Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 205 N Walnut

Default Re: Aloft Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yeah. I couldn't believe how much space there was in the back. It really could be an incredible environment as its sunk in next to Aloft, but the trees could be trimmed to still provide a nice view of Bricktown/downtown.
    You should see how much space is inside. One day the door was open and I walked in. There's a big basement too. There is plenty of room for a bar or a restaurant with a smaller kitchen. It's really a shame it hasn't been developed yet.

Default Re: 205 N Walnut

I want a rooftop/big deck bar/restaurant here so badly. Rumor mill churning on this property lately.

I would love to see a bar like this open in OKC. It's a niche that is yet unfilled here to my knowledge.

Home | British Beverage Co.

Went there when I was in Dallas this weekend and it was amazing. I was thinking to myself that OKC needs a place like that and if I had the money and the knowledge I might try to open it. I would show all sports on the TVs but focus primarily on soccer. Food would be traditional British fare and I would serve beer the way it is served at Fassler Hall. 205 N Walnut might be a good location, or somewhere in the Plaza district.

Ok, here is my idea. We need a speciality spice (Pensey's would be nice) shop that would also sell coffee and teas. Basically a store that would attract shoppers from all over the metro area and beyond. Maybe, they could also offer an outdoor space to drink coffee and tea that they would brew along with a bunch of out of town newspapers/magazines, add a few board games and a large screen tv. The spice store on Western is nothing compared to Pensey's. I drive to Dallas or KC and stop in and buy stuff.

Blog Entries

This site possibly presents parking challenges considering Aloft has been uber stingy with their parking garage.

Another idea, how about a real bakery. Not a donut shop, but one that might sell fresh bread/rolls and breakfast pastry. Danish or other flakey pastry, have an outdoor seating area for people to grab a cup of coffee or tea and eat there Danish. You could also pick up that loaf of fresh bread to go with breakfast or dinner.

Also fancy cakes by the slice to go with your coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Another idea, how about a real bakery. Not a donut shop, but one that might sell fresh bread/rolls and breakfast pastry. Danish or other flakey pastry, have an outdoor seating area for people to grab a cup of coffee or tea and eat there Danish. You could also pick up that loaf of fresh bread to go with breakfast or dinner.
    Belle Kitchen - OKCTalk

Coming very soon to OKSea.

Oh man, I hope he does something cool with this building. I've had my eyes on it for a long time.

If I was wealthy enough, I would have bought it and opened up a genuine English pub there. The focus would be traditional British fare, beer, and soccer, with live music nights as well.

Jeff Johnson is a great steward for this property.

He's done a lot of high-quality renovation and typically gets things done.

Parking is going to be a big challenge unless they can work something out with Aloft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Jeff Johnson is a great steward for this property.

He's done a lot of high-quality renovation and typically gets things done.

Parking is going to be a big challenge unless they can work something out with Aloft.
    The easy answer is parking underneath the bridge, but I don't remember if there are stairs on the north end of that bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    The easy answer is parking underneath the bridge, but I don't remember if there are stairs on the north end of that bridge.
    There are stairs on both sides of the bridge at the south end but none on the north end, so people parking below would have to backtrack a bit then walk over the bridge and I doubt few people would even know to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are stairs on both sides of the bridge at the south end but none on the north end, so people parking below would have to backtrack a bit then walk over the bridge and I doubt few people would even know to do this.
    Probably have issues with the railroad there, assuming they still own that right of way

^

Yes, same issues as OKSea has which is why they built that movable staircase.

The area near this property is much steeper though.

$275,000? That seems like a total steal. Also would be a great spot for a 24/7 type restaurant.

It's a lot bigger inside than it looks, too. It was open one day and I walked through. There's a surprising amount of square footage.

If they clear some of the brush and tree limps, and add a nice neon sign I wonder if people would make the trek from Bricktown...

The current owners are trying to lease this as restaurant space and offering to do the following renovations. Design is by AHMM architects.

The space in the back has amazing potential. The biggest obstacle is parking as you can't even park on the street anywhere on Walnut. It would be nice to work something out with the Aloft which has that structured parking just to the north.

Aroused.

Blog Entries

I'm eager for something to happen with this property, and I think they are making a valiant effort. But I'm not sure about this layout, not that I have a better idea or anything. If it were me I'd preserve the existing structure but build a support framework around it to where I could add at least one floor of inside space and then have a rooftop (I realize this is a very costly proposal that may not be affordable to the current owners). The view from this area is just too good to not try that. The trees could be trimmed to allow a better view from a rooftop but probably not from the patio. How are the future apartment dwellers supposed to get to their residences? If that future apartment building is 4-5 stories but very slender (basically a unit per floor) there could be some special views from it.

Also I hope they don't paint it white, the current structure.

I assume the "future apartments" on the site plan are purely conceptual? Or is there anything in the works regarding apartments in that location? Could do some really cool/different things with that space.

Thread Information