Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    And it's damn good.
    Yep, almost can't beat it, only thing we buy from them.

2. Default Re: WinCo

Urban Agrarian had some when i stopped to get cream for homemade butter yesterday.

The one on 39th street got rid of the Italian beef in their deli. Ugh. Only reason I really went to Winco. Who else has shaved Italian Beef in the deli section. Does uptown grocery carry it?

Default Re: Kroger

As of August 1st Winco will no longer take credit cards. Due to inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    that is comedy ..

So Winco only recently started accepting credit cards within the last couple of years - they're just going back to the way they used to operate pre-pandemic. They don't like the high transaction fees that Visa/MC are charging for credit cards. However, just like before, they'll continue to accept debit cards, EBT & WIC, checks, cash, and gift cards.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    So Winco only recently started accepting credit cards within the last couple of years - they're just going back to the way they used to operate pre-pandemic. They don't like the high transaction fees that Visa/MC are charging for credit cards. However, just like before, they'll continue to accept debit cards, EBT & WIC, checks, cash, and gift cards.
    exactly... so i don't really think the issue has anything to do with inflation, I think it's more this was a change they made during the pandemic and are going back to pre-pandemic when they didn't have to worry about those fees.

This makes no sense

For a long time, Winco didn't take credit cards because they said the fees charged worked against their lowest price possible strategy. For many years Costco didn't take them either for the same reasons.

WinCo recently changed that and is now going back to its old way of doing things. You can still use a debit card, which is all I ever use anyway.

I'm sure they are struggling to keep prices down and still make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For a long time, Winco didn't take credit cards because they said the fees charged worked against their lowest price possible strategy. For many years Costco didn't take them either for the same reasons.

WinCo recently changed that and is now going back to its old way of doing things. You can still use a debit card, which is all I ever use anyway.

Sams was also the same way for the longest time. Unless it was one of their branded cards.

. . .sad, because this had become a regular stop on my grocery rounds. . .but I don't do debit transactions due to less protection to fraudulent charges.

lol wow this seems like a very bad decision

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

are they also lowering their prices across the board a few % the same day .. other wise it seems like a money grab

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    but I don't do debit transactions due to less protection to fraudulent charges.
    Might have been true years ago but not today.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Might have been true years ago but not today.
    Thx. . .I'll revisit

WinCo locations in OKC metro to stop accepting credit cards due to inflation

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...cards/40587600

Seems like a weird, shortsighted move that will likely backfire on them! But that’s just like, my opinion, man.

Credit card companies charge a big fee to merchants for the convenience of using cards. I think it's an admirable move by a budget-driven grocer.

I’ll say this, I’ve heard a few people I know gripe, and not one of them have ever been to this store. I think those that really like Winco will still go, including myself.

I used Winco in Portland and never had a problem using debit cards there. I guess this would be a problem for me now as I exclusively only use credit cards for all transactions. Cash if I absolutely have to. When my 3 debit cards expire I will just request ATM cards from now, as I haven’t used a debit transaction in months or possibly even years now.

I really liked Winco, I wish there was one where I live. They are a well run, no frills grocer.

I mean, it's not going to stop me from going. But it seems likely to cement their perception as the lowest of low-budget stores, even though they really have pretty good products. And maybe that's fine with them! But IMO, they already have a perception problem relative to the actual quality of their stores (which I think is a large part of the reason why they are struggling in the OKC market), and this decision doesn't seem like it will help in that regard. It's definitely one of those things where if they end up exiting the OKC market in a year or two, we'll all look back at this and be like "well, in hindsight, that was some fairly heavy foreshadowing".

22. Default Re: WinCo

I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that the Oklahoma stores were the only ones that allowed credit cards. I also remember they didn't take them when they first opened the Portland one.

They'll still take debit cards, so this doesn't sound like a huge deal. Do a lot of folks use credit cards for groceries?

I remember when Sam's for years only took one of the major credit cards, can't recall which one (or they refused one of the majors, I forget).

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    I'll continue to use walmart delivery as this doesn't appear to be a better options as far as having what you order in stock and I never allow substitutions.

I thought with them having having dedicated kroger drivers and being delivery only it would be better with less screw ups but doesn't sound like it is yet.

I bank with USAA and one time I had an issue with my debit card about 11 years ago and USAA put that money right back in my account the same day. I don't use credit cards.

I've been with USAA for 25 years
    That's funny. I've had my USAA checking account looted twice in the past 5-6 years and had to wait weeks for USAA to get the money back. After the second one I froze my credit accounts and put alerts on everything, MFA, etc. Love USAA, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I mean, it's not going to stop me from going. But it seems likely to cement their perception as the lowest of low-budget stores, even though they really have pretty good products. And maybe that's fine with them! But IMO, they already have a perception problem relative to the actual quality of their stores (which I think is a large part of the reason why they are struggling in the OKC market), and this decision doesn't seem like it will help in that regard. It's definitely one of those things where if they end up exiting the OKC market in a year or two, we'll all look back at this and be like "well, in hindsight, that was some fairly heavy foreshadowing".
    Yeah, back in Albany, OR, where my mom was from, they didn't allow CC usage from the get-go.

Thread Information