Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Deercrest Marketplace

Default Re: Deer Crest

A new exit for paycom is going to exit just north of the shores apartments on to Rockwell

Back to Deer Crest, I just looked and Walmart did buy the parcel for their proposed store.

18 acres for just over $4 million in April of 2017.

BD Eddie still owns all the other land, including the parcels fronting Memorial and Rockwell.

Multiple Locations Re: Deer Crest

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    that is some gross exaggeration there... i drive this section of road every weekday... and most of the drivers are not a problem.. it's a congestion issue
    I work at Farmers and my wife works at Paycom, I stand by my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Back to Deer Crest, I just looked and Walmart did buy the parcel for their proposed store.

BD Eddie still owns all the other land, including the parcels fronting Memorial and Rockwell.
    The land on opposite side (west side between Rockwell and Paycom), any idea of plans?

I recall back in 2007/8 a sign was up for a Warren theater to be built and when economy tanked it was shelved.

^

Warren was once proposed to the east of Walmart in this same development.

They also looked at the southwest corner of Memorial and MacArthur.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    The traffic at this intersection in the morning and afternoon is crazy - especially morning. Cars exiting off the turnpike traveling west try to merge to the right and many cars on memorial try to get left to go to Farmers. It's a madhouse.
    I emailed the city regarding the lights at this intersection and they stated that they are running on timers and not sensors due to OGE hitting the conduit lines when putting in a power line pole last summer. They are waiting on reimbursement and repair.

I would assume this is why this intersection is backing up so badly. It isn’t timed for rush hour and can’t determine when it’s backed up and needs to run the cycles longer

Also, seems like a long time to sort this out for repair and reimbursement. It’s been 6 months since summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I emailed the city regarding the lights at this intersection and they stated that they are running on timers and not sensors due to OGE hitting the conduit lines when putting in a power line pole last summer. They are waiting on reimbursement and repair.

I would assume this is why this intersection is backing up so badly. It isn’t timed for rush hour and can’t determine when it’s backed up and needs to run the cycles longer

Also, seems like a long time to sort this out for repair and reimbursement. It’s been 6 months since summer.
    The city should just fix it and deal with OG&E behind the scenes afterwards, it's just completely stupid to screw everybody driving through that intersection for this long while they squabble.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The city should just fix it and deal with OG&E behind the scenes afterwards, it's just completely stupid to screw everybody driving through that intersection for this long while they squabble.
    Asked the city this same thing. The incident occurred in June.
    Yet we are dealing with it with nothing changed on it 9 months later

Maybe we need to put more pressure on the city to get this resolved especially before the new. Paycom road opens north on rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    The land on opposite side (west side between Rockwell and Paycom), any idea of plans?

I recall back in 2007/8 a sign was up for a Warren theater to be built and when economy tanked it was shelved.
    Based on this planning meeting item that was approved in November, they are going to develop it into mixed use with 23 office and commercial lots available. I've noticed some utility work going on in this area, but not sure who the utility contractor is. Could be nothing or it could be the start of something developing out there.

https://agenda.okc.gov/sirepub/cache...9100859327.PDF

I noticed today there were surveyors our and it appears all the lots and roads are marked so it appears they might be about to move forward with this deer crest development

I noticed today there were surveyors our and it appears all the lots and roads are marked so it appears they might be about to move forward with this deer crest development
    More earth moving equipment arrived today they are definitely starting on. The roads for this development now.

Appears this must finally be moving forward.

More earth moving equipment arrived today they are definitely starting on. The roads for this development now.

Appears this must finally be moving forward.
    This is going to creat another huge traffic nightmare just like back east around Western and May and Penn corridor. And like Costco there is an entrance/exit to Memorial road which is going to be stacked with traffic stopped at Rockwell light. Its not just a Wal Mart its a whole commercial complex. Memorial needs to be 3-4 lanes for those areas not just at the light.

If there is a bright side, a second Walmart will spread traffic out a little.

There is a good amount of dirt work being done at this site right now, not sure what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    There is a good amount of dirt work being done at this site right now, not sure what they are doing.
    Putting in the roads for the development.

Speaking of which. Why did the city allow them a street right at the Kilpatrick tollbooth exit. Cars will immediately go thru toll and then try to cut a sharp right turn to get into the development just like at penn and memorial. It’s like we never learn from our mistakes

From today.

Roads are going in. Walmart bought the large parcel more or less of the middle of this development (just to the left of the new n/s street) but has not applied for building permits.

Thanks Pete. Nice shot. Any speculation on whether they will go ahead and not only build out those individual retail sites but actually get tenants in them before WalMart does their thing?

Interesting that in the original concept they were envisioning higher-end retailers like a Nordstroms or Barney's, etc due to some study by BD Eddie showing the higher-end income Deer Creek/Gallairdia demographic would support that, and then it ends up becoming a WalMart. Maybe the whole retail brick & mortar model being turned upside down by the digital economy altered that thinking. Could even be why WM is taking it's time to determine how to best leverage what they'll do there - they apparently are creating entirely new concepts for floorplans in some markets vs. copying the "all stores the same' model. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Executionist View Post
    Thanks Pete. Nice shot. Any speculation on whether they will go ahead and not only build out those individual retail sites but actually get tenants in them before WalMart does their thing?
    I don't think so.

I'm sure Walmart will build but they are obviously in no hurry.

I'm not a retail expert, but it seems that the area around Nichols Hills Plaza/Classen Curve, 63rd & Grand, down through Penn Square and the new development at NWE/Penn presents the singular true example of Oklahoma City finally organizing itself in such a way as to support that level of high end retail. If we ever get a Nordstrom (I could see it happening) or a Barney's (LOL) it will be in that area and that's probably appropriate. Almost no towns of OKC's size have more than one truly upscale shopping area.

Having said that, I do think it's underwhelming that this will become a Wal-Mart. I thought with Val Verde/Mercy Hospital area/upscale offices along Memorial/Gallardia, this area looked to have the potential to be a nice higher-end area. I predict $200K starter tract homes will eventually ring this development and it will leave Gaillardia an island, much in the same way that the rest of OKC has developed. I fully realize there's a limit to high-end and an infinite supply of Wal-Marters but it just seems that OKC always organizes this way.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I'm not a retail expert, but it seems that the area around Nichols Hills Plaza/Classen Curve, 63rd & Grand, down through Penn Square and the new development at NWE/Penn presents the singular true example of Oklahoma City finally organizing itself in such a way as to support that level of high end retail. If we ever get a Nordstrom (I could see it happening) or a Barney's (LOL) it will be in that area and that's probably appropriate. Almost no towns of OKC's size have more than one truly upscale shopping area.

Having said that, I do think it's underwhelming that this will become a Wal-Mart. I thought with Val Verde/Mercy Hospital area/upscale offices along Memorial/Gallardia, this area looked to have the potential to be a nice higher-end area. I predict $200K starter tract homes will eventually ring this development and it will leave Gaillardia an island, much in the same way that the rest of OKC has developed. I fully realize there's a limit to high-end and an infinite supply of Wal-Marters but it just seems that OKC always organizes this way.
    It's not OKC, per se, organizing a certain way. OKC tends to be very pro-market forces, probably to the city's detriment in plenty of cases. In this case, those who invested in Gaillardia did so believing the market would support a higher end living experience in the area Gaillardia was built. They achieved some degree of that and to be sure there are several other higher end neighborhoods in the general area that have helped create a more sustainable live/work/play area of OKC (as compared to the Bethanies, Blue Stems, etc.) But if they thought that they would attract places like Nordstrom's, they neither paid enough attention to the way OKC suburbs developed from the 60s through the 90s, nor realized that oil wealth is great for those who get in, but for those who don't the $200k+ family income gigs that could support more $400k+ homes are just not as common. They also didn't pay attention to other big time cities ramping up the gentrification process in the late 80s early 90s that would eventually make its way here and steal back some of the money that was traditionally going to the suburbs.

So, someone told me today Walmart is on hold. Seems work has stalled too. Any updates?

And I read a National article recently where WalMart did a study and realized they were chasing their own customers when building new stores. I wonder if they changed their mind? They could afford to back out moreso than other companies so I wonder if anything new has changed this? I would love for it to not be a WalMart so it may be wishful thinking.

No issue if its business park, but hoping Walmart backs out.

So, someone told me today Walmart is on hold. Seems work has stalled too. Any updates?

And I read a National article recently where WalMart did a study and realized they were chasing their own customers when building new stores. I wonder if they changed their mind? They could afford to back out moreso than other companies so I wonder if anything new has changed this? I would love for it to not be a WalMart so it may be wishful thinking.

I think the Moore , south OKC area is a good example of Walmart overbuilding. There are two neigborhood markets alone between Santa Fe and May on 134th st.

Of course, I think Walmart will eventually build the Deer Crest Store, but they may wait for growth in the area to catch up. Not to mention I'm sure they are a little concerned about economic political events between the US and China.

Walmart owns their land. I suspect they are just taking their time.

Walmart owns their land. I suspect they are just taking their time.
    Probably. But since they own we won’t really know until enough time goes by with them not building. My source is someone who does work related to construction building. Time will tell.

Probably. But since they own we won’t really know until enough time goes by with them not building. My source is someone who does work related to construction building. Time will tell.
    I was actually agreeing with you. They obtained all the necessary approvals some time ago and bought the land, but has done nothing since.

I suspect they are in a holding pattern, although I'm sure the developer is trying to push them along so they can develop the rest of the property around it.

Thread Information