Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tulsa Race Masacre

Default Tulsa Race Masacre

Only 101 years and counting. Motion to stop reparation trial denied by judge.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/us/tu...ial/index.html

Default Re: Tulsa Race Masacre

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Only 101 years and counting. Motion to stop reparation trial denied by judge.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/us/tu...ial/index.html
    The City of Tulsa deputized white citizens, provided them weapons, and encouraged the destruction of Greenwood and murder of Black Tulsans. The fact that reparations haven't been fully paid to every citizen and descendent of 1921 Greenwood is such an injustice. As just one example, the Stradfords owned the largest Black-owned hotel in the country... how do we know that wouldn't have become a nationwide hotel chain worth millions or billions today? Instead, all their wealth was destroyed with the support of the city and state. This happened to so many families on different levels.

The lost opportunity costs are staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The City of Tulsa deputized white citizens, provided them weapons, and encouraged the destruction of Greenwood and murder of Black Tulsans. The fact that reparations haven't been fully paid to every citizen and descendent of 1921 Greenwood is such an injustice. As just one example, the Stradfords owned the largest Black-owned hotel in the country... how do we know that wouldn't have become a nationwide hotel chain worth millions or billions today? Instead, all their wealth was destroyed with the support of the city and state. This happened to so many families on different levels.
    How do we know it wouldn't have failed within 5 years, like a lot of independent businesses do? I get your point, 100%. But I have a hard time punishing current citizens having to pay reparations, especially since African-Americans will be paying them to, well, themselves. And any targeted approach of only taxing or charging white people will not fly, in any legal way WHATSOEVER. I agree something needs to be done, but reparations needs to be done very carefully, and without malice to 2022 citizens of Tulsa. And it needs to be equitable across the board, not just against white people. And I tend to be fairly liberal. I am not sure how this will all fly or get settled, that is for different minds than mine.

But yes, something needs to be done for them, but the something is where I have a hard time, rom a legal standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    How do we know it wouldn't have failed within 5 years, like a lot of independent businesses do? I get your point, 100%. But I have a hard time punishing current citizens having to pay reparations, especially since African-Americans will be paying them to, well, themselves. And any targeted approach of only taxing or charging white people will not fly, in any legal way WHATSOEVER. I agree something needs to be done, but reparations needs to be done very carefully, and without malice to 2022 citizens of Tulsa. And it needs to be equitable across the board, not just against white people. And I tend to be fairly liberal. I am not sure how this will all fly or get settled, that is for different minds than mine.

But yes, something needs to be done for them, but the something is where I have a hard time, rom a legal standpoint.
    I've never really heard anyone make the suggestions you're making so I don't think there would be a legal problem. The U.S. has already paid reparations to Japanese incarceration survivors without all the legal problems you've conjured up. Evanston, Illinois already has a targeted reparations program for much less than what happened in Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I've never really heard anyone make the suggestions you're making so I don't think there would be a legal problem. The U.S. has already paid reparations to Japanese incarceration survivors without all the legal problems you've conjured up. Evanston, Illinois already has a targeted reparations program for much less than what happened in Tulsa.
    Maybe so, but I also don't trust Oklahoma politicians, at all. That is why I brought up those legal items.

21 additional unmarked graves found
    https://www.npr.org/2022/11/02/11334...ves-discovered

Check out this upcoming event:

“Requiem for the Massacre: A Black History on the Conflict, Hope, and Fallout of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre” with RJ Young and Katy Mullins (Virtual)

RJ Young joins The Mark Twain House & Museum to discuss his striking new book, Requiem for the Massacre: A Black History on the Conflict, Hope, and Fallout of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre with fellow writer Katy Mullins.

The massacre against the Black residents of Tulsa, Oklahoma was covered up and ignored for generations. Young shows how Tulsa remains all too tolerant of racial injustice while it attempts to end the power of the status quo and face its racist past. Blending journalism and memoir, Young threads his own reflections together with the stories of a community and a nation trying to find healing and hope.

FREE Virtual Event! REGISTER HERE.

Copies of Requiem for the Massacre are available for purchase through the Mark Twain Store; proceeds benefit The Mark Twain House & Museum. Books will be shipped after the event. We regret that we are NOT able to ship books outside the United States as it is cost-prohibitive to do so.

https://marktwainhouse.org/event/req...llins-virtual/

Thread Information