Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

Default Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

We just bought a house at Deerfield Estates at I-40 and Choctaw Road and our Real Estate agent told us that Love's just bought the Anderson Travel Plaza on the South Side of I-40. I went out there yesterday and saw a back hoe breaking the concrete in the parking lot. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I know the Oklahoma DOT is going to tear out and rebuild the Choctaw Road interchange and widen I-40 to six lanes all the way out to the county line.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything about Love's rebuilding on the South side of the freeway.

Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

Had not, but it would be nice to see for my SiL's family, who live not far from there.

The old Love's location was horrid, and not rebuilding there is a solid call.

That seems possible. I have a friend who is your new neighbor it sounds like. He also lives in Deerfield. I talked to him a few weeks back and he said at that time that Loves had bought the land straight west of the old location and planned to build on it, and that the folks who owned anderson travel plaza were supposed to be starting on rebuilding it this month. Im not sure what his source was, but you might be correct. Either way, I am ready for someone to get something built on atleast one of those lots or clean them up. They look horrible every time I turn off the road to come home.

4. Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

The old lot on the north side of I-40 has been sold. From the assesor's website:

ACCOUNTNO: R144208000
    ACCTTYPE: Commercial
    MAPNUMBER: 1299
    TAXDISTRICT: 204
    BUSINESSNAME: UNOCC (FORMERLY LOVES)

The plot for the old plaza on the south side has NOT changed owners though. It's value, however, has significantly been reduces (duh, there isn't a struture there anymore). GIS Map for this plot

So to me, it looks like the old plaza is rebuilding and Love's has abandoned the area. Maybe they'll be an update posted on the assesor's page soon that changes that....

Love's has not abandoned the area. My wife's uncle is an executive and he told me a few weeks ago they were just waiting on ODOT to make their decisions on the interchange. They didn't own their old lot and it was too small for what they wanted to do anyway. It may not be as quick as many want, but he made it very clear they would be back.

If you look at ODOT's timeline on this page...

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8..._okc_metro.pdf

You see they are going to be acquiring right of way and utility movement in FY12. They will be reconstructing the interchange and adding lanes in FY15. If you look at this PowerPoint on their page... http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meeti...aring_rev8.ppt
    You can see they are going to remove the loops for the exits. The West bound off ramp will be going right through the Love's property. Also they are going to widen I-40 to six lanes from the I-240 merge to the county line from FY16 through FY18.

Also if you look at Proposition 1 of the 2007 bond election that passed overwhelmingly you will see that the city plans to widen Choctaw Road to four lanes from SE 44th down to SE 89th Street. You can read about that here... http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/BondSec...201%20(STREETS)

I am curious how you searched for the Anderson Travel Plaza on the County Assessor's page. Their address was 7501 S Choctaw Road. When I look up that address, it gives me an error every time. Is there another way to search for a piece of land?

Thanks

7. Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

Well if Love's doesn't own any land out there, it's going to cost them to come back for sure. Looks like the other plaza is going to be well established by the time Love's gets something going, although I don't blame them for not wanting to do anything in the middle of construction.

plm - I almost never look things up by address...their search engine kinda stinks. I usually just zoom manually to the area and plot it out. You can always compare where you are to a google map since the assesor's page doesn't show roads until you're pretty close in.

Yesterday around 7:00 PM I was driving around in the old parking lot of the Anderson Travel Plaza when a pickup pulled up to me and asked me if I needed any help. I told him that I just bought a house behind here and was looking to see if they were going to be building again. The guy told me that they were indeed rebuilding soon and I asked him if it was still going to be the Anderson Travel Plaza or Love's. He told me that it was going to be a Thunder Plaza. I went home and got online to see if I could find any mention of Thunder Plaza or ANYTHING about this property and I could find nothing.

I am not sure if the guy was just telling me something to get me to leave or if there is anything to his story. My gut tells me that most people do not hire security guards for abandoned properties that have no structure on them. His very presence makes me think that he is telling me the truth. I know this is not much news but it is something.

9. Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

It could just be the name they are giving it instead of Anderson Travel Plaza. It's not like the previous place was a large corporate name. They could call it spaghetti stop central if they wanted.

Anderson never made sense being its not on Anderson, to me anyway. Dont care if Loves reopens or not, would be nice if they did, but I have certainly learned to live without it after this kind of time has passed. But, I think it is completely wrong that they havent cleaned the lot or the sign up. That is disrespectful of the people who are proud of living in Choctaw. That sign barely hung up there for a long time before something was done, and still today you see trash, concrete, parts of the awning laying on the ground. I dont ask you to rebuild, but please clean up your mess. I am ashamed to tell people to exit there to come to my house. Wouldnt be a big deal if it had just happened, but really how long do you leave it there. Tell your executive friend that I am sure I will buy gas when they reopen, but I havent stopped in a Loves since that happened due to how they left the property (not that it hurt their business).

I would like to see the places cleaned or rebuilt either way do something. As for a security guard, I have never seen one their, but then again I dont drive around the vacant lot. As for construction starting soon, that sign has said that for a year. Guess it depends on what you define soon as. Loves must define it as FY 2018 it seems.

I just did some research and found that it is not Love's that is rebuilding now. I searched for building permits and someone from Broken Arrow applied to build at the site of the Anderson Travel Plaza. This application was submitted 22 June 2011 and received 28 June. The Love's property is being taken over by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation and will soon be on off ramp to I-40 West bound. I am hearing that Love's will rebuild but they are going to have to relocate a little because the new 6 lane I-40 and off ramp will go right through the property. The park and ride will be moved behind and to the South side of the Sonic. Choctaw Road will be widened to four lanes plus a turn lane where I-40 is.

Applicant:
    RANDY ALLEY
    RANDY ALLEY
    6828 S 223RD E. AVE
    BROKEN ARROW, OK, 74014
    Home Phone:
    918-798-8847
    Fax:
    918-258-8908
    alleydd@windstream.net
    OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73020
    Description:
    TORNADO REBUILT - CONVIENENCE STORE
    Owner:
    333 CHOCTAW RD
    More Details

Additional Information
    Housing Units:
    Number of Buildings:
    Public Owned:
    No

Application Information

BUILDING
    Permission To: Erect
    Number of Stories: 1
    Overall Height: 27
    Square Footage: 13000
    Existing Use: VACANT
    Proposed Use Code: Shell Building
    Land Use Code: 8300.63
    Zoning: C-4

If and when Love's rebuilds it will be on the west side of Choctaw road a little bit further north.

13. Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

Why would they want to move further North? I-40 isn't moving so that would just put them further away from the interstate....seems sort of silly for a travel stop.

Thats the location I was told also. Basically just northwest of the old one. Guess we will see in a few years.

I see that Oklahoma City has just issued four building permits on 8/9/2011 for the old Anderson Travel Plaza location under the name Thunder Travel Center. Also about the Loves. The old lot is owned by WHITE J DONALD TRS and you can see it here... http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...TNO=R144208000

The new I-40 interchange will go right through the property. I was on a department of Transportation document that said a suitable place for them to relocate due to the upcoming I-40 widening project is across the street and shows the lot. This document was from 2008. Now I looked up that property across the street and it was purchased by WHITE J DONALD TRS in February of this year. You can see it here... http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...TNO=R144218000

Last night I heard a lot of loud noise behind my house and I went to see what it was. It was the former Anderson Travel Plaza parking lot being removed by a back hoe. Maybe things are finally moving.

Until the interchange is upgraded and rebuilt by ODOT it really is speculation as to what will happen. Relatives who live in the edition behind the old truck stop have been told by the developers that it will be rebuilt as soon as the roadway is upgraded.

We also live behind Anderson's and are very concerned that Love's and Anderson's will be expanded which has the potential for turning our interchange into another I-40 and Morgan Road. Actually we would like to see a nice Braum's or something that does not include the noise and traffic hassles of trucks as well as the security issues that have been an issue in the past.
    I looked up the four building permits
    • 2900sq ft - code 8300.36 - Eating Establishments: Fast Food, with Drive-Thru Order Window
    • 1432sq ft - code 8300.5 - Alcoholic Beverage Retail Sales
    • 1235 sq ft - 8300.63 - Retail Sales and Services: General
    • 6720sq ft - 8300.47 - Gasoline Sales: Truck Stops

Does anyone know if they need a special permit to allow the trucks to be parked overnight or does 8300.47 cover that?

Also if they move the park and ride south of Sonic, will they be using some of school commission land. I thought that pasture area was sold or has a long term lease to a private owner. Looking at the property bought by Donald White, it appears that it is zoned residential.

The property is not going to be any larger because it cannot be due to surrounding properties. Since the East bound off ram will be cutting right along the North edge of their parking lot, they will be cramped for space. You can see the diagram on this PowerPoint... http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meeti...aring_rev8.ppt.

In fact, once Choctaw Road is widened, it will take away part of the front of the property. I noticed that Oklahoma City has already solicited consultants for the widening of Choctaw Road from SE 59th to 71st. You can read it here...

http://www.okc.gov/pw/pdf/notice/pc-...33_435_436.pdf

They have already done the study for SE 44th to SE 59th. The next section will be SE 74th to SE 89th. The DOT will be doing the widening from SE 71st to SE 74th in conjunction with the I-40 widening project. It looks like the truck stop parking lot is almost completely cleared. Yesterday when I went to work, I saw a semi parked and sleeping at the entrance of Deerfield Estates between SE 78th and SE 79th because he could not get into the truck stop parking lot like before.

It will not be able to be enlarged but due to the rebuilding of the interchange it is obvious that traffic volume will increase. Pretty simple math actually.

I have lived in the city my whole life. I say bring it on I know, I know, People moved out here to escape the traffic. Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before this area fills in like the rest of the city. This area is so pretty it is surprising to me that it has taken this long for people to recognize what a gold mine the East side is.

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj View Post
    I have lived in the city my whole life. I say bring it on I know, I know, People moved out here to escape the traffic. Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before this area fills in like the rest of the city. This area is so pretty it is surprising to me that it has taken this long for people to recognize what a gold mine the East side is.
    PL, I kknow what ya mean as to that addition and its bueaty.
    True story about where your development is and the location of the loves.
    My grand pa owned that 1/4 section through the mid 30's. Had a farm out there. My mom used to pick apples from an old orchard over by the creek. Grandpa was also a rum runner.
    He took a load into OKC and got into a card game at the old silver dollar saloon.
    He lost the farm on that card game......................Mom STILL gets very aggitated when she drives on I40 at Choctaw................oh well

I am so glad to find this board! I live in the area and have been wondering if anything was planned for the Love's and Anderson's properties. So very glad to know there are plans underway. I know some folks are concerned about a large truck stop but I would remind them EVERYTHING they depend on to have a decent life comes to us on those trucks and the drivers deserve our respect and a place where they can safely rest. Hope it's a first class place!

I think anything is better than the half torn up lots I have been looking at everytime I drive by. Feel bad everytime I give someone directions to my house and have to tell them to exit at the pile of concrete that used to be gas stations. Its time to build something folks, anything.

I live in Deerfield as well. Love the neighborhood. I miss Andersons. It wasnt the best. I would much prefer an on cue but I really liked having the convenience.
    It seems like there may be several of us who live there who use okc talk. I would like to start a neighborhood group to talk about our concerns and thoughts. For example we really need to see what can be done about the bums who hang out and beg on the off ramp. Yhere are also reports of a bobcat taking small pets. Lets see what we can do to get our own neighborhood group or page. Who here would be interested?

I am willing to join. I know that OKCTalk.com also has a Facebook page for when this site is down for maintenance. That may work as well.

Thread Information