Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Road Construction in Moore

Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

How big does Moore have to get to be considered successful? How large a population..... how many restaurants..... how much traffic congestion..... how much noise pollution..... before we all sit back and say we did it; we're now considered a great city? This used to be a quiet little town with one high school and one main shopping district on I-35 with very little traffic a great quality of life. The first time I visited my neighborhood which is directly East of SouthMoore high school, Santa Fe was still a gravel road. There were two, 4-way stop signs on 19th street between I-35 and Santa Fe and you rarely had to wait to go through the intersections. Property and sales taxes were reasonable. Housing costs were a bargain. So what if you had to drive to Norman or South OKC to visit a certain restaurant or retail store. And now? Well..... I'll sure be glad when Moore finishes becoming successful.

Moore's development and population will soon max out. Unlike other cities, Moore does not have a lot of area to expand, they are surround by OKC to the North, East, West, and Norman to the South. Moore is just your typical suburban bedroom community. They will soon be no more room to add housing, big box retailers, etc. I believe Moore's population will cap out around 75,000, and development will come to a halt once south of 19th street is built up to Indian Hills Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Moore's development and population will soon max out. Unlike other cities, Moore does not have a lot of area to expand, they are surround by OKC to the North, East, West, and Norman to the South. Moore is just your typical suburban bedroom community. They will soon be no more room to add housing, big box retailers, etc. I believe Moore's population will cap out around 75,000, and development will come to a halt once south of 19th street is built up to Indian Hills Rd.
    I thought that too, but Moore actually has a little bit more room to expand. Once it reaches critical mass, if the interest is still there, you will then see older, run down neighborhoods start to be torn down and new, higher density redevelopment take place.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    How big does Moore have to get to be considered successful? How large a population..... how many restaurants..... how much traffic congestion..... how much noise pollution..... before we all sit back and say we did it; we're now considered a great city? This used to be a quiet little town with one high school and one main shopping district on I-35 with very little traffic a great quality of life. The first time I visited my neighborhood which is directly East of SouthMoore high school, Santa Fe was still a gravel road. There were two, 4-way stop signs on 19th street between I-35 and Santa Fe and you rarely had to wait to go through the intersections. Property and sales taxes were reasonable. Housing costs were a bargain. So what if you had to drive to Norman or South OKC to visit a certain restaurant or retail store. And now? Well..... I'll sure be glad when Moore finishes becoming successful.
    Well the only constant in life is change LOL. I'm sure we could all get nostalgic for how things used to be back in the day. OKC metro in general is growing at a good pace so what you said could be applied to any city within the immediate urban area.

As far as Moore is concerned, I applaud their leadership in getting businesses but I think the jury is still out on whether this is all sustainable. Growth for growth's sake is fine if you're a tumor.

We only need to look at Midwest City or Warr Acres to know suburbs cycle, particularly those like Moore with an abundance of "starter homes." If you look at the most successful suburbs in this area--Norman and Edmond--they have similar characteristics of good schools, diversified tax base, and some level of white collar employment. Outside of the school system, I can't really say Moore has these. From the outside looking in, I think Moore is a bit too dependent on sales tax revenue from big box development, and frankly that stuff is fleeting. What will happen if (or when) there's a new lifestyle or shopping development put in Norman or SWOKC?

I was kinda surprised by this, but G Walker is correct that there is actually not that many large parcels land available within the city limits. If I am in Moore city government I would start really pushing for some sort of master plan that shifts away from cookie cutter retail and big box. IMO the city's window for quality development is slowly closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I thought that too, but Moore actually has a little bit more room to expand. Once it reaches critical mass, if the interest is still there, you will then see older, run down neighborhoods start to be torn down and new, higher density redevelopment take place.
    What area-areas of Moore have the older, run down neighborhoods you are referring to? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    What area-areas of Moore have the older, run down neighborhoods you are referring to? Just curious.
    I can't name any right off of memory, but I go through Moore quite often as I work right at I-240 and Shields and have passed by some areas that could use a little sprucing up. By that, I mean, complete redevelopment of the properties. I'll make note of them next time I pass through.

I can't name any right off of memory, but I go through Moore quite often as I work right at I-240 and Shields and have passed by some areas that could use a little sprucing up. By that, I mean, complete redevelopment of the properties. I'll make note of them next time I pass through.
    Yeah, I was trying to think of some areas myself that's why I posed my question to you.

Yeah, I was trying to think of some areas myself that's why I posed my question to you.
    It's cool. I'm looking on maps right now to see where exactly I can think of. Overall, Moore is a very nice city, so I'm having to think.

I hope you didn't take my original comment in a way that would look like I was saying Moore is blighted and run down. That is not what I meant.

It's cool. I'm looking on maps right now to see where exactly I can think of. Overall, Moore is a very nice city, so I'm having to think.

I hope you didn't take my original comment in a way that would look like I was saying Moore is blighted and run down. That is not what I meant.
    No, I agree there are some area that need rehabbing but mostly north of 12th street, I live in the area between NW 27th and 12th

Janeway. The further north you go.

From Moore Monthly

Moore City Council Votes to Extend SW 11th Street to Plaza Towers Elementary

MOORE, Okla. - The Moore City Council voted unianimously Monday to begin a project that will extend southwest 11th Street to Plaza Towers Elementary School.

“After the tornado, when we began to look at that area," said Moore City Manager Steve Eddy. "We realized that we might have an opportunity to reimagine some of the area.”

Seventeen months ago, this typical neighborhood road was in the midst of one of the areas hit hardest by the May 20th tornado. Now surrounded by acts of recovery, southwest 11th Street in the neighborhood surrounding Plaza Towers Elementary is about a begin a recovery project of its own.

“We looked at it and realized that, some of the west neighborhood over around Penn Lane and west of the creek, you had to drive around or walk all the way around on the north side to get to school,” said Eddy. “A lot of kids still walk to school in that area, so we thought it would be important to both help that neighborhood recover quicker and to have more of a sense of neighborhood with the school being new in the area if we extended that roadway.”

It’s the first project to be funded by the second allocation of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG-DR). Once complete, a bridge will stand over what is now a drainage creek giving citizens a direct route to get from Plaza Towers Elementary to Santa Fe Avenue. It will also provide children a safe method of getting to school.

“It will have sidewalks and walking trails all around there so that the children can walk over there safely and not have to walk through a creek or try to cross over the little rickety bridge that we had out there before,” said Eddy.

Now that the Moore City Council has approved the project, engineers will begin with the planning phase, which is expected to take two to three months. City officials hope that construction will begin in late December or early January.

- See more at: News | Moore Monthly

MOORE, Okla.- The reconstruction of Broadway Street from Northwest 5th Street to Northwest 12th Street is just about complete.
    “We are all but done," said City of Moore Assistant City Manager Stan Drake. "We are doing dirt work, leveling, and laying sod along the curb lines and the sidewalks. In all, that will probably take another 10 days to two weeks.”

The project was initially set to be complete around the start of the school year. However, Drake said that during the construction process a number of unexpected discoveries led to delays.

19th and Broadway

MOORE, Okla.- A high profile project, the construction of the new Sam's Club is making quick progress. However, that soon won't be the only construction going on near the busy intersection of 19th Street and Broadway.

“We will start the reconstruction of 19th Street and Broadway, along with the onramp for northbound traffic onto I-35,” said Assistant City Manager Stan Drake.

Drake said that the City of Moore recently received the final engineering plans for the project, and construction crews will begin work on the intersection within the next two weeks.

“Basically what we are doing is moving traffic through that corridor faster than we are today," said Drake. "We are generating dual left turn lanes at the northbound, southbound and eastbound leg of North Broadway. Then, we are creating dual turn lanes for the eastbound traffic there on the east side of I-35 that are getting on the northbound on-ramp. So we will also have to widen the ramp there to two lanes. Then there is lane widening along that pathway from Broadway to the I-35 interchange.”

There have also been some construction changes regarding the location of the new Sam's Club gas station, originally set to be built on the southeast corner of the intersection.

Lots of good news here. Glad they will be adding a turning lane on part of 19th. Only a matter of time before most of it is this way.

News | Moore Monthly

News | Moore Monthly

MOORE, Okla.- Road construction on Telephone Road is set to shutdown a portion of the roadway to all traffic.

"The existing road is a two-lane roadway. We are building a three-lane road with sidewalks," said Assistant City Manager Stan Drake.

In fact, big changes and travel delays are coming as crews begin to rebuild Telephone Road from SW 4th Street to NW 5th Street.

"This is a local collector. It carries a lot of local traffic, and it has been in bad condition for a number of years," said Drake. "And that is the way that we operate, we try to fix the worst first. Telephone Road, with the amount of traffic that it carries and the condition of the roadway, it was time to tear it out and rebuild it."

Right now, utility companies are onsite relocating exisiting utilities and construction that will shut down all through traffic on the busy roadway will begin within the next month.

"There is a large drainage basin that travels across the roadway, so a new bridge box will be constructed," said Drake. "During the reconstruction of the bridge box, there will be no through traffic. We are closing the road to construct the box."

Once the bridge box is complete, the roadway will open back up to one-way traffic as crews work to reconstruct the roadway itself. So if you utilize north Telephone Road on your daily commute, Drake said it is important that you begin planning an alternate route.

Stay with TheMooreDaily.com for the latest information on this road project as it continues to develop.f

City Council Approves Construction of Mitigation Wall along I-35 - See more at: News | Moore Monthly

I guess I'll just put this here since it's a road project.

Proposition one for a four-lane bridge at South 34th Street over Interstate 35 passed with 57% of residents voting in favor of the bridge.

“It is going to take some time to get the engineering plans, right away acquisitions and approvals done. So we are not talking about right away,” said Eddy. “We are probably talking about a year or so before we can even begin to think about construction. So it is going to be awhile.”

- News | The Moore Daily

And here is your bill.

Attached Images Attached Images

Wow that graph really puts it into perspective.

20. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

FYI - The 4th street railroad crossing will be closed 11/10-11/14 but I haven't heard why.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    And here is your bill.

So $10 a month for larger homes down to $5 a month toward the end...Folks in $250k homes shouldn't even blink at that chart

I'm in the 250K category and I blink. Blinking is how I got there.

You do realize that in the next election cycle there will be another "worthy project" that will need funding. (Talk is the underpass on 4th street is the next big ticket item.) This will continue as long as voters keep approving every tax increase that is proposed. Keep in mind this is just City Of Moore business. Cleveland County needs projects funded. The State needs projects funded. Uncle Sam will need increases in their cut of your paycheck. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, are all going broke. It's slow death by a thousand small cuts. Every slick salesman that was ever born uses the analogy that for just the cost of a ______________ every month (fill in the blank with movie ticket, cheeseburger, pizza, etc) you can have this project funded. If you buy into that line of reasoning then you're drinking the Kool-Aid.

I hear ya sharpshooter but this is one well worth the $10 per month going down to a five spot. It is a necessity given the growth in Moore surrounding 19th. Already terrible now just wait til Sam's Club opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I hear ya sharpshooter but this is one well worth the $10 per month going down to a five spot. It is a necessity given the growth in Moore surrounding 19th. Already terrible now just wait til Sam's Club opens.
    I live in the neighborhood that is the absolute closest to any development on the western side of I-35 (across from the Fairways). Traffic is absolutely ridiculous at times, and has progressively been getting worse as more things are constructed. This is an absolute necessity, as several years ago I used to not blink about "going over the bridge", and now it can take up to 20 minutes depending on the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    So $10 a month for larger homes down to $5 a month toward the end...Folks in $250k homes shouldn't even blink at that chart
    I think saying someone shouldn't blink at that amount just because they have a nice home is a slippery slope. As sharpshooter said where does it stop in the future for the "next" project.

Thread Information