Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Okcfest 2014

Default Re: Okcfest 2014

Some people react negatively to different genres of music for reasons that may have little to do with the music and a lot to do with what they bring to the party. Rock and roll was awful, rap is awful, country is awful, jazz is awful. We are all entitled to our personal tastes and that should be respected, IMO. You see the same thing with the visual arts where people hate abstract or primitive. The more I learn and appreciate the genre the more I get why others like it even if it isn't my cup of tea. I think a lot of non musicians like country because the lyrics are a big part and they can join in with song. It's also feels good and just makes you happy. That's a legitimate reason for music and IMO, something to appreciate. Candidly, a lot of different types of music are lost on me because I lack a music/instrument background and miss a lot that my better trained friends notice. On the other hand, a lot of those same people completely miss the lyrics because they aren't important to them. Country, to me, is very akin to poetry. And modern country is making great use of cadence more akin to rap than Rock in a way I like.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Not me, had to work and wife works until late each weeknight. And I don't care much for student bands, anyway, I'm a music snob (and a wine snob, beer snob, food snob, ad nauseum). Moby as a DJ isn't that interesting to me, either. Having said that, however, I have attended a few ACM@UCO shows downtown in their club/whatever it is, Scott does bring some good bands there (Swans, Black Angels, etc.).

I noticed on the DCF website they had a concert promotion flyer and at the top of the flyer it said, "Oklahoma's premier outdoor music festival". I think Norman, Pryor, downtown Tulsa and a few other places might have something to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I noticed on the DCF website they had a concert promotion flyer and at the top of the flyer it said, "Oklahoma's premier outdoor music festival". I think Norman, Pryor, downtown Tulsa and a few other places might have something to say about that...
    That's called planning for the future.

Even though we argue over the lineup here, don't be surprised if this has the largest turnout of those you listed

Maybe they should rename it SouthOKCFest.

Between this and Rocklahoma we really do know how to target our consumers. I'm sure it's going to be wildly successful.

I'm looking at the Bonnaroo link posted earlier in this thread wondering if folks realize these are some of the hottest names in music right now, and that this festival is pretty diverse... many different genres here. Someone categorized it as hipstery and genre specific. I just wanted to point out it was basically the opposite of that.

My prior joking (jabs?) aside, I do wish that something called OKCFest, which would seem to be implying it is a festival for our entire city, would include more than one genre of music. You would think that even if they were "trying to focus on what is popular" that someone could spring for one, maybe two modern rock acts and throw in a dash of hip-hop for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    My prior joking (jabs?) aside, I do wish that something called OKCFest, which would seem to be implying it is a festival for our entire city, would include more than one genre of music. You would think that even if they were "trying to focus on what is popular" that someone could spring for one, maybe two modern rock acts and throw in a dash of hip-hop for good measure.
    Keep in mind that the complete lineup has not been announced yet.

*keeping fingers crossed*

Which is really surprising, since most larger fests (which this one aspires to be, apparently) have their lineups announced way more than 2 months in advance. Guessing that the only acts added will be smaller than the ones already committed, because the bigger acts will have already figured out tour dates for 2 months from now (Motley Crue, for example, already has a date set for OKC in October).

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I'm looking at the Bonnaroo link posted earlier in this thread wondering if folks realize these are some of the hottest names in music right now, and that this festival is pretty diverse... many different genres here. Someone categorized it as hipstery and genre specific. I just wanted to point out it was basically the opposite of that.
    You do realize that Bonnaroo started off as almost 100% hippy jam-bands right?

country music concert in central Ok- that's thinking outside the box. This all has the official Cornett stamp of lameness.

Well, to be fair, they thought about booking a hot new happening red dirt hipster group called My Way or the Highway, but then they realized it was just the DRED campaign looking for new work

I still find it odd that people are looking for a hip lineup in a festival started by some yuppie and a mayor.
    ACL, Bonnaroo, Sasquatch, Coachella, Austin Psyche Fest, Norman Music Festival...pretty sure no of those were started by their town's respective mayors.

anyone know where you can suggest bands for the lineup? my buddy in Seattle is friends with this band Country Lips. Yes they're all NW hipsters, but they all genuinely love classic country and put a pretty neat spin on it, this is a new release

Black Water - Country Lips OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    anyone know where you can suggest bands for the lineup? my buddy in Seattle is friends with this band Country Lips. Yes they're all NW hipsters, but they all genuinely love classic country and put a pretty neat spin on it, this is a new release

Black Water - Country Lips OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube
    Brad, I would have them wait a few weeks until after the June concert this year and contact them about 2015 at the contact form:
    OKC Fest; Oklahoma's Premiere Outdoor Music Festival - June 27-28, 2014

I just think that sound would kill it down here with a wide audience.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I just think that sound would kill it down here with a wide audience.
    Kinda has that old C&W feel inspired by a little electronica, great sound! Good stuff, really!

I had to ask my friend though, are they trying to troll old C&W fans, is it some "ironic" hipster deal, or do they truly love this music? He said they all are in love with classic C&W style.

Awesomely nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C&W is the last bastion of the singer/songwriter.

I've never really liked the style but I have some friends out here that are into the newer stuff and I have to admit that most in that genre have some musical talent. Almost all can really sing, play an instrument and write songs.

And frankly, every once in a while it's still nice to hear music with lyrics that you can understand and tell a bit of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    C&W is the last bastion of the singer/songwriter.

I've never really liked the style but I have some friends out here that are into the newer stuff and I have to admit that most in that genre have some musical talent. Almost all can really sing, play an instrument and write songs.

And frankly, every once in a while it's still nice to hear music with lyrics that you can understand and tell a bit of a story.
    So true about being able to play an instrument. Brad Paisley is a helluva guitarist.

23. Default Re: Okcfest 2014

It didn't take me reading all 5 pages of this thread to come to the conclusion that for some of you, nothing will ever be enough. I am not a fan of country music but anything that could get 30-40,000 people out and about downtown is a damn good start. There are too many members of this board who complain OKC still doesn't have enough to offer but then bitch and moan when an event that will draw thousands doesn't fit the bill. Cry me a damn river.

For folks who do not typically listen to country, traditional or modern, start taping Nashville. When you watch it, if you want to FF through the plot lines and only play the music, you'll not feel like you missed a great deal. Not a horrid story overall, but the music, ahhh, the music. The show could pretty much succeed as a weekly series of concerts far longer than it could survive on it s story lines. There are so dang fine writers working with that production.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    For folks who do not typically listen to country, traditional or modern, start taping Nashville. When you watch it, if you want to FF through the plot lines and only play the music, you'll not feel like you missed a great deal. Not a horrid story overall, but the music, ahhh, the music. The show could pretty much succeed as a weekly series of concerts far longer than it could survive on it s story lines. There are so dang fine writers working with that production.
    I just got back today from Nashville and Lynchburg. Downtown Nashville was amazing vibrant all weekend long long. Tons of live music and bars.

Thread Information