Widgets Magazine

Thread: 13 Things Only Tulsa Natives Will Understand

1. Default 13 Things Only Tulsa Natives Will Understand

Default Re: 13 Things Only Tulsa Natives Will Understand

"4. You’ve heard a tornado siren go off, run outside for a glimpse, and run back inside when you realized that was stupid."

I gather Tulsa gets bypassed from tornadoes much more often than Oklahoma City metro area does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    "4. You’ve heard a tornado siren go off, run outside for a glimpse, and run back inside when you realized that was stupid."

I gather Tulsa gets bypassed from tornadoes much more often than Oklahoma City metro area does.
    It does. Tulsa doesn't get hit as often and when they do its less severe than what is typical for OKC. Also whenever the Tulsa metro has a tornado, they tend to hit Broken Arrow more than they do Tulsa proper. They haven't had any storms similar to OKC's storms on May 20, 2013 or on May 3, 1999 in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It does. Tulsa doesn't get hit as often and when they do its less severe than what is typical for OKC. Also whenever the Tulsa metro has a tornado, they tend to hit Broken Arrow more than they do Tulsa proper. They haven't had any storms similar to OKC's storms on May 20, 2013 or on May 3, 1999 in recent history.
    The Tulsa area hasn't had as many significant tornadoes as the OKC area in the last few years but, if you're just comparing the two cities and not the suburbs, OKC has 621 square miles and Tulsa has 196 square miles. I'm very aware that much of the OKC land is rural but it still counts in statistics if you're comparing.

I'm going to have to check out the Center if the Universe thing. In all my years of going to Tulsa (my grandma lives there) I've not once heard of it. Sounds like a vortex. Not as cool as the Oregon Vortex but the only explanation that makes sense.

6. Default Re: 13 Things Only Tulsa Natives Will Understand

It is just a low brick circular wall that focuses sound back at you from all sides when you stand in the exact center. There is a similar effect in the second floor of the Round Barn in Arcadia. It's not as mysterious as everyone makes it out to be, but still fun.

I'd still have to check it out. I just can't imagine that an 18" tall curved brick wall could do that.

8. Default Re: 13 Things Only Tulsa Natives Will Understand

You'll imagine it after you hear it in person. I'm not denying the coolness of it; only the mystery. There is also a similar effect (ceiling-generated) inside the main entrance to the Quail Springs AMC.

Thread Information