Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlton Landing

Default Carlton Landing

I stumbled across this.

Carlton Landing

A planned community in Oklahoma. Who knew?

Default Re: Carlton Landing

Yep, Blair Humphries' idea. Pretty neat.

I believe something was mentioned of it here awhile back

It's been mentioned several times on the board. Practically anytime someone talks about one of the Humphreys.

Well, as they say in Canada, sorey.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Well, as they say in Canada, sorey.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    You've been in the wash closet for toooooo long ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You've been in the wash closet for toooooo long ;-)
    *Washroom

Thread resurrection because I found this article:

Big plans: Carlton Landing TIF to pay for improvements, retreat center

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record February 29, 2016

CARLTON LANDING – Town founder Grant Humphreys and other leaders have big plans for their small municipality on Lake Eufaula.

But putting those plans into motion required financial investment. Town trustees spent the last two years developing a tax increment finance district to help support public projects, including a conference and retreat center, said Humphreys.

The TIF has a 25-year life span. During that time, it is expected to capture $80 million in property tax growth.

In Oklahoma City, the finance structure is often used to help spur development in blighted areas. It can also be used in rural areas that are underdeveloped, said Leslie Batchelor, attorney with the Center for Economic Development Law. She worked with Carlton Landing on creating the TIF district.

Humphreys said the Carlton Landing land had been next to the lake since it was formed in 1963. He said the area could use the TIF structure to help spur private investment, and that he expects about $2 billion in private investment over the next 25 years.

There are 100 homes in the area, with 60 more slated for completion this year. Plans call for 2,500 homes.

“(TIF) is a way of solving that chicken-and-egg problem,” Batchelor said. “If you make the public investment in streets or infrastructure, you can bring about the private development. But if you wait until you get the private investment, communities often lack the public investment to generate the private investment.”

That seems to be the case with Carlton Landing. The town created a 3-percent local sales tax in January 2014. It collects about $10,000 a month, Humphreys said.

“It’s a good revenue stream, but it does not provide the impact that this TIF does,” he said.

In February, town residents approved a general obligation bond that increases the town millage to 92 mills. The difference in the 76.16 Canadian School District millage and the Carlton Landing millage rate goes to Carlton Landing. It is expected to collect $9.5 million over 10 years. The millage rate is still lower than Oklahoma City and Edmond, Humphreys said.

The TIF increment area encompasses the entire township, about 900 acres. It does not include public green spaces, conservation districts, public right of ways, alleys or parks.

The money pulled from the increment district will be spent on public improvements throughout the town and 450 acres that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers owns closer to the lake. Carlton Landing has a long-term lease on the property. State law allows TIF projects on the land as allowed by state statute. Humphreys said it can take years to annex Army Corps. land, but a long-term lease met the state statute ownership requirement.

Batchelor said state statutes defined the TIF’s size. When working on Oklahoma City TIFs, she said, she’s never worried about an increment district’s size. But a district cannot be more than 35 percent of the assessed net value of the school district. It has to be 25 percent or less of the town’s total land area.

One of the Carlton Landing TIF’s most anticipated projects is the 500-person-capacity conference and retreat center. Humphreys said it will help the town stay full all year. Many visitors come only from May to September; however, conferences are often held in spring and fall. In addition, larger associations or groups often have to leave the state for conferences because there isn’t a place big enough or close enough to fit everyone.

The town worked with The Kubala Washatko Architects Inc. in Wisconsin on the center’s design.

“(The retreat center) is a big deal, not just for bringing bodies to Carlton Landing in the spring and fall,” Humphreys said. “It’s a big deal for Oklahoma. We need a place where our state can gather for retreat.”

This is such a cool project.

I really like Lake Eufaula and have been considering a lake home there. I might have to go by Carlton Landing soon, although everything is pricey for a 2nd home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is such a cool project.

I really like Lake Eufaula and have been considering a lake home there. I might have to go by Carlton Landing soon, although everything is pricey for a 2nd home.
    You can also rent a house there. Cheap way to visit there for a weekend, or test out if it's something you would really like.

I looked a while back at prices, and then ended up contacting them about if there would be additional housing types eventually available. They said there will be townhomes, condos, apartments eventually, with price points a little less. Hopefully this is still happening, I would definitely love a second home there.

For those of you with a desire to visit Carlton Landing, they have a big BBQ competition and festival scheduled for the weekend of June 17-18 sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. They're calling it "Smoke on the Water," and their website says they hope to have strong participation and a bunch of related events like music, etc.

https://www.carltonlanding.com/smokeonthewater/

I am seriously considering going to this event. If anyone would like to carpool/caravan from okc Saturday morning then PM me and we can make a plan.

This story on Carlton Landing appeared in today's Wall Street Journal https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-ma...mod=hp_jr_pos1

Specific to Carlton Landing was this:
    Carlton Landing in Oklahoma plans to have 3,000 homes but will take 30 years to complete. For now, it has 180 completed homes—enough to support a small pizza restaurant, two food trucks, plus 10 pop-up shops that open on weekends.

“We see retailing as something you have to incubate,” says town founder Grant Humphreys. Architect Andrés Martin Duany, who designed both Seaside and Carlton Landing, says that it takes around 25 years before walkable communities are “hitting on all cylinders.”

I haven't been to Carlton Landing but it's on my list. It's not too far only 2 hours from OKC and 1.5 hours from Tulsa but not really on the way anywhere else either. I wish there was a small boutique hotel, maybe that's in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I haven't been to Carlton Landing but it's on my list. It's not too far only 2 hours from OKC and 1.5 hours from Tulsa but not really on the way anywhere else either. I wish there was a small boutique hotel, maybe that's in the works.
    One of the points of master planned communities is that the real estate is completely controlled by the community and/or a few select real estate brokers. I doubt you’ll ever see any hotel built in or around Carlton Landing.

There are some 1 bed 1 bath accommodations available for rent. (All rentals are controlled by Carlton Landing, some owned by the Corp or principals AFAIK.) http://bookings.carltonlanding.com

I've been once before and got a tour from one of the original homeowners. Nice for sure! A little Stepford Wife-y in the wealthy, cookie cutter slightly creepy sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDub2 View Post
    ...A little Stepford Wife-y in the wealthy, cookie cutter slightly creepy sense.
    yep

Oh wow...I love, love, love this. Can't wait until the Wheeler District gets this filled up!!!

Blog Entries

Carton Landing could greatly enhance their marketing with those pics. Very nice. Best perspective of the area I have seen.

So awesome. If I remember right, I think the developers had an idea of how many houses they wanted developed. Where are they at now in terms of their overall development numbers?

I had no idea that it was so developed at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    So awesome. If I remember right, I think the developers had an idea of how many houses they wanted developed. Where are they at now in terms of their overall development numbers?
    We looked at lots and houses and picked up a packet a few years ago. (My neighbor has owned a couple of houses there.) There was an overall development plan in the packet, showing the primary phase one area, with many many acres of development beyond that in future phases before it's completely built out. Pete's photos seem to indicate to me they have mainly filled in lots within that primary area. If i had to guess based on those photos and memory, 35% built, Everything in the future will be semicircle bands around what's there, with a few more waterfront lots as they move farther away from the core but mostly adding blocks behind and around what is there now. I could be wrong though, they may already be into the next phase somewhat.

Thread Information