Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

Default World Cup 2014

Can't wait!

Default Re: World Cup 2014

I'm excited, too. I'll be in Dallas for the opening weekend, but I've already found places to sit on Saturday to catch some games...

When I first saw that a couple weeks ago, I probably watched it ten times in a row. Get chills every time.

HangryHippo Guest

Can't wait for Brazil!

So looking forward to it!

6. Default Re: World Cup 2014

I wish we could all learn this chant before the world cup, but I think it's just too long.

My first World Cup was late in the game. It was 2006, about a year after I moved to Taipei. A lot of the expats were meeting a various pubs and sports bars with flags and jerseys of their home countries. I remember not caring about football, but hearing all month about how the Americans were going to get slaughtered. I had enough of that talk, so I bought a red, white, and blue jersey and made a point to head to a bar to watch the match against Italy. A 9-man team went on to tie the Italians 1-1. I could not believe how insanely hard I celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    My first World Cup was late in the game. It was 2006, about a year after I moved to Taipei. A lot of the expats were meeting a various pubs and sports bars with flags and jerseys of their home countries. I remember not caring about football, but hearing all month about how the Americans were going to get slaughtered. I had enough of that talk, so I bought a red, white, and blue jersey and made a point to head to a bar to watch the match against Italy. A 9-man team went on to tie the Italians 1-1. I could not believe how insanely hard I celebrated.
    That was such an incredible game, we were absolutely jobbed in that game with those calls. McBride was such a warrior.

9. Default Re: World Cup 2014

No Donovan in the squad, I have mixed feelings about this

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/...863296/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by elitespy View Post
    No Donovan in the squad, I have mixed feelings about this

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/...863296/photo/1
    Same here - definitely a changing of the guard beginning.

FIFA WORLD CUP FANS: SURVIVAL TIPS

Sao Paolo police advice to FIFA World Cup fans “Don’t scream.”

Telling soccer fans not to scream is like telling the Marlboro Man to quit smoking, Elvis not to gyrate, Miley Cyrus not to twerk. Soccer fans are born to scream. But, in this case in picturesque Sao Paolo, not screaming could save your life… while you’re getting mugged, which may happen, make that more than likely will happen… by Brazilian robbers.

The Sao Paolo police printed a brochure painting a picture of city life in Sao Paolo… you get robbed, you keep your mouth shut, you live. You go all crazy, scream at your muggers, as many have, then the muggers get hot tempered and shoot you. In other words, there’s not a policeman on every corner, so don’t expect them come to your rescue. It says so in their brochure.

You know what else it should say in their brochure? Don’t come. Don’t get robbed. Don’t get trampled by hundreds of thousands of protestors. Protestors are not happy so much money is being spent on unfinished stadiums instead of social services. Don’t come to the half built stadiums where you may or may not get a ticket depending on how many seats are installed by match time. And if you do come, don’t walk around with fancy watches and bulging wallets. Also, don’t hit on the beautiful half dressed women on the streets, fantastically beautiful but also more than likely to be men… who will rob you.

In less than two weeks three million six hundred thousand fans will descend upon Sao Paolo for the FIFA World Cup, two hundred thousand of these from the USA. Here are some other things that may or may not be in the brochure: Travel in groups (we suggest 75), carry mugger money. Be ready to empty your pockets and have enough cash so the mugger doesn’t get mad. In other words, don’t insult him with petty cash. You can be just as dead by being too cheap as you can by being too loud. Never say the Brazilian soccer team stinks. In fact, it wouldn’t hurt to know the team song as well as the Brazilian anthem, and know how to hum them. Always be mindful your mugger is probably a soccer fan, a fervent one at that.

If your mugger wants you to play a game of hacky sack or juggle soccer balls, be ready to do so. Don’t insult his juggling ability, even if he’s lousy. Tell him he’s the best soccer juggler you’ve seen today and on top of the money he’s robbing from you, you’re going to give him a tip. It is best to tell your mugger in Portuguese but when you compliment him in their language try not to over accentuate the trills and the lilt. If you mention his gun, and you remark on the pearl handle, don’t ask where he got it.
    We want to emphasize the part about not insulting the Brazilian soccer team. Fans in that country are very feverish about their teams. You may have heard about the Brazilian referee who got in a fight with a player, knifed the player then ended up stoned to death, drawn-and-quartered with his head on a stake. Two things to remember: Brazilian fans are very serious about their soccer. Brazilian muggers don’t like to be yelled at.

Other things to remember: Brazilians loved to be kissed on both cheeks. The best and most beautiful bananas in the world are from Brazil. Don’t tell your mugger his nose or any other appendage looks like a banana… no matter how pretty it is. And don’t forget to kiss your mugger… on both cheeks.

Another thing to remember: Don’t go.

On a related note, Olympic preparations are going so bad in Rio that the IOC has asked London to begin preparing to host the games as a backup.

13. Default Re: World Cup 2014

The biggest sporting event in the world is just a few days away and nobody is talking about it. Who is gonna win this year??

Come on people get excited.

We have lots of soccer fans here....

Brasil I suppose is the favorite but you always have Spain, France, England, Itlay, Germany and Argentina as contenders.

We can complain about the USA being in the group of death but it's only because we haven't proven ourselves on the global stage and therefore will always be lumped in with at least two teams that are considered better.

Hope we do well... Will be a blast to watch.

I, personally, have no dog in the World Cup fight, but I am reading that a lot of WC sponsors are getting a bid edge over a purported match fixing scandal emerging from the World Cup..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sp...world-cup.html

16. Default Re: World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I, personally, have no dog in the World Cup fight, but I am reading that a lot of WC sponsors are getting a bid edge over a purported match fixing scandal emerging from the World Cup..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sp...world-cup.html
    What do you mean no dog in the fight?? Are you a citizen of the United States?? If so you have a dog in the fight, lol.

Personally I think Germany will win it, they are looking pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We have lots of soccer fans here....

Brasil I suppose is the favorite but you always have Spain, France, England, Itlay, Germany and Argentina as contenders.

We can complain about the USA being in the group of death but it's only because we haven't proven ourselves on the global stage and therefore will always be lumped in with at least two teams that are considered better.

Hope we do well... Will be a blast to watch.
    No, we are in a group of death not because we haven't proven ourselves, but because we have two legitimate contenders to win it all and a team who seems to have our number. Had we drawn group C or F, you wouldn't hear anything like that.

The US is ranked 13th in the world. Won the Gold Cup last year. Consistently put up good results against the best teams the world. We've definitely proved ourselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Just meant we didn't earn a top 8 seed and therefore were guaranteed to be in a group with 1) one of the top 8 seeds; 2) one of the teams from Europe; and 3) an African team.

When you aren't seeded or qualified through Europe, your draw is always going to be murderous.

WARNING: LANGUAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just meant we didn't earn a top 8 seed and therefore were guaranteed to be in a group with 1) one of the top 8 seeds; 2) one of the teams from Europe; and 3) an African team.

When you aren't seeded or qualified through Europe, your draw is always going to be murderous.
    We are in a group with 2 of the teams currently ranked in the top 8. #2 and #4 to be exact. Portugal was ranked #14 at the time the groups were chosen, but is now ranked #4. So, #2, #4 and #13 all in one group. That's rough.

21. Default Re: World Cup 2014

If anyone is looking for a place to watch the USA matches, go to Skinny Slim's in Bricktown.

They have a good section of the parking lot out back zoned off. There will be a large projection screen with audio around/under the bridge. Beer, food and clothing vendors will be set up for all 3 USA matches. Giveaways to the first ~500 or so guests on Monday.

My company, MENT Apparel, will be set up and selling our USA Collection that is raising money for Fields & Futures. You can see it all at MENT Apparel

It's going to be one of the biggest watch parties in the state, if not the biggest!

Schedule of events.....(wanted an easy clickable link)

The matches of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? - FIFA.com

Brazil was fortunate to win today.

I've been trading emails with my good friend from England who got me interested in soccer about 20 years ago.

He sent me a link to this video, which takes the pi$$ out of Americans and "football":

All I can say is, thank gosh for Univision, since I don't have ESPN.

The Dutch are up 3-1 against holders Spain.

And the one Spanish goal was on a very dubious penalty.

Thread Information