Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: UCO Projects

Default Re: UCO Projects

They broke ground on a Liberal Arts building addition this past November.

https://www3.uco.edu/press/prdetail.asp?NewsID=24192

At the UCO Spring Forum, President Betz announced a handful of new facilities that are either already under construction or will be starting soon:

Under Construction:
    -Math/Science STEM Building- near 2nd Street and Garland Godfrey
    -Liberal Arts Building Expansion- on east end of campus
    -Athletics Training Center - football stadium endzone north campus.
    -Baseball Field renovations with new turf and facility enhancements

Coming soon:
    -New weightroom/locker room facility on the north end of Hamilton Fieldhouse
    - New campus dining facility/conference facility. - This appears to be a three story structure that will be placed in front of the fieldhouse in the middle of the current Ayers street that runs through campus. There are plans to close the street completely as through street.

You can see pictures and hear more about the announcement here at the 34:50 mark
    https://streaming.uco.edu/media/UCO+...018/1_5479f9l1

“here are plans to close the street completely as through street.”

Very disappointed to read that. Shortsighted move but not surprising coming from Oklahoma. It seems many cities there love to close through streets with no consideration of future traffic needs and movements through the city. Oh well, it’s just one street.

4. Default Re: UCO Projects

Its a college campus, not part of an urban street grid. Colleges across the country severely limit, if not prevent city traffic access for safety and campus walkability reasons.

No they don’t. I’ll respond with more later

6. Default Re: UCO Projects

I guess thats why roads have been closed or downgraded to winding combinations of small roads, alleys and parking lots in places such as Boulder, UCLA and South Bend. Campuses in urban areas such as many back east, Austin to some extent and other inner-city schools may be part of the grid and would be too disruptive to block streets. Campuses like we have in OK are in suburbs or smaller cities so streets generally go around the campuses or are very limited in size, length and use. This preserves the academic quality, reduces conflicts between bicyclists, pedestrians and cars, and allows streets to be converted to campus pedestrian malls and bike lanes. I fail to see how, on a non-urban campus this could possibly be seen as a negative. Go online and read papers written by entities such as the American Institute of Architecture supporting this. Its been done at OU with great success, Edmond has plenty of alternate streets and UCO is trying to promote a cohesive, walkable campus atmosphere - not one of a commuter college.

UCLA, Stanford, MIT, Berkley, Princeton, USC, etc. all have plenty of through streets. I live north of UCLA in Bel Air, so point out to me what street you're referring to that they closed because since I've moved here they haven't closed any and UCLA is always f@cked with traffic. I am considering attending classes there and I'm very familiar with that campus, more so than any major campus out there, even OU or UCO. Regardless what AIA supports, this is short sighted, IMO.

There are plenty of pedestrian only corridors in UCO, btw. How about they improve the ones they have because the existing ones are sh!t, tbh. They aren't inviting and feel nothing more than just a road that has been closed to vehicle traffic. Not every road needs to be closed for pedestrian and not every road means an area can't be walkable.

If Ayers is closed there won't be a single east to west corridor for an entire mile crossing UCO and University Dr. doesn't count. This is all right next to Edmond's downtown. Again, this is coming from someone who thinks Edwards St. should be extended to University Dr. and vehicular traffic restored on the previously closed portions to reconnect Campbell St. Once again, this can happen and the area can still be just as walkable as it is now. I also want Main St. restored and Hurd Street closed. This can even open up more opportunities for development and create a more vibrant atmosphere for the campus.

This isn't Santa Monica and pedestrian malls don't work everywhere. I'm not against making Edmond more walkable. Hell, I even support narrowing Broadway to two lanes and I want a street car system in Edmond(I don't usually support street cars in most cases but I do for Edmond) to connect it with UCO. I support tons of more bike lanes for this area. That is stuff they should be doing. Tearing out a street grid and eliminating cars won't make the campus better. It will cut off the east side of the campus with houses from Downtown Edmond and will likely stall that areas revival, which really needs it. Only exception is if the investment over there is public which I doubt will happen.

This is just such a shortsighted move and I can see the initial fun of it but enjoy the low traffic while it exists. All cities like OKC like to brag about not having any traffic and then can make irresponsible decisions by disconnecting street grids until you wake up one day and it is not fun anymore. I want cities to be more connected and I know of several instances where various places in Edmond alone are closing streets to cars(most of them being in suburban neighborhood developments around the city.

BTW, for anyone cheering on UCO and Edmond for trying to be more pedestrian friendly, let me remind you of the realities that they just tore down a beautiful--what I consider to be historic--building for a parking lot. They continue to add more parking as well and anecdotally , everyone I know or knew that went to UCO commuted by car there(even friends I made who were foreign students). I knew several people from Ivory Coast who I befriended awhile back and even though some lived as close as Chowning and DT Edmond, all commuted by car. Again, closing this street will do nothing to make the campus more walkable and will hinder city progress in this area, imo. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

It seems clear from the plans, that the goal is to turn the area Ayers goes through into the new central hub for on campus housing. With the new dining hall going in front of the field house, that will mean the old one will be demolished along with westhall at some point and a new dorm hall built there. The soccer field will probably also be redeveloped at some point with dorms.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    “here are plans to close the street completely as through street.”

Very disappointed to read that. Shortsighted move but not surprising coming from Oklahoma. It seems many cities there love to close through streets with no consideration of future traffic needs and movements through the city. Oh well, it’s just one street.
    Yeah, if Oklahoma is known for one thing, it’s closing streets to cars. Typical Oklahoma! Are there even any streets that allow cars left?!?

10. Default Re: UCO Projects

I haven't read through this whole thread, so maybe it's been discussed - or maybe it's already happened, I haven't been on the UCO campus in a couple of years - but I recently heard the group who was protesting the Land Run mural last year finally won and UCO will be having it removed and replaced with something else. I remember the mural and don't necessarily think it's a masterpiece, but I don't agree with it coming done because some group of busybodies find it "offensive."

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yeah, if Oklahoma is known for one thing, it’s closing streets to cars. Typical Oklahoma! Are there even any streets that allow cars left?!?
    That’s funny. But I am noticing a trend of closing streets in OKC metro. I am not against every one(I even advocated for closing Paseo Dr.) but I think a lot of them should stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I haven't read through this whole thread, so maybe it's been discussed - or maybe it's already happened, I haven't been on the UCO campus in a couple of years - but I recently heard the group who was protesting the Land Run mural last year finally won and UCO will be having it removed and replaced with something else. I remember the mural and don't necessarily think it's a masterpiece, but I don't agree with it coming done because some group of busybodies find it "offensive."
    I hadn’t heard that. Been real disappointed in some of the decisions this school has been associated with as an alumnus.

13. Default Re: UCO Projects

UCLA, Stanford, MIT, Berkley, Princeton, USC, etc. all have plenty of through streets. I live north of UCLA in Bel Air, so point out to me what street you're referring to that they closed because since I've moved here they haven't closed any and UCLA is always f@cked with traffic. I am considering attending classes there and I'm very familiar with that campus, more so than any major campus out there, even OU or UCO. Regardless what AIA supports, this is short sighted, IMO.

There are plenty of pedestrian only corridors in UCO, btw. How about they improve the ones they have because the existing ones are sh!t, tbh. They aren't inviting and feel nothing more than just a road that has been closed to vehicle traffic. Not every road needs to be closed for pedestrian and not every road means an area can't be walkable.

If Ayers is closed there won't be a single east to west corridor for an entire mile crossing UCO and University Dr. doesn't count. This is all right next to Edmond's downtown. Again, this is coming from someone who thinks Edwards St. should be extended to University Dr. and vehicular traffic restored on the previously closed portions to reconnect Campbell St. Once again, this can happen and the area can still be just as walkable as it is now. I also want Main St. restored and Hurd Street closed. This can even open up more opportunities for development and create a more vibrant atmosphere for the campus.

This isn't Santa Monica and pedestrian malls don't work everywhere. I'm not against making Edmond more walkable. Hell, I even support narrowing Broadway to two lanes and I want a street car system in Edmond(I don't usually support street cars in most cases but I do for Edmond) to connect it with UCO. I support tons of more bike lanes for this area. That is stuff they should be doing. Tearing out a street grid and eliminating cars won't make the campus better. It will cut off the east side of the campus with houses from Downtown Edmond and will likely stall that areas revival, which really needs it. Only exception is if the investment over there is public which I doubt will happen.

This is just such a shortsighted move and I can see the initial fun of it but enjoy the low traffic while it exists. All cities like OKC like to brag about not having any traffic and then can make irresponsible decisions by disconnecting street grids until you wake up one day and it is not fun anymore. I want cities to be more connected and I know of several instances where various places in Edmond alone are closing streets to cars(most of them being in suburban neighborhood developments around the city.

BTW, for anyone cheering on UCO and Edmond for trying to be more pedestrian friendly, let me remind you of the realities that they just tore down a beautiful--what I consider to be historic--building for a parking lot. They continue to add more parking as well and anecdotally , everyone I know or knew that went to UCO commuted by car there(even friends I made who were foreign students). I knew several people from Ivory Coast who I befriended awhile back and even though some lived as close as Chowning and DT Edmond, all commuted by car. Again, closing this street will do nothing to make the campus more walkable and will hinder city progress in this area, imo. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
    I'm very familiar with the UCLA campus so maybe you aren't old enough to remember. Nonetheless, it sounds like you are taking out out yet ankther anti-Oklahoma rant magnifying an insignificant action into something to use to just complain. As I mentioned, Edmond has plenty of other alternatives. I'm not familiar with all the school campuses you mentioned but at least with MIT, Princeton and likely, USC, they fall into that "urban campus" category I mentioned where the school fits into the city street grid. Suit it to say, school campuses are different and Oklahoma's have no real land problems so they choose the iconic pedestrian dominated campus where students can concern themselves more with studies, relaxing outdoor spots in the shade and not watching out for cars

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm very familiar with the UCLA campus so maybe you aren't old enough to remember. Nonetheless, it sounds like you are taking out out yet ankther anti-Oklahoma rant magnifying an insignificant action into something to use to just complain. As I mentioned, Edmond has plenty of other alternatives. I'm not familiar with all the school campuses you mentioned but at least with MIT, Princeton and likely, USC, they fall into that "urban campus" category I mentioned where the school fits into the city street grid. Suit it to say, school campuses are different and Oklahoma's have no real land problems so they choose the iconic pedestrian dominated campus where students can concern themselves more with studies, relaxing outdoor spots in the shade and not watching out for cars
    No I promise you I'm not. I care deeply about Oklahoma, it just frustrates me to see the city go this route by closing this road. This is virtually the only road that goes through campus. So that argument of the students having to worry about cars does not apply here.

This isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things and I understand that. Though Edmond doesn't have land issues and Oklahoma City is free to sprawl out as much as it wants, that isn't necessarily the best answer. But whatever. I'm not arguing this any further. I've made my point clear and besides this and the tearing down of Acadia Inn, UCO is doing a fine job of building out their campus and I am excited for the future of this school.

To be perfectly honest, Ayers between Chowning Ave and University Dr is already severely restricted through here, by design. It is only two lanes, has a ton of speed bumps, and the speed limit is set to 20mph. It doesn't handle much traffic at all compared to other nearby streets. There is just simply no overwhelming need for traffic to cross campus right here. As it is, Chowning handles a lot of traffic in and out of the campus to those northeastern parking lots, and as long as they keep Ayers open to the west of Chowning, the routes around campus will be more than sufficient to handle the traffic. I don't see the controversy in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    To be perfectly honest, Ayers between Chowning Ave and University Dr is already severely restricted through here, by design. It is only two lanes, has a ton of speed bumps, and the speed limit is set to 20mph. It doesn't handle much traffic at all compared to other nearby streets. There is just simply no overwhelming need for traffic to cross campus right here. As it is, Chowning handles a lot of traffic in and out of the campus to those northeastern parking lots, and as long as they keep Ayers open to the west of Chowning, the routes around campus will be more than sufficient to handle the traffic. I don't see the controversy in the slightest.
    I completely agree. I drive around UCO daily and I will avoid driving through the middle of campus on Ayers at all cost. The speed bumps, stop signs and crosswalks make it virtually useless.

17. Default Re: UCO Projects

No they don’t. I’ll respond with more later
    Sure they do. Lots of universities close streets to keep the cars away from the walkers. I believe University of Iowa is mostly closed and that started 40+ years ago. OU has reduced it's streets as well....remember when the oval was a road? OCU cut out through access with the new music building since it was built on top of the road (and created some very weird angled parking). Just a couple of examples off the top of my head, but it all comes down to anwwering is the street really a main thoroughfare (like Lindsey/Main i Norman) or is it just a "convenience" street? Convenience roads like this one in Edmond dont really have a reason to not close other than disconnecting parking lots. If you currently use it to drive through campus, you probably shouldn't be doing that anyway if you aren't a student.

Yep, OU just closed the south oval from traffic in the last 10 years. It was definitely a good move.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yep, OU just closed the south oval from traffic in the last 10 years. It was definitely a good move.
    Agreed. And to be honest, they could use a few more street closures around campus if they could get some more strategically placed garages built - but I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Sure they do. Lots of universities close streets to keep the cars away from the walkers. I believe University of Iowa is mostly closed and that started 40+ years ago. OU has reduced it's streets as well....remember when the oval was a road? OCU cut out through access with the new music building since it was built on top of the road (and created some very weird angled parking). Just a couple of examples off the top of my head, but it all comes down to anwwering is the street really a main thoroughfare (like Lindsey/Main i Norman) or is it just a "convenience" street? Convenience roads like this one in Edmond dont really have a reason to not close other than disconnecting parking lots. If you currently use it to drive through campus, you probably shouldn't be doing that anyway if you aren't a student.
    Completely different scenario and OU has through roads. My point remains valid that most universities have through roads and aren’t closing roads left and right like is being inferred here.

Just because OU close a road doesn’t change anything. I’m not familiar with OU so I can’t comment.

If you're curious, Google streetview is not updated so you can still see the open road HERE. Just looking at it now, I realize what an improvement it was for this part of campus.

How often does streeview tend to get updated? This image shows Gould Hall still under constrution, which means the images are 2011 or earlier.

22. Default Re: UCO Projects

I guess it is all a matter of the type of campus, the size of the student body and the layout. Many campuses seem to be like OU and try to block off the main undergrad areas for pedestrians only. Some, like UCLA, U of Tx and North Carolina are in rather urban areas so have more streets. Even at UCLA there are areas the size of OUs main campus without through streets. The campus is much larger than OU so there are streets in the campus. As far as UCO, the east-west traffic flow through that segment of town is pretty low and 2nd and Dnforth can handle it I still see no issue. At Ou, they closed more than "a street." OUs main undergrad acedemic campus has no through streets. Asp ends on both the north and south campus into cul-de-sacs, Brooks was closed long ago east and west into a pedestrian walk and the South Oval was turned into a pedestrian mall. Lindsey St is a main road through Norman and shouldn't be closed. South of Lindsey are the residential areas, the grad school buildings, sports complexes, the Law School and the museum. These are all for commuters or otherwise need cars.
    Campuses that are less congested, like our local schools. can certainly handle a few closed streets.

23. Default Re: UCO Projects

Completely different scenario and OU has through roads. My point remains valid that most universities have through roads and aren’t closing roads left and right like is being inferred here.

Just because OU close a road doesn’t change anything. I’m not familiar with OU so I can’t comment.
    Actually, i think people here have made a pretty good case to counter your points. No one said they're closing roads left and right, but our point was that what UCO is doing is VERY normal and can be found on pretty much any university (regardless of size) but that it depends on the size/location of the university for the extent of those closures.

And that last comment i think points out that if you're not familiar and can't comment, then how can you totally discount the evidence from it. Just because we haven't been to university "X" doesn't mean they DON'T close roads either. Not knowing about the evidence doesn't change the fact that the evidence exists. So we discuss it here so people are educated about things they may not be exposed to in their world. I certainly wouldn't have known about u of Iowa if a couple of coworkers hadn't gone there both 40 years ago and 10 years ago. And while i've made my rounds to a number of universities in my time, i certainly don't know every detail about all of them, nor would i pretend to. Like you, i'm simply the summation of the experiences i've had. I just have to be willing to accept that there may be more to the story out there than what i'm aware of.

But to summarize, we have universities of all sizes in OK that are doing this. Does that mean they're doing it "all the time", of course not. What it means though, is that UCO isn't doing something crazy and weird. Can it be annoying? Absolutely. Is the world still going to spin the next day though? Yup.

Maybe if the neighborhood directly east of the university was larger I would be in favor of keeping that road open. It looks like most of the homes though are concentrated north along University drive. If anything the school would probably like to expand to the east in the future.

I’m not disagreeing with what everyone is saying but I stick by my points. Closing his street won’t increase walkability and down the line will be likely be reopened as it was a short sighted move.

I’ve said multiple times here, I don’t think this is that big of a deal. I don’t know how to else to say it.

Thread Information