Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

Wow, that detail about them going head-to-head with Walmart isn't a joke.

Yeah.. It seems they are preparing for all out war with Walmart

3. Default Re: WinCo

Ugh 19th street!!!! I love that there's so much going on, but damn Moore didn't do anything right with traffic/street planning between 35 and west of Telephone....LORD!!!!!

I'd like to know how they plan on connecting WinCo if that's the lot too. I hope they just convert the back "street" thing behind Five Guys into a real connector road and force traffic to Fritts Rd. At least there's a light there. And the more distance you put between ANYTHING and Telephone Rd, the better.

And weird side note - if you look at the google maps of the area, apparently they were taken in summer 2013....lots of storm damage in the area on those images.

Hey Pete, I know you like keeping your maps straight. That's a LA Fitness that WinCo will be going beside, not Fitness One.

Quote Originally Posted by FourStarFitness View Post
    Hey Pete, I know you like keeping your maps straight. That's a LA Fitness that WinCo will be going beside, not Fitness One.
    Thanks! I made the correction

6. Default Re: WinCo

Going right at the new Sam's and existing Supercenter there..... I'm glad we're getting one in Moore..... Going to be kind of ashamed to pull up to buy groceries when I haven't used my gym membership since last year..... Not that I haven't been getting some exercise. Just been enjoying the weather and doing it at the park.

I wondered if something would go in next to LA Fitness, but honestly this is disappointing. The backside of that strip center sucks. The lot there has skinny drives to the back lots and several times I've seen cars playing chicken when going opposite ways. It's a huge cluster you know what IMO, and unless there is some major improvement, is only going to get way worse. I've actually started going down 19th street less when I'm in the area because it is just a hot mess.

I will be very interested to see how much marketshare they steal from Wal-Mart. If they really do have better prices and better customer service, I don't understand why anybody would stick with Wal-Mart.

39th and I44 will be great for us. Any idea on a opening date?

10. Default Re: WinCo

If it goes in behind Aldi, which is sort of a crapp location since you can't see it basically at all, I hope they convert the alley behind Five Guys/Aldi/etc into a real path like Zuplar said. Here's some cheap 5 minute MS Paint work on what it could look like. Green paths for the routes to take to get to the place, and red marking areas where I would purposely NOT connect the road so traffic is forced to the light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinCo.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	8145

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    If it goes in behind Aldi, which is sort of a crapp location since you can't see it basically at all, I hope they convert the alley behind Five Guys/Aldi/etc into a real path like Zuplar said. Here's some cheap 5 minute MS Paint work on what it could look like. Green paths for the routes to take to get to the place, and red marking areas where I would purposely NOT connect the road so traffic is forced to the light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinCo.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	8145
    Glad someone is on the same page. If done right they could really improve the traffic flow which is honestly the only issue with this area. The selection and diversity of stores is pretty fantastic compared to what it used to be, and just gets better. I just think Moore has got to be proactive with traffic here. Of course if they ever get a bridge built further South (on SW34th?) then that should help.

12. Default Re: WinCo

I have no idea how they would do it based on how they built, but it would be nice to see a cross street about where Kohl's is to pull some of the cross traffic off, like Zuplar was saying.

I'd pull out the light at Walmart onto 19th and close that entrance/exit for Walmart and force the traffic coming from the other way, to a different access back to Telephone Road. Tossing that light right there, at least IMO, would do wonders.

Maybe I just have a high tolerance, but I never seem to have any problems on 19th St. Yeah, its a busy area, but I'm never stuck in gridlock or something. I actually just recently moved to a house off of 19th St. and was worried how much time it would add to my commute to get to the highway, but it really didn't add as much as discussions like this led me to believe.

Isn't the larger lot to the West of L.A. Fitness where Costco was rumored to be trying to go into?

Quote Originally Posted by jmpokc1957 View Post
    Winco has been a part of the North West for years and I do all my grocery shopping there.

They have the best prices in the Portland area and the quality is good. You have to bag your own groceries( unlike my days working at Kennards Discount Foods, 50th and MacArthur in the 70's! ) and they have just now gotten self-serve check out stands. That has helped the wait to check out, especially if you have just a few items.

The only area they seem to be lacking in is their bakery is not as nice or extensive as, say, Safeway. No pharmacy either, which is not an issue for me.
    I used to shop at the Tigard WinCo all the time; best place to buy groceries! It was cheap and they had a great selection. Hopefully they're successful in OKC.

When is construction suppose to start on these four Winco's?

They haven't even announced they are coming yet.

I believe they are trying to get everything nailed down on all four locations first.

Pete, I received this email after I asked them about an OKC store

Campbell,

Thank you so much for this wonderful location suggestion, Oklahoma City is a beautiful area. While we haven’t looked that far yet, we will gladly forward this to our team for consideration. We hope to some day have the honor of opening one of our employee-owned stores closer to you. Thank you for your amazing support.

Cathy D.
    Email support
    Twitter alerts on jobs www.twitter.com/WinCoJobs
    Careers, Jobs and Online Applications | WinCo Foods Set up an "Agent" for email alerts on job postings
    Just wanted to pass that along.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, I received this email after I asked them about an OKC store

Just wanted to pass that along.
    That is probably their canned response. I doubt they would announce something through email to a regular joe that hasn't been officially announced yet.

Deals are done and they will be announcing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Deals are done and they will be announcing soon.
    Awesome!!!!!

They've had the four deals pretty much nailed down for a while, just taking their time.

In the NewsOK article Jim Parrack is quoted as saying "They will give Walmart a run for their money on prices." The reality is that Wal-Mart is large enough to survive the competition. The real concern is Crest Foods. I imagine that WinCo will put a real hurtin' on the Harroz family.

25. Default Re: WinCo

Doubt it. Now, I haven't been in a Winco yet, but from everything I've heard about them, part of the reason they can afford the prices they do, is because of the amount of bulk items and the trimmed staffing for things like sackers. Again, I haven't been there yet, but it SOUNDS like a mix between an Aldi and a Sams Jr. with a little Crest thrown in there. They'll beat Aldi if they are open 24 hours. But the sacker thing will keep people from leaving Crest. The amount of food that goes through a Crest cashier is insane compared to WalMart....Crest is just faster. Even with overflowing baskets, you can be 2 carts behind the cashier at Crest and still get through the line in less than 10 minutes. Can't say the same at WalMart. But if you start making people sack their own stuff, that line is going to be a LOT slower. Crest is the "pile it a mile high in the cart" trip.

Maybe i'll have a different opinion after it's opened, but it just doesn't sound like something to me that will kill Crest. If I were Homeland, I'd be worried. I don't think I remember seeing a WinCo location near a Homeland though.

Thread Information