Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Road Construction in Moore

Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

I wonder how much of that will be pizza or hot dog combos?

http://www.retailingtoday.com/sites/...0Club_2012.pdf

Yeah found this little retail paper a bit ago doing some more investigating. It says at the end of their fiscal year 1/31/12 they had sales of 53.8 billion(!) with 611 stores. That averages out to 88 million per store. And that number was only 12% of all Walmart sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    The article says that the first year revenue from the Sams is expected to be 2.8 million. At the current rate it looks like the city gets 3.75% of the 8.5% collected. If I am not an embarrassment to my former math teachers that would put yearly sales at around 74.5 million? I knew they did a lot of business but that seems really high to me for some reason.
    Keep in mind that a good part of this is not new business, but sales poached from WalMart and others.

Update to the 19th St traffic situation

MOORE, Okla.- The City Council recently authorized a $5 million dollar loan to help fund a variety of public improvements that include a number of street repairs and intersection redesigns for a number of high traffic areas.

"They are going to see quite a bit of construction over the next year," said City Manager Steve Eddy.

The new Sam's Club currently under construction at the corner of 19th Street and Broadway is the anticipated revenue source for the loan. As the new business is continues to progress, a number of new construction projects to improve a number of intersections and roadways are set to begin.

"The primary thing that they will see that will start pretty soon is the improvements at the intersection of 19th and Broadway in anticipation of the Sam's Club opening," said Eddy. "It will include widening the intersection and adding some lanes on 19th Street. Other projects include the intersection at 19th Street and Eastern, 19th Street and Tower, and 4th Street and Telephone. All of these improvements are designed to just help carry traffic better through these intersections. We are also going to be doing some overlay projects. We will be putting down new asphalt on 19th Street between Telephone Road and Santa Fe, along with the Service Roads in front of the Warren Theatre and Kohl's."

The anticipated new annual revenue of approximately $2.8 million from the Sam's Club that is making these improvements possible. The City Council authorized the $5 million loan with BancFirst. It will be paid back over the next five years with the new revenue. The first year the city will only pay the interest which is estimated to be around $100,000.

"It is considered to be short term financing. We do not want to have extended debt for the city because the needs of the city continue to grow," said Eddy. "We will take the sales tax revenue from Sam's Club for four years and use that for the debt service, and then after that we will have that amount of money for just general use in the city."

The majority of the improvements will take place on the city's south side, which presents a high density of commercial developments leading to lots of traffic.

"With all the additional traffic we have, we have to always be looking at these intersections to make sure there is room for the traffic," said Eddy. - See more at: News | Moore Monthly

News | Moore Monthly

Bond going before the people for a 34th St overpass.

Reading the article it appears that even if the bond gets passed there is a lot of hurtles to jump for the bridge with the creek running by the railroad tracks as well as ODOT's rule since it crosses their highway. This could be 5 - 10 years down the line before it's done.

8. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

“A railroad underpass on 4th Street is a convenience,” said Ward 2 City Councilman Mark Hamm. “An overpass at 34th Street is a necessity.”
    Ummm... Tell that to the people living East of the tracks that are waiting on an ambulance stuck on the other side of a train.... I think he got this backwards... 34th street is for convenience. 4th Street, or 12th Street, underpass could save a life.

Perhaps he said it backwards but there's no bond vote in place for the railroad underpass, is there? I am surprised the overpass is getting any attention, especially before the underpass but at the same time a lot of people think an overpass at 34th will solve all our traffic problems <lol, sure>. I'm all for the overpass though as it will certainly benefit us.

All things considered I have a feeling that if they were to put the vote out there for both projects at the same time and it had to be one or the other, the overpass would win out.

10. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    Perhaps he said it backwards but there's no bond vote in place for the railroad underpass, is there?
    City of Moore put a question on their FB page the other day about the two. You were supposed to Like the post if you wanted one option and comment if you wanted the other and I believe they said it would be discussed at an upcoming Council Meeting. I never went back to see how it turned out but apparently more people wanted the convenience the overpass will offer.

I also thought it was strange that comment came from the Ward 2 councilman since neither project would be in his ward..... I still think it's a backward comment.... Bridging 34th is for convenience of not having to deal with 19th Street traffic and building the underpass would alleviate a possible emergency situation from becoming worse.

Here is the graphic for it

Also, here is another article from News9 about the bond proposal and some other small projects

Moore Voters To Consider Bond Proposal, Sales Tax - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    City of Moore put a question on their FB page the other day about the two. You were supposed to Like the post if you wanted one option and comment if you wanted the other and I believe they said it would be discussed at an upcoming Council Meeting. I never went back to see how it turned out but apparently more people wanted the convenience the overpass will offer.

I also thought it was strange that comment came from the Ward 2 councilman since neither project would be in his ward..... I still think it's a backward comment.... Bridging 34th is for convenience of not having to deal with 19th Street traffic and building the underpass would alleviate a possible emergency situation from becoming worse.
    Interesting! I missed that post but I guessed right apparently.

This is from the Norman Transcript Article linked in the news9 article.

Moore to vote on $15 million bond project - Norman Transcript: News

The council also briefly considered using the bond to build a railroad underpass east of the intersection of South Fourth Street and Broadway Street. While some Moore residents have complained about stopped trains blocking traffic in the area, the bigger concern is the bridge at 34th Street.

If they are not going to build the underpass at 4th can they at least do something about how horrid the crossing is? All the new money is going into south Moore and it seems like the central part of Moore is forgotten about.

The railroad crossing is actually the responsibility of the railroad, not the city.

Also on the November ballot is a vote to renew a temporary half percent, or 0.5 percent sales tax increase that was first approved in 2007. Initially, this temporary sales tax increase paid to build new fire stations. It was renewed in April 2011 and has netted $12.5 million in revenue for the city with $10 million used for residential streets and $2.5 million for safety equipment.

As I've stated in the past in a different thread on the new Central Park, there is no such thing as a temporary sales tax in Moore. Once a temporary sales tax is passed, the City will always ask it's citizens to renew it for a good cause.

What's it going to be used for now?

There was a slight mistake in last week story. The updated article is here:

In last week's story on the Moore City Council's decision asking voters to approve or disapprove a bond issue to fund an I-35 overpass at 34th Street we incorrectly attributed a statement to Ward 2 Council Member Mark Hamm. That statement was made by Ward 1 Council Member David Roberts. Here is Roberts' statement in it's entirety:

"I've tried to sort this out over several days and I think I came to the conclusion while a go that, in reference to the overpass versus the bridge over I-35. The overpass is a convenience for our citizens but the bridge at I-35 is an urgency on the part of our business community and our citizens to get that traffic moving as we as we can down in that area. And it seems likely the only way that's gonna be possible is for that bridge to be built across there so that some of the other things can be done that will help move that traffic."

- See more at: News | Moore Monthly

21. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

It is very unlikely I will be voting for an increase on my property taxes to make up for absolutely horrid planning by city planners in regards to 19th Street. At some point city leaders need to do what's best for residents and not for businesses, take a step back, and realize their total lack of foresight in terms of cohesive development is the cause of the issue, not the lack of an overpass at 34th.

Well, I certainly can't tell you how to spend your money or what to vote for, but at some point that overpass is going to have to be built. The sales tax these developments are creating is great for Moore. Moore is progressing and has the capability to do great things.

I'm curious though, do you not like the development or just think that Moore should have planned the infrastructure better and included it in future construction without needing a special bond for it.

23. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

I live here and have to deal with the nightmare that is 19th St on a daily basis. Moore has turned into a "build at all cost" town with a lack of emphasis on long-term, sustainable planning. The fact that there is a stop light for a Wal-Mart that is improperly positioned along an interstate service road is a prime example. Building an overpass with no access to I-35 is not going to alleviate the issue enough to warrant a 15-year general obligation bond.

Had this been a partnership with ODoT to include exit and entry from/to I-35 I would probably feel differently -- but the fact remains it's 19th St that is in immediate need of overhaul....not an overpass at 34th. And certainly for all the complaints us east-siders have had the past several years about the crossing at 4th St, and the fact the new local hospital will be built directly west of this crossing, the underpass at 4th should have higher importance.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    I live here and have to deal with the nightmare that is 19th St on a daily basis. Moore has turned into a "build at all cost" town with a lack of emphasis on long-term, sustainable planning. The fact that there is a stop light for a Wal-Mart that is improperly positioned along an interstate service road is a prime example. Building an overpass with no access to I-35 is not going to alleviate the issue enough to warrant a 15-year general obligation bond.

Had this been a partnership with ODoT to include exit and entry from/to I-35 I would probably feel differently -- but the fact remains it's 19th St that is in immediate need of overhaul....not an overpass at 34th. And certainly for all the complaints us east-siders have had the past several years about the crossing at 4th St, and the fact the new local hospital will be built directly west of this crossing, the underpass at 4th should have higher importance.
    I hear you

Whatever the case is, I wish you luck from Edmond. I rarely drive on that street, but when I do..... wow :/

There's a Traffic Study available on the City of Moore website:
    Traffic Impact Study for 19th Street | City of Moore

Thread Information