Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Southwest OKC has the best Crest in the metro, one of the better Homelands, and will also be getting a Sprouts and a Natural Grocers. You also have that Chef Store if it counts. SW OKC doesn't always get ignored, at least as far as grocers.
    Norman has a good Crest as well.

Hope this runs Homeland out for good (every store I've I've been in of theirs smells foul). I'm not familiar with WinCo, but based on my research, I'm definitely looking forward to this.

They have crazy wide aisles -- even much bigger than Costco.

I lived in southern Idaho for many years, Winco is great.

Keep in mind they dont accept credit cards. They have ATMs in the front of the store. Rather unusual in the 21st Century.

I dont mind bagging my own grocery's. I like to sort them by where they go in my cabinets for easy unloading. Bring reusable bags and pack them full, then you only need to carry in a couple bags in to the house.

Edit: No credit cards, but debit cards are ok.

Did anyone else find that video funny?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Keep in mind they dont accept credit or debit cards. This probably shaves off ~2% off the top. They have ATMs in the front of the store. Rather unusual in the 21st Century
    They do accept debit cards and checks, at least now.

No different than Costco.

You are correct. I seem to remember them not taking debit cards ~10 years ago, at least at the location I frequented.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They do accept debit cards and checks, at least now.

No different than Costco.
    Yeah that would be a bad business decision in this day and age to not accept debit or credit cards. Most people would probably not bother anymore because we are all but a cashless society.

Yeah that would be a bad business decision in this day and age to not accept debit or credit cards. Most people would probably not bother anymore because we are all but a cashless society.
    As a poor college student I did all my shopping at Winco, I'm surprised they dont accept Credit cards now and just charge a 2% fee or something, just enough to cover the processing fees, you know like those gas stations that offer diesel at a cash rate and a credit rate.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    As a poor college student I did all my shopping at Winco, I'm surprised they dont accept Credit cards now and just charge a 2% fee or something, just enough to cover the processing fees, you know like those gas stations that offer diesel at a cash rate and a credit rate.
    So they don't accept credit cards? I thought they did. I would think that they would lose a lot of business, probably more than it would cost to pay the fees, by not accepting them these days.

You live near a Winco Pete, do they accept credit cards on May 8, 2014?

No, they absolutely don't take credit cards but they do take debit cards and checks.

Exact same policy as Costco -- not a big deal.

Pete,
    That would be great for me, I ride my own scooter and push a basket alongside of me. There are many places where I have troubles. I could learn to like a place like this.
    C. T.
    They have crazy wide aisles -- even much bigger than Costco.

Bchris,
    I think I'm the only cash customer left in OKC. I won't even write a check at places that debit my account instantly and hand my check back. I also don't own a debit card but do use credit cards when I'm short of cash.
    C. T.

No, they absolutely don't take credit cards but they do take debit cards and checks.

Exact same policy as Costco -- not a big deal.
    Checks but no CC. Weird policy for both.

16. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    Sam's had the same policy for years.

MustangGT,
    I'm sure they do the same with checks that has been legal since 2004, a law was passed because of the airline freeze immediately after 9/11 that a check could be used as a debit device (like a debit card). When Sam's takes your check, you don't even have to sign it, or really even fill it out, they just stripe the account number and enter the purchase amount and it works like a debit card.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post

After watching the video, WinCo reminds me of Food4Less that used to serve the OKC market decades ago. I hope the square footage of the store featured in the video would be the same size store we would be getting in OKC.

^

Yes, all their stores are 80-90,000 square feet.

They're massive.

The 2nd location mentioned was 39th & May, but, according to another board, a building permit for Sam's Club was filed for that same NW corner....is WinCo down to 2 stores in the metro now?

Oops. forgive me. The map actually shows west of that area, which is GREAT for me, stuck in Bethany!

I now understand there will be a 4th WinCo location in the Metro, somewhere in the South/Moore area.

Any ideas where they may be going?

This is pure speculation. They're clearly not afraid of head-to-head competition with the Waltons. I'd say they're going to find their way to Fritt's Farm or somewhere near I-35 and 19th/149th.

I think they actually like to go across the street from Walmart/Sam's where possible. They are effectively doing this at two of their 3 OKC locations that we have nailed down.

Also, they don't seem overly concerned about freeway exposure.

Plenty of space near Walmart Neighborhood market on Western and 104th. (N of the shopping center on the NE corner).

Also some vacant land in the area around Walmart on I-240 and Santa Fe.

Thread Information