Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deercrest Marketplace

Far North Deercrest Marketplace

There is a lot of dirt moving at the NE corner of Memorial Road and Rockwell Avenue. Anybody know about the development?

Default Re: NE Corner of Memorial Road and Rockwell Avenue

I've been wondering about it as well. They put a light in for it on Rockwell when they widened the street a couple months back.

The is a big Planned Unit Development for that area... I posted about it elsewhere, but I'l have to locate it.

Lots of apartments, some office and a large retail center -- all conceptual.

It surprises me that Oklahoma City keeps allowing apartment complexes to be built. There needs to be a move for more home ownership. There are hundreds of vacant houses across the metro that could be filled.

For every complex built, another complex dies and you have the problems we see up down NW 10th and on Lyrewood Lane. The good tenants leave, the troublemakers move in. Eventually the complex closes and its fair game for squatters and arsonists.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    It surprises me that Oklahoma City keeps allowing apartment complexes to be built. There needs to be a move for more home ownership. There are hundreds of vacant houses across the metro that could be filled.

For every complex built, another complex dies and you have the problems we see up down NW 10th and on Lyrewood Lane. The good tenants leave, the troublemakers move in. Eventually the complex closes and its fair game for squatters and arsonists.
    That's pretty much the cycle everywhere. Most of the time it can be blamed on poor management. Older apartment complexes can remain nice and desireable if they are kept up. Apartments and home ownership are different markets. People wanting to rent an apartment aren't going to decide to buy a house just because they build more houses, and people who want to by a house aren't going to rent just because an apartment complex is being built.

Here is the conceptual plan for that corner:

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post

That is called sprawl and the last time we had a national movement to promote home ownership it damn near collapsed the country. The reality is that 99% of the people aren't prepared to be homeowners. They don't have the time, resources, know-how, desire, and financial ability to properly maintain a home. That is why people constantly buy new ones instead of making repairs to their current homes. The new people move in and they lack the same things the first owner lacked and the house falls deeper into disrepair. Then this cycle repeats for 60 years.

It's just ingrained in people's heads here to own a home one day. I love apartment/condo life especially if you can find a good rate and/or a great management team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It's just ingrained in people's heads here to own a home one day. I love apartment/condo life especially if you can find a good rate and/or a great management team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely agree. I have taken a lot of flack for saying this but its the OKC way, ingrained very deep in the culture here, to own a home with a big yard in the suburbs. Because of that, suburbia will likely always dominate the OKC metro. That's not to say high-density living won't become more prevalent because it will, but it will probably never be the dominant way of life here.

You do know that every metropolitan area in the country has the majority of it's population in the suburbs, don't you? Your beloved Charlotte has 700k in Charlotte proper and 2.4 in the metro, meaning 1.7 million people in Charlotte metro live in the suburbs or 71% of the MSA. You get flack for saying it because that's all you discuss. Shut up about it already.

I remember the PUD from a few years ago, but the downturn stalled everything. Is anybody attached to this project yet or are they just moving dirt? Heard a lot of rumors the first time around given the proximity to Gaillardia and so many roof tops.

Is Bchirs02 really a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown12713 View Post
    Is Bchirs02 really a troll?
    If stating obvious facts like OKC being suburban means I am a troll, then I guess that's what I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If stating obvious facts like OKC being suburban means I am a troll, then I guess that's what I am.
    The only post I've ever seen from Naptown is that right there. So it would seem to me Naptown is nothing but a troll; I wouldn't mind any attention to him.

I have noticed they are starting the dirt work on this development. Can anyone confirm this project is underway? Are there any tenants secured yet?

Any update to this corner? I noticed there is constant dirt work going on and it appears they are about to put in water and sewer lines in the big lot on the NE corner of this intersection where they put in the red light a year ago (still not turned on).

Two apartment complexes have now opened and two residential communities just opened just off rockwell between memorial and 150th. Seems like this area is about to get developed.

I'm a bit late on replying to an earlier post on home ownership. Sure some like condo/apt life, others want there "large" suberbia lot, and don't forget that there are a few of us want to be fairly close in and still have our large gardens and animals as in chickens and horses. We define large lot a bit differently at like 5 or more ac. I have to laugh at the large one ac lot. My garden area that is fenced is larger then a lot of large lots.

Any update on this? Still lots of dirt work going on here and you can see the layout matches what Pete posted April 2014.

I talked to the developers and they didn't seem to have any anchor tenants lined up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I talked to the developers and they didn't seem to have any anchor tenants lined up yet.
    That explains the snail pace that this is moving.
    Just wonder why the city widened the first half mile north of memorial and added the light so fast.

Blog Entries

They have been doing a lot of work along Memorial side as well - looks like utility work but not sure. Right lane near Rockwell has been partiall closed down on and off for several days.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    That explains the snail pace that this is moving.
    Just wonder why the city widened the first half mile north of memorial and added the light so fast.
    I suspect the developers chipped in for part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    They have been doing a lot of work along Memorial side as well - looks like utility work but not sure. Right lane near Rockwell has been partiall closed down on and off for several days.
    laid the waterline for the development along Memorial. The sewerline goes out the back (east) side of the property and runs North through that field of yellow flowers and then heads east down 150th to tie in to a manhole over there.

Blog Entries

That field of yellow flower is canola!

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    That field of yellow flower is canola!
    I had no idea, looks really pretty for a month or so.

Thread Information