Widgets Magazine

Thread: Choctaw School System

Default Choctaw School System

Thinking about moving to the east side of Midwest City but will be in the Choctaw School System. With a son that will be entering elementary school in a couple of years, I would like to know the perception of Choctaw schools. How do they fare against other metro schools academically and are they getting better or worse?

Default Re: Choctaw School System

I hear Westfall elementary is top notch. Not sure about the high school.

Default Re: Choctaw School System

Quote Originally Posted by Prunesmoothie View Post
    Thinking about moving to the east side of Midwest City but will be in the Choctaw School System. With a son that will be entering elementary school in a couple of years, I would like to know the perception of Choctaw schools. How do they fare against other metro schools academically and are they getting better or worse?
    My wife works in Mid-Del Schools. I know a lot of people with money move to a section of Choctaw that uses mid-del schools. Cant remember the exact area. If you can get into a few of the elem schools in Mid Del on the choctaw side of the town, you'll feed up through Carl Albert, and go through nothing but A schools. Haven't heard a ton of good or bad about Choctaw, but you can always pull the A-F grades from the state website.

The grades don't tell the whole story, but they are a good indication. Just remember, if you don't work with your kids outside of school, they will probably test lower. Some schools get bad grades simply because there is no parent involvement which can set kids back.

4. Default Re: Choctaw School System

Choctaw is definitely not the school system it once was, and that's a good thing. We've seen several friends and family go through there over the last 20 years, and the current Choctaw system does a MUCH better job of identifying and working with students that have issues or are falling behind. There is a better recent focus on infrastructure in the district to keep the facilities from falling apart (like they used to). In general, i'd probably send my kids to Choctaw before Carl Albert so you're free of Mid-Del.

As OSU said, the state grade doesn't tell the whole story. Just because you get an A, doesn't mean the school is the cat's meow, and just because you get a B, doesn't mean you're doing a bad job either.

Thread Information