Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: UCO Projects

Default Re: UCO Projects

I saw banners at Wantland during Homecoming last week with the new Sports Complex renderings. Anyone know if these are online anywhere?

UCO Breaks Ground on New STEM Teaching and Research Center

UCO Breaks Ground on New STEM Teaching and Research Center
    Seen here in a rendering by Elliott + Associates Architects, the University of Central Oklahoma’s new UCO Interdisciplinary STEM Teaching and Research Center will be 57,000 square feet and will include state-of-the-art research labs, new classrooms and faculty office space.

Feb. 14, 2017

Media Contact: Sarah Neese, Communications and Marketing Coordinator, UCO University Communications, 405-974-2121, sneese@uco.edu

UCO BREAKS GROUND ON NEW STEM TEACHING AND RESEARCH CENTER

As industry and economic leaders across Oklahoma look to meet future employment demands in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) careers, the University of Central Oklahoma continues to strengthen its STEM program with the addition of the UCO Interdisciplinary STEM Teaching and Research Center.

Central broke ground on the new center, scheduled to open in the fall of 2018, on Friday, Feb. 10, with a ceremony near its location on the southern edge of campus. The 57,000-square-foot building will include state-of-the-art research labs, new classrooms and faculty office space, as well as the Center for Interdisciplinary Biomedical Education and Research, the Center for Research and Education in Interdisciplinary Computation, various forensic science laboratories, an applied mathematics suite and a nursing simulation station.

“The UCO Interdisciplinary STEM Teaching and Research Center will be a new landmark on the UCO campus,” said Wei Chen, Ph.D., dean of Central’s College of Mathematics and Science (CMS), during the groundbreaking ceremony.

“It will open a new chapter for the College of Mathematics and Science. Here you will see the cross-pollination of ideas from across all STEM disciplines.”

Elliott + Associates Architects, in coordination with McClaren, Wilson and Lawrie, Inc. and Lippert Bros., Inc., designed the center, with a cost of $24 million, funded through a master lease bond issue to be paid for through CMS facility fees. In addition, the university will launch the “Ignite the Future of STEM” campaign, which will engage donors to support interior needs for the building.

A need for the new STEM facility developed as the College of Mathematics and Science grew. During the last decade, CMS student enrollment increased 54 percent and graduations within the college increased 33 percent. Additionally, academic and professional development among CMS students and faculty also increased, with faculty earning more than $17 million in research and education grants and more than 14 U.S. and international patents filed on behalf of UCO.

For more information about Central’s College of Mathematics and Science, visit www.uco.edu/cms.

(end)

Editor’s Note: Download art associated with the release at www.media.uco.edu/press/STEMGroundbreaking02.17.

Cutline 1: The University of Central Oklahoma recently broke ground on its new UCO Interdisciplinary STEM Teaching and Research Center, a 57,000-square-foot building, which will include state-of-the-art research labs, new classrooms and faculty office space. Pictured from left to right, at the groundbreaking event on Feb. 10, are Nick Bench, marketing director and project manager at Lippert Bros., Inc.; Charlotte Simmons, Ph.D., associate vice president for academic affairs; Rand Elliott, FAIA, founder and lead architect at Elliott + Associates Architects; Regent Mark Stansberry; Regent Susan Winchester; John Barthell, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs; UCO President Don Betz; Wei Chen, Ph.D., dean of the College of Mathematics and Science; Dwight Adams, Ph.D., director of Central’s Forensic Science Institute; and Lee Beasley, Sherry Beasley, Mike Steffen and Kathy Steffen, co-chairs for the “Ignite the Future of STEM” campaign.

Cutline 2: Seen here in a rendering by Elliott + Associates Architects, the University of Central Oklahoma’s new UCO Interdisciplinary STEM Teaching and Research Center will be 57,000 square feet and will include state-of-the-art research labs, new classrooms and faculty office space.

HangryHippo Guest

My goodness, that building is ugly.

Where on the South side of campus is this going? UCO sure has changed since I graduated. It was pretty tired when I went there they had only started some of their newer projects by the time I was out of there. Really happy to see the school grow and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My goodness, that building is ugly.
    Personally I kind of hate it, but don't quote me on that. Another Rand Elliott masterpiece.

I had hoped with trend of other new buildings on campus that UCO had settled into more normal looking buildings, less modern art writ large approach, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Where on the South side of campus is this going? UCO sure has changed since I graduated. It was pretty tired when I went there they had only started some of their newer projects by the time I was out of there. Really happy to see the school grow and develop.
    Right north of the Forensic Science building, on a former parking lot. See the bottom of https://www.uco.edu/resources/campus...arking-map.pdf.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Personally I kind of hate it, but don't quote me on that. Another Rand Elliott masterpiece.

I had hoped with trend of other new buildings on campus that UCO had settled into more normal looking buildings, less modern art writ large approach, but apparently not.
    I couldn't have said it better myself David. I absolutely hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

Right north of the Forensic Science building, on a former parking lot. See the bottom of https://www.uco.edu/resources/campus...arking-map.pdf.
    That sure seems like they are taking away a lot of parking. Are they adding it elsewhere?

There's some new parking that has gone up recently on the west side of University.

The new parking lots all appear to be pretty small. The lot they are building on was a large staff/faulty lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    The new parking lots all appear to be pretty small. The lot they are building on was a large staff/faulty lot.
    Yeah I was noticing that too. But I'm not really sure how full the other lots get. I actually drove by UCO a couple weeks ago during the day, as I was in the area, and noticed the big main lots on the East side of campus weren't normally as full as I remembered them. UCO has traditionally been a commuter school, and I know when I went there back in the day, they were trying to make a push to get more people to live on or near campus. I wonder if this has had an effect on parking needs.

UCO Celebrates Reopening of Historic Old North with Public Open House

UCO Celebrates Reopening of Historic Old North with Public Open House
    The University of Central Oklahoma will host a public opening of Old North, the oldest building on the University of Central Oklahoma campus and the first building dedicated to higher learning in Oklahoma, from 1-4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23, in front of the historic building, on the west side of Central’s campus. Docents will be available on each floor to answer questions, and cookies and refreshments will be available.

Feb. 17, 2017

Media Contact: Sarah Neese, Communications and Marketing Coordinator, UCO University Communications, 405-974-2121, sneese@uco.edu

UCO CELEBRATES REOPENING OF HISTORIC OLD NORTH WITH PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

Nearly 16 years after closing, Old North, the oldest building on the University of Central Oklahoma campus and the first building dedicated to higher learning in Oklahoma, is once again filled with eager students and engaged professors.

UCO will host a public open house for Old North from 1-4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23. Docents will be available on each floor to answer questions, and cookies and refreshments will be available.

“Old North is an important part of Central’s history, and we are thrilled to open its doors once again,” said UCO President Don Betz.

“The opportunity to connect with an instrumental part of Oklahoma’s higher education system is a privilege, and we are fortunate to be able to share that connection with the surrounding community.”

The construction of Old North began in 1891 with Gail Whitely, the architect who designed the building. Students first attended classes in the building in January of 1893, with construction on the wings and tower of the building completed in 1894. More than a century later, in 2001, Old North was closed for much-needed renovations.

Restoration and renovations spanned three phases. The first phase targeted an exterior restoration, while the second phase focused on the construction of a 17,000-square-foot addition to the building. The third phase resolved structural and interior problems, as well as incorporated new designs and elements to the structure’s interior. CMS Willowbrook served as construction manager on the project, and Miles Associates as the architect.

The total cost for the restoration and renovation totaled $14.4 million, with nearly $6 million in private donations raised for the final phase of Old North’s completion. The building, which now includes approximately 44,000 square feet, serves as office, classroom and gathering space for students, faculty and staff across campus. Old North also houses UCO’s Office of the President, Office of Public Affairs and Office of Student Affairs.

“As Central begins it 127th year as an institution of higher education, the opening of Old North symbolizes our efforts to remain a steadfast and vital part of the growth, development and success of our state,” Betz added.

With strong connections throughout the Oklahoma City metro, the University of Central Oklahoma is dedicated to developing in students the confidence to succeed through transformative learning experiences. Founded in 1890, Central connects its more than 17,000 students to unmatched value found in 117 undergraduate areas of study and 70 graduate programs from its main campus in Edmond and facilities throughout the metro area. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

For more information about how to connect to Central, visit www.uco.edu.

(end)

Editor’s Note: Download art associated with this release at www.media.uco.edu/press/OldNorthOpening02.17.

Cutline: The University of Central Oklahoma will host a public opening of Old North, the oldest building on the University of Central Oklahoma campus and the first building dedicated to higher learning in Oklahoma, from 1-4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23, in front of the historic building, on the west side of Central’s campus. Docents will be available on each floor to answer questions, and cookies and refreshments will be available.

I am by there all the time and know several people who either attend or work there. From what I hear and have witnessed, parking can be a real challenge.

Structured parking would be nice so the large lots can be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I am by there all the time and know several people who either attend or work there. From what I hear and have witnessed, parking can be a real challenge.
    I have spend a lot of time on a lot of college campuses. I have yet to visit one college where everyone didn't complain about parking. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Structured parking would be nice so the large lots can be developed.
    Agreed, and better yet if some mixed-use can be integrated. OU has slowly converted surface lots around the Norman campus to structured parking and then used the extra space for new construction.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Agreed, and better yet if some mixed-use can be integrated. OU has slowly converted surface lots around the Norman campus to structured parking and then used the extra space for new construction.
    I would love to see that.

My fantasy for this area is the housing directly to the east gets redeveloped, the parking lots are developed, structure parking is added, protected bike lanes are place throughout campus, and I'd love it if Edmond would invest in a streetcar to connect UCO and Downtown Edmond.

Rand Elliott would be better at being a sheetmetal artist or something. The problem with his buildings is they will most definitely not age well - they are niche architecture that is on the edge of being in style, it really will not take long for these types of designs to look extremely dated.

If a private developer wants to fund that fine -- but I think our colleges should use public funds to build buildings that fit with the current campus environment and use more neutral styles that will remain appealing to the eye for generations to come.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Rand Elliott would be better at being a sheetmetal artist or something. The problem with his buildings is they will most definitely not age well - they are niche architecture that is on the edge of being in style, it really will not take long for these types of designs to look extremely dated.

If a private developer wants to fund that fine -- but I think our colleges should use public funds to build buildings that fit with the current campus environment and use more neutral styles that will remain appealing to the eye for generations to come.
    Very well said, catch!

In fairness, the press release rendering might not be final. While walking around campus a few days ago I snapped the following pictures, and it looks significantly different on the construction sign. It might be a different angle though, I'm not 100% sure.

You can see the FSI building to the left in the rendering, so I think that view is from the same perspective more or less as where I was standing.

Also, a few Old North shots. I'm really pleased how this turned out.

Attached Images Attached Images

HangryHippo Guest

They have a nice architectural motif going on on campus. I don't know why the hell colleges always seem to think STEM buildings need look like futuristic pieces of ****. Along with brutalist libraries (or brutalist anything). Good lord, some things just need to die.

Thanks for the pictures David. Old North looks great!

UCO Athletics received a $13.5 million donation. New baseball park planned with the funds. Amazing few years of fund raising.

http://bronchosports.com/news/2017/6...-donation.aspx

New mechanical building and progress on the STEM building...

20170712_151800.jpg
    20170712_151327.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

HangryHippo Guest

That new STEM building is going to be ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That new STEM building is going to be ugly.
    Sometimes the beauty is on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I have spend a lot of time on a lot of college campuses. I have yet to visit one college where everyone didn't complain about parking. Lol.
    Agreed. As a former UCO student, I always saved time by automatically looking for parking in the farther out spaces rather than vulturing for the desirable spots. Kids need to adapt and quit bitching.

Thread Information