Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Road Construction in Moore

Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

I have my doubts but I hope they use the opportunity to repave or redo SW 34 between Santa Fe and Western. The current road is an absolute mess and my understanding is that neither Moore or OKC want to take responsibility of fixing it.

Also Santa Fe south of 34 is becoming bad just outside of the Talavera neighborhood. I've seen ruts develop so deep that cars with low suspension were bottoming out.

Didn't see a specific topic for 4th Street Railroad crossing so I thought this fit best here.

Moore has released the information for their 2018 Bond Packages which includes a 4th Street railroad underpass for $27,860,000. Other road improvement packages are tied into the 4th Street underpass adding $15,190,033 for a total $43,050,000 for just Bond Package 1.

The other 4 Bond Packages total an additional $5,565,000.00. City says it would add $8.00 per year per $100,000 of value.

https://www.cityofmoore.com/2018-bond-election

I for one will be voting NO for all these. Property taxes are already too high in Moore as it is now!!

Not sure about how high the property taxes are in Moore but Moore has become a very nice community and becomes more so every time I visit. I’m guessing that’s a result of increased investment which I hope continues with these bond packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not sure about how high the property taxes are in Moore but Moore has become a very nice community and becomes more so every time I visit. I’m guessing that’s a result of increased investment which I hope continues with these bond packages.
    They are high and it is time to put a stop to it. Time for Moore to become a lower class city and ease off on the dang property taxes. I hope my neighborhood will decline more so my property value will go down and give some relief on the property taxes I pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    They are high and it is time to put a stop to it. Time for Moore to become a lower class city and ease off on the dang property taxes. I hope my neighborhood will decline more so my property value will go down and give some relief on the property taxes I pay.
    If you tell me which street you actually live on I will arrange for some folks to come on over and trash the place out some to help your cause.
    Last edited by mblues; 05-21-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    The other 4 Bond Packages total an additional $5,565,000.00. City says it would add $8.00 per year per $100,000 of value.
    Robert, a correction: That is $8 per month (not year) per $100K of property value. Ain't it funny the way the City likes to use their own narrative when describing the proposition? We pay our property taxes once a year but the City likes to break it down to a per-month dollar figure to make it more digestible. $8 per month increase sounds a lot better than $96 a year increase when you're trying to sell a proposal to the public.

My view is the 4th St railroad underpass (proposition 1) is far too expensive. Alone, it is $43 million of the total $48 million bond election. Everyone that purchased property East of the tracks knew trains were an inconvenience to be dealt with when you choose to use 4th St.

My hope is not all 5 propositions will fail due to the overall cost of the entire bond election and that citizens will pass props 2 thru 5.

9. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

Wow what a shortsighted comment. The vast majority of your property taxes are paid to the Moore School District, not the city. Furthermore, how dumb does it sound to hope the value of your biggest investment decreases substantially enough to lower your property tax bill?

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Wow what a shortsighted comment. The vast majority of your property taxes are paid to the Moore School District, not the city. Furthermore, how dumb does it sound to hope the value of your biggest investment decreases substantially enough to lower your property tax bill?
    I don't support Moore Public schools in any way other than my property taxes no kids in school. And I plan on not selling my house so the property value can drop like a rock as far as I am concerned.

I don't support Moore Public schools in any way other than my property taxes no kids in school. And I plan on not selling my house so the property value can drop like a rock as far as I am concerned.
    Why don't you just move out to the outskirts of town with very little services? Your fighting a losing battle if you want very little funding for education, roads, city services, etc. Moore aspires to be like Edmond, you might as well recognize that fact right now. Most owners right or wrong see their home as an investment, and see the obvious connection that well funded school districts have on property values.

When it comes to the railway overpass, that comes down to who wants it, doesn't want it more and actually goes out to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Robert, a correction: That is $8 per month (not year) per $100K of property value. Ain't it funny the way the City likes to use their own narrative when describing the proposition? We pay our property taxes once a year but the City likes to break it down to a per-month dollar figure to make it more digestible. $8 per month increase sounds a lot better than $96 a year increase when you're trying to sell a proposal to the public..
    Yeah I either miss read it or miss typed it but you are correct it is $8.00 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    My view is the 4th St railroad underpass (proposition 1) is far too expensive. Alone, it is $43 million of the total $48 million bond election.
    I agree it seems very expensive especially compared to Robinson Street underpass which was $25 million and $10 million of that was cost to Norman per NewsOK. It probably has more to due with the space available compared to Norman but Moore residents I don't feel should bare the whole cost. This underpass would be a benefit to BNSF a great deal and they should contribute to some extent. I also think ODOT should contribute a portion since 4th Street is a state highway.

I did express my displeasure to the city that they lumped other road projects in with the underpass that are required. I'm not sure about the other road projects but I know the 34th Street resurfacing and widening was approved by the city in July 2012 and I think it will be something they will have to do regardless with the 34th overpass, new housing construction at Sendera Lakes and Talavera, and the increased traffic going that way from Southmoore.

This has been an issue in Moore and a lot of Oklahoma communities. Low Property prices and general cost of living has attracted out-of-staters. They sell their high dollar property in California or elsewhere, buy an equal sized property for a third the money. They are retired, no kids in school. They vote NO to school bonds, any civil expansion. Had one move across street from moms house. They called police on me for mowing without a grass catcher! Told officer it was illegal where they were from, officer said 'go back'.

Quote Originally Posted by drinner-okc View Post
    This has been an issue in Moore and a lot of Oklahoma communities. Low Property prices and general cost of living has attracted out-of-staters. They sell their high dollar property in California or elsewhere, buy an equal sized property for a third the money. They are retired, no kids in school. They vote NO to school bonds, any civil expansion. Had one move across street from moms house. They called police on me for mowing without a grass catcher! Told officer it was illegal where they were from, officer said 'go back'.
    If Californians want to move here, they better adapt to there being less of a nanny state than in Cali or they'll never make it.

"Don't California My Oklahoma"

16. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

Our property taxes went up to pay for the overpass being put in on 34th and I35. It shouldn't be our job to pay for all of this. We are taxed to death and the city continues to want more. I will vote...NO! Furthermore, the $7,300 I pay per year in property taxes is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yunome12@yahoo.com View Post
    Our property taxes went up to pay for the overpass being put in on 34th and I35. It shouldn't be our job to pay for all of this. We are taxed to death and the city continues to want more. I will vote...NO! Furthermore, the $7,300 I pay per year in property taxes is more than enough.
    7300? What's your house valued at??

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    7300? What's your house valued at??
    must be 700K or so

19. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

$550k

Quote Originally Posted by yunome12@yahoo.com View Post
    Well who do you want to pay for it? Oklahoma City? Maybe the state of Oklahoma can pay for it? Which means you’re still paying for it.

I guess we can call Texas and have them pay for it.

Get ready for the orange cones multiple new construction projects coming in the next few years!

https://freepressokc.com/moore-city-...thoroughfares/

Upcoming projects:

Engineering presentation – two intersections

EST’s engineering presentation focused on two intersections within the Broadway and Eastern Avenue Widening project; the Broadway/Tower and 19th intersection as well as the Broadway/Eastern intersection.

Broadway/Tower and 19th street intersection is not ready to handle future traffic as the city expands. EST recommended several strategies to increase its capacity.

The intersection may be widened to accommodate left turn lanes, or it may be completely reconstructed and split.

The Broadway/Eastern intersection is a more complex project, as engineers believe traffic will far outpace the current intersection’s carrying capacity and should employ more advanced engineering.

The intersection will likely be replaced with a roundabout, since it is one of the best traffic solutions for an intersection with complex geometry and multiple nearby roads. Other proposals needed land from nearby businesses, which the Council wanted to avoid.

The City Council agreed with the engineer’s recommendations, but decided to wait until more Councilors are present before making a decision.
    - https://freepressokc.com/moore-city-...-zoning-issue/

23. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

Id like to see Eastern shaved down all down the length of Moore. The concrete is so jagged and bumpy now.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Id like to see Eastern shaved down all down the length of Moore. The concrete is so jagged and bumpy now.
    If they do fix eastern I would love to see eastern have a center turn lane from n.e27th all the way to s.e19th.

25. Default Re: General Road Construction in Moore

That would be nice, but im not holding my breathe. That's a WHOLE lot more money. Rush hour seems to be when Eastern is the worst. Especially far north from 240. That line from 27th goes all the way up to The Waters.

I wish OKC would put a light in at the 240/Eastern junctions too. Same thing, at rush hour, the line waiting to go north is back past The Diamond every day.

Thread Information