Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

About a years or so ago, during the grand opening of the Tulsa store, I was in there looking for some deals before a class I was taking. I asked a question and the guy said, " let me go and get the area manager to answer the question". Ok he did then I asked him about the store on Penn/Memorial, he said that the other okc stores where not performing as well as they were hoping. At this time they had no plans to build at that location.

2. Default Re: WinCo

My biggest issue shopping here is the checkout lines. Never enough open, lucky to have 2 and takes forever. Granted, it's been a long time since I've been in, but a big reason I dislike it and stopped going

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    My biggest issue shopping here is the checkout lines. Never enough open, lucky to have 2 and takes forever. Granted, it's been a long time since I've been in, but a big reason I dislike it and stopped going
    I’d recommend sending them an email or FB message about it so they know.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    And the self-checkouts are absolutely awful! (I have contacted them to express my thoughts.)

When I go, it's during off-hours (remember, they are open 24/7) and I use the self-checkout and I breeze in and out of that place.

It's huge and it took a while to get the lay of the land, but now that I have that down I find shopping there easy, cheap and with a huge assortment of items. It's my go-to grocery store.

One complaint that I have about Winco Foods and other grocery stores that use the automated shopping cart pushing robot is that it distorts the front caster wheel alignment of most, if not all, of the shopping carts. At the 39th & Portland store, almost every shopping cart has the right front caster wheel about a half an inch higher than the left front caster wheel which causes the cart to teeter-totter. I believe it is due to the weight of the train of carts along with the turning radius and angle of the ramp used to bring the shopping carts into the corral (just an educated guess, I'm not a professional engineer).

Winco sold the land they had purchased on N. Penn near Memorial back to the original property owner.

Safe to say they will not be building any more stores in the OKC area.

Is that any indication in regards to the existing stores' performance or did they just realize they hit a good stopping point?

It can’t be good news with regards to the existing stores lol. No reason not to build another one if you’re making good money on the first three. I just hope they’re at least doing well enough to keep the existing ones open.

I'm sure Winco underestimated the hold Walmart has on the deep-discount grocery market in OKC.

I personally love Winco and shop at the 39th Street location all the time. But most people here actually like Walmart which I just don't get (even though I do shop at the Sam's Club on 39th because it's so darn convenient).

I shop at the Winco on 39th and Crest on 23rd. But have to go over to WM grocery on 23rd Penn to get my 22ct Starbucks kcups. lol.

I'm confused on why Walmart has such a strong hold on the grocery market in OKC? I purposely avoid it at all cost, but nearly all my coworkers still shop there.

When asked, they say their experience isn't great, stores are crowded, lines are long, items are out of stock. Yet, they continue to go.

Bummed that Winco isn't coming closer to NWOKC, I'll still drive to the one on 39th occasionally, but both Crest stores in NWOKC and Edmond are still closer for our grocery shopping.

I'm convinced I live in the optimal location (near Penn Square) for accessing the best in OKC grocery options:

Winco on 39th
    Sam's on 39th
    Aldi on N. May
    Sprouts at 63rd & May
    Target at NW Ex & May
    Trader Joe's
    Whole Foods

Only real gap is no nearby Crest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm convinced I live in the optimal location (near Penn Square) for accessing the best in OKC grocery options:

Winco on 39th
    Sam's on 39th
    Aldi on N. May
    Sprouts at 63rd & May
    Target at NW Ex & May
    Trader Joe's
    Whole Foods

If the winco on 39th is around, is the crest on 36th and meridian too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    If the winco on 39th is around, is the crest on 36th and meridian too far?
    It's at 23rd & Meridian.

I never bother going that far and I'm never over in that area otherwise.

I can vouch that the Crest on 23rd is a clean store with a nice produce area. And they bag your groceries so if I need an unusual amount of groceries I go there. You have to bag your own at winco which is usually no problem for me. I really need to try the Aldi at 23rd and MacArthur, And with Sprouts on N May I like my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I'm confused on why Walmart has such a strong hold on the grocery market in OKC? I purposely avoid it at all cost, but nearly all my coworkers still shop there.

When asked, they say their experience isn't great, stores are crowded, lines are long, items are out of stock. Yet, they continue to go.

Bummed that Winco isn't coming closer to NWOKC, I'll still drive to the one on 39th occasionally, but both Crest stores in NWOKC and Edmond are still closer for our grocery shopping.
    Pretty much the entire reason people shop at Walmart is that it's cheap, and that overrides every other concern about their stores/experience.

Winco on 39th
    Sam's on 39th
    Aldi on N. May
    Sprouts at 63rd & May
    Target at NW Ex & May
    Trader Joe's
    Whole Foods

My trifecta is Whole Foods, Sprouts and Winco with Sam's for some things (can't beat their rotisserie chicken!!)

I'm close to Crest and glad they are here but use them primarily for need it "right now" purchases. Too often they get in a snit with a brand/supplier and quit carrying it (I'm guessing for price) but they just tell you they can't get it. . .most recently C&H Cane Sugar which they have carried for years. . .now it's only Imperial. Have had this happen several times over the years (going back to the "old store" in MWC) with different products.

Winco on 39th
    Sam's on 39th
    Aldi on N. May
    Sprouts at 63rd & May
    Target at NW Ex & May
    Trader Joe's
    Whole Foods

The house we just sold was in Warwick Estates at 122nd and MacArthur. That was a great area for grocery too. Within 2 miles we had Sprouts, an upgraded Homeland, Crest, and Walmart Neighborhood Market. They were all essentially within one square mile. For big WalMart and Sam's I had just a short drive to NW Expressway between Rockwell and Council.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Pretty much the entire reason people shop at Walmart is that it's cheap, and that overrides every other concern about their stores/experience.
    I use Wal-Mart quite regularly. It's popular in Oklahoma because Sam Walton spent some time in some small town here. They are cheap, they have massive amount of stock and they have online ordering. They undercut most other pharmacies like CVS if you are self pay. They are a behemouth.
    I've never heard of WinCo.

I too have come to love Walmart in the last few years especially since there are none in Hollywood I never realized how much I like them until I didn’t have nearby. I wish they’d build one or two in Hollywood and west LA.

I'm a price shopper. I used to be one of those coupon freaks back in the day that would get $200 worth of grocery for $20. I hate to bust some bubbles on this website but Walmart is not the cheapest for grocery.

Walmart's not the cheapest.

24. Default Re: WinCo

Winco is more expensive than Crest. It's as simple as that. They're really on-par with Wal-Mart. People go to Wal-Mart THINKING it's cheaper but then if you compare your receipts, it really isn't. But what you do get at Wal-Mart is one-stop shopping. So if someone wants to pick up a shirt/wine/food/can of paint/etc...well they can do all those things at Wal-Mart. And lazy people don't like to bag their own groceries either.

Personally, i go to Aldi/Crest/Sams for my rotation of items and avoid Wal-Mart whenever possible. I tried to like Winco, but i just couldn't. And the layout drives me bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Winco is more expensive than Crest. It's as simple as that. They're really on-par with Wal-Mart. People go to Wal-Mart THINKING it's cheaper but then if you compare your receipts, it really isn't. But what you do get at Wal-Mart is one-stop shopping. So if someone wants to pick up a shirt/wine/food/can of paint/etc...well they can do all those things at Wal-Mart. And lazy people don't like to bag their own groceries either.

Personally, i go to Aldi/Crest/Sams for my rotation of items and avoid Wal-Mart whenever possible. I tried to like Winco, but i just couldn't. And the layout drives me bonkers.
    This is SO fab. This is so right.

Thread Information