurant there. The one that had the little flag on the table that could be raised or lowered to signal something. Anyone remember for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by rtz View Post
    I seem to remember a certain Mexican restaurant there. The one that had the little flag on the table that could be raised or lowered to signal something. Anyone remember for sure?
    That was Casa Bonita.

It was in Portland Plaza, which is the center just west of the proposed WinCo.

Comparing the proposed 39th & Portland site review with the current Google Maps and Bing Maps, it looks like Portland Plaza is going to raze a portion of the strip mall's east end. I remember eating at Taste of China buffet located there year's ago. I am curious if the current Wing Stop will be forced to move since the current location is not in the plans of the proposed site review.

It was a Holiday Inn that had fallen to disrepair and was torn down. There used to be a grocery store in the same shopping center. The area in recent years has fallen on hard times. (shopping center)

checked out the Winco in McKinney TX last week. . .looks VERY encouraging! Some "loss leaders" and some things a little higher, but should be a great fit, esp the NW 39th/Portland location. Very impressed with the bulk foods. . . much larger selection than anything in OKC/Edmond.

Do we know how much longer it will take to seal the deal up around Penn/Memorial so they can make the official announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by roci28 View Post
    Do we know how much longer it will take to seal the deal up around Penn/Memorial so they can make the official announcement?
    Was just talking to a broker about this yesterday...

There is a lot of site work happening at that location and I believe they are waiting to close until it is largely complete. There is a creek running through that property that they are re-working.

I'm very sure the deal is done for them to purchase the land, it just hasn't closed yet. Once it has, I believe they will start to move forward with their plans and build all four are locations in quick succession. They already own the three other properties.

Just looking at the proposed site plans; It's interesting that the location on 39th and Portland will not face 39th, but rather face the West.

Drove by the 39th location late last night and saw a bunch of construction equipment sitting there. So there might be some hope they start soon. But I will say it did look more like paving equipment than bulldozers and such so it could be just for a road project somewhere close.

Went into a WinCo in Portland yesterday. This will do excellent in OKC. Very cheap prices and very good selection.

I'm a fan. I went in for just a couple items, but later today I plan on going to fully stock up on goods.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Drove by the 39th location late last night and saw a bunch of construction equipment sitting there. So there might be some hope they start soon. But I will say it did look more like paving equipment than bulldozers and such so it could be just for a road project somewhere close.
    I thought the same thing until I realized they are repaving 39th just east of Portland.

Yes, no building permits have been issued for the 39th / Portland Winco or any of the others -- yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Comparing the proposed 39th & Portland site review with the current Google Maps and Bing Maps, it looks like Portland Plaza is going to raze a portion of the strip mall's east end. I remember eating at Taste of China buffet located there year's ago. I am curious if the current Wing Stop will be forced to move since the current location is not in the plans of the proposed site review.
    Drove by and noticed that Wing Stop has relocated to the corner furthest away from the proposed WinCo.

terryinokc Guest

Just trying to figure out exactly where the 39th & Portland and the Memorial and Penn locations will be.
    Are they taking up part of the shopping center on 39th where Casa Bonita was and then expanding eastward across the street (with the street being closed) where the old hotel was?
    When Wing Stop moved that made me wonder if Winco was taking in part of the shopping center also.

Where is the exact location at Memorial and Penn? Near what intersection or near what existing business?

Here is a rendering for 39th & Portland:

Quote Originally Posted by terryinokc View Post
    Where is the exact location at Memorial and Penn? Near what intersection or near what existing business?
    Will be south of Memorial on the west side of Penn, behind the Whataburger that is under construction.

terryinokc Guest

Will be south of Memorial on the west side of Penn, behind the Whataburger that is under construction.
    Thanks Pete.

Whataburger is now open. I've been there like 5 times... The root beer shake is addicting.

22. Default Re: WinCo

Anyone know what's holding these things up? The MWC location hasn't made any progress since the building sold. I'm sure the other sites are the same way. It seems like they could start to work on a few of these and have at least a couple open at the same time rather than waiting for all of them????

The city of moore development posted yesterday that Winco has finalized the purchase of the land on 19th so hopefully things start moving soon

So there are now construction vehicles demolishing part of the strip mall where the parking lot will be for the Winco on 39th and Portland. I live right around the corner from that location and saw the demolition on the way home from work yesterday. Hope that is a sign of progress on the new construction.

terryinokc Guest

Checked out the Winco in McKinney TX this last weekend. I had been to one in Portland OR several years ago.

First impression....it was like going back to the 80's here in OKC....the interior was similar to the Food 4 Less stores we used to have here at 122 and Penn and in Del City.
    Long wall of specially priced items that you walk thru to get to the produce department. The produce looked good--I didn't check out the meat department.

Warehouse type shelving and displays. Concrete floor. Checkstands that are divided so that two people can bag/check out at once. If I had not realized I was in Winco, I could have sworn I was in Food 4 Less. With the exception of the bulk department.....

Prices on their private label Winco items appeared to be good..staple items I saw like canned green beans, macaroni and cheese, flour, sugar, etc. I went to a Super 1 (Brookshires) and Kroger that same morning..and the same items in their store brands were considerably more expensive.

Glad they're coming here...we need more options. Don't like the fact that they only take cash or debit cards....I got to the self-checkout and had to dig around for some cash--my debit card works like a credit card. I think the one at 39th and Portland should do really well....there's not a lot of grocery store options around that area.
    Remember going to Hagee's in that shopping center when I was a kid....anyone remember that? You used to have to go thru a stop at the end of the produce department where a clerk would take your produce (that had to be in brown paper bags) and weigh the items there...and write the price in wax pencil on the bag so that the checkers up front didn't have to weigh anything........

Thread Information