Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: UCO Projects

Default Re: UCO Projects

Community Invited to Tour, Learn More About Plans to Expand UCO's Historic Mitchell Hall

Community Invited to Tour, Learn More About Plans to Expand UCO's Historic Mitchell Hall
    A rendering shows the planned expansion of the University of Central Oklahoma’s Mitchell Hall Theatre. The community can tour the historic building and learn more about the project and the Build Mitchell Hall campaign at “Vision to Legacy: An Evening with Rand Elliott” March 27.

March 9, 2015

Media Contact: Angela Morris, Staff Writer, UCO College of Fine Arts and Design, 405-974-3752, amorris11@uco.edu

COMMUNITY INVITED TO TOUR, LEARN MORE ABOUT PLANS TO EXPAND UCO’S HISTORIC MITCHELL HALL

The University of Central Oklahoma College of Fine Arts and Design will host “Vision to Legacy: An Evening with Rand Elliott” on March 27 in Mitchell Hall Theatre to showcase the college’s new capital campaign, Build Mitchell Hall, an expansion that will nearly double the size of the historic campus venue.

Wine, hors d’oeuvres and theater tours begin at 4:30 p.m. and the program begins at 6 p.m.

The event is free and open to the public.

“Build Mitchell Hall is a campaign to benefit the quality of education available to our performing art majors and to benefit the quality of entertainment provided to our community,” said Deborah Baucom, manager of development for the UCO College of Fine Arts and Design.

Designed by Elliott + Associates Architects, the project will include two new rehearsal halls, a performing arts blocking studio/storm shelter, a comprehensive costume shop, make-up lab, dressing rooms with showers, lounge areas for students and performers, a gallery space, a revitalized green room, courtyard and outdoor study area.

The program will include a presentation by Rand Elliott, lead architect of Elliott + Associates, to showcase the designs for the expansion as well as the impact the project will have on students and the community.

“Build Mitchell Hall will address a critical need for more rehearsal space and improved theatre amenities, allowing our performing arts programs to grow a projected 30 percent,” said Baucom.

“Build Mitchell Hall will also enhance the productions our college is able to provide to UCO and the Oklahoma City metro.”

The Build Mitchell Hall campaign recently received a lead gift from the Robert Glenn Rapp Foundation as well as 100 percent faculty/staff giving within the College of Fine Arts and Design.

“We invite all to learn at ‘Vision to Legacy’ how your support of Build Mitchell Hall can shape the course of a student’s career and better the cultural offerings available to a community we love,” Baucom concluded.

To learn more about the campaign, visit www.buildmitchellhall.com or call Baucom at 405-974-3718.

(end)

Editor’s Note: Download art associated with this release at www.uco.edu/photo/MitchellHall03.15.

Cutline: A rendering shows the planned expansion of the University of Central Oklahoma’s Mitchell Hall Theatre. The community can tour the historic building and learn more about the project and the Build Mitchell Hall campaign at “Vision to Legacy: An Evening with Rand Elliott” March 27.

The last couple are from the beginning of May, forgot to post them then but wanted to give a better view of the other side compared to the three from the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HangryHippo Guest

I am shocked by how nice these have turned out. I don't know if the renderings just didn't do the project justice, or what, but they look great.

The Quad is open and students have been moving in. Here's an article from the Oklahoman about it and some pictures I took while walking around campus at lunch yesterday.

This last one is a view from inside the courtyard, Google stitched together another panorama for me as I'd hoped it would. It's big so here's the thumbnail, clicky for the full version.

Quad - 3.jpg

Also, work in underway on the final set of renovations to Old North to get it back up and running and occupied.

Attached Images Attached Images

Great photos man. I ride my bike through campus a lot and love seeing Old North.

7. Default Re: UCO Projects

Wonder what now happens with the former dorm that was formerly the Ramada Inn? That's a fairly significant structure along 2nd St. Anyone heard any plans yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Wonder what now happens with the former dorm that was formerly the Ramada Inn? That's a fairly significant structure along 2nd St. Anyone heard any plans yet?
    it's not owned by UCO and the owner has kept it as student housing.

The owner of Central Plaza is keeping it as private student housing. The university was just leasing the building. There has been doing some remodeling on the building. I drive by there almost every day. I noticed yesterday that there's a sign up over a door on the north side of the building announcing the opening of somebody's bar and grill.

I toured the new dorm on the day of the ribbon cutting. It is very nice.

The UCO sports website indicates that an anonymous former Bronchos football player has made a $1M donation to the "Complete the Dream" athletic facilities improvement program. That will go a long way towards making some progress.

http://bronchosports.com/news/2016/1...120165008.aspx
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

The sports program also got a $10 million donation last November, so there's a fair amount of money already in that pot: UCO News: UCO Receives Record-Setting $10 Million Gift

I recall hearing some rumblings about a big donation, but I never learned of the figure until now. Thanks.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

I just noticed today that the two story white house across the street from UCO on University and Campbell has been demolished, along with the small house behind it. Does anyone know if anything is slated to be developed here?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I just noticed today that the two story white house across the street from UCO on University and Campbell has been demolished, along with the small house behind it. Does anyone know if anything is slated to be developed here?
    Parking lot.

Lots of pictures of the Old North renovation which should be wrapping up soon. https://www.facebook.com/uco.broncho...53951645018995

Mitchell Hall expansion going up...
    IMG_20160921_143259.jpg
    IMG_20160921_143129.jpg

^^^
    Behind pay wall. Something about $50 mil for campus improvements. Any details?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    UCO finalizing $50 million renovation plans

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 4, 2016

EDMOND – The University of Central Oklahoma is finalizing plans for about $50 million in campus improvements, pending the approval of the education lease program.

A $14 million sports performance facility will break ground this spring.

The university will build a new dining center, upgrade its liberal arts building, and complete the second phase of the sports facility.

Vice President of Operations Kevin Freeman said these updates have been in the works for the last 10 years. They are all expected to finish in 2019.

The existing dining center and the liberal arts building were constructed in the 1960s, so student needs have changed since then. The university has to keep up with education trends to help with recruitment, he said.

“It’s imperative to upgrade these facilities as needed,” Freeman said.

The dining center will be about the same size as the existing dining area, but the kitchen will be built differently, allowing more space for eating. The center will be the first floor of a multi-story building. Freeman said the building will have either one or two more stories, with office, meeting, and event spaces.

The Liberal Arts building is frequently used by students because it’s where many general education classes are held. The update will include new classroom spaces configured to modern education needs and a renovation to the existing Pegasus Theater.

Some money for the three projects is coming from the Oklahoma State System of Higher Education Master Real Property Lease Program. UCO’s loan requests will be reviewed with other universities’ loan requests before the money is allotted. That process includes approval needed by the state Legislature and the state’s council of bond oversight. If approval is given, it will not be done until summer 2017.

UCO Athletic Director Joe Muller said the athletic program has needed its new facilities for several years. When he arrived in 2008, the newest renovation was the football stadium and the soccer field. Otherwise, the school hadn’t updated its facilities in at least 30 years.

Muller said recruitment can be challenging since coaches do not have the newest spaces to show potential student-athletes.

“We have some exceptional coaches that are good at selling the other virtues of UCO,” he said. “We have a lot to sell other than facilities.”

Now, a new softball complex is under construction and more work will start soon. The 45,000-square-foot sports performance facility that will break ground in April will have a weight room, study space, theater room, coaches’ offices, and a training facility. The phase two will have an indoor track, wrestling room, locker rooms, and auxiliary gymnasium.

These new areas will not only help with recruitment but could help move the university into a higher playing field. Muller said people outside the school have bandied about the idea of moving into a different conference or Division I.

“We are one of the largest DII schools in the country,” he said. “Until we engage or construct these facilities, we need to be good where we are. We need to win some championships at the Division II level.”

Can we please put a moratorium on posting links that lead to a paywall? Only post if you have actual information. A link leading to a paywall gives no more information than a link leading to a 404.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Can we please put a moratorium on posting links that lead to a paywall? Only post if you have actual information. A link leading to a paywall gives no more information than a link leading to a 404.
    He's clarified it before, but Plutonic Panda posts links and usually warreng88 or Pete will post the full article. If I recall correctly, the Journal Record hasn't taken issue with this.

Thread Information