Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa International Airport

Default Re: Tulsa International Airport

Hate to say this, but OKC airport is much better and more nice than Tulsa airport. Plus, OKC logistically is better situated for direct flights. Just my opinion.

2. Default Re: Tulsa International Airport

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    . ...OKC logistically is better situated for direct flights. Just my opinion.
    Can't speak to the first part of your quote, because I have never been to TUL at all, but what's the thought behind this part of your statement. And when you say, "direct" flights, do you mean non-stop? There's actually a technical difference in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Hate to say this, but OKC airport is much better and more nice than Tulsa airport. Plus, OKC logistically is better situated for direct flights. Just my opinion.
    The two airports are only 120 miles apart how is one positioned better than the other? And with the recent improvements both airports are pretty nice. I like the high ceilings and wider concourses at OKC and wish TUL could eventually do something like that in the concourses. At the same time I prefer the wide open and high ceiling security area and baggage claim areas at TUL to the closed off and lower ceiling areas at OKC. Access to the rest of the city is easy from both airports.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The two airports are only 120 miles apart how is one positioned better than the other? And with the recent improvements both airports are pretty nice. I like the high ceilings and wider concourses at OKC and wish TUL could eventually do something like that in the concourses. At the same time I prefer the wide open and high ceiling security area and baggage claim areas at TUL to the closed off and lower ceiling areas at OKC. Access to the rest of the city is easy from both airports.
    because one is in OKC and one is not

OKC's airport just got some major upgrades, so I'm not surprised to hear that it is nicer than Tulsa's. OKC is also obviously a bit larger than Tulsa, so again I expect things to be a little bigger and maybe better there. I have no complaints about TIA though and love flying in and out of it regularly. We may be due for an airport upgrade within the next ten years, but for now it is exactly right sized.

I'm about to book one of those Breeze flights to Tampa! Looks like you have to pay extra for the package that includes a carry-on though, not sure how many people are able to figure out how to travel without any baggage whatsoever... seems a little misleading to me, but that is the low-price airline game for you. Even still, it looks like it will be about $250 round trip - not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    OKC's airport just got some major upgrades, so I'm not surprised to hear that it is nicer than Tulsa's. OKC is also obviously a bit larger than Tulsa, so again I expect things to be a little bigger and maybe better there. I have no complaints about TIA though and love flying in and out of it regularly. We may be due for an airport upgrade within the next ten years, but for now it is exactly right sized.

I'm about to book one of those Breeze flights to Tampa! Looks like you have to pay extra for the package that includes a carry-on though, not sure how many people are able to figure out how to travel without any baggage whatsoever... seems a little misleading to me, but that is the low-price airline game for you. Even still, it looks like it will be about $250 round trip - not bad!
    Tulsa also heavily renovated their airport in the last decade, though they did not do as extreme a renovation as OKC did around 2000, Tulsa basically gutted and rebuilt the interior and systems (like HVAC and plumbing). Though kept the structural shell of the main terminal and the old concourses, plus it's much lower ceilings throughout the building did not help their latitude to modernize the buildings style.

Blog Entries

Post Re: Tulsa International Airport

Oklahoma needs one airport to get back on true International flight status; where you don't have to go to Dallas or St. Louis to connect with flights to Mexico. I know DFW has cornered the market on this; Oklahoma needs direct flight to places like Mexico where you don't have to drive to Dallas to board a flight or fly from Will Rogers or Tulsa International to Dallas to connect. TUL & OKC should work out some kind of partnership to make this happen.

That way you would have a shorter drive from Oklahoma City or Tulsa to take an International flight from one of Oklahoma's two major airports.

Flights could IMO originate from either Oklahoma City or Tulsa.

BTW: Do you remember Tulsa based Great Plains Airlines (GP); IMO it would have worked better (Long-tern) had it been based at Will Rogers World Airport. The real concern with GP, they didn't have the capital to maintain and build on established flights in additional to the places where they were flying.

Such a nonsensical idea.

It’s really not a big deal to fly to DFW, IAH or ORD and connect for international flights. I could see flights eventually to Cancun and maybe Cabo San Lucas in Mexico, and possibly Toronto in Canada. I would prefer to see more domestic routes and more frequency to the main hubs.

Blog Entries

He wants Tulsa to give up TIA so that OKC can have a more important airport? That's stupid and does zero for anyone in Tulsa. You know, about the average for the state of Oklahoma.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    He wants Tulsa to give up TIA so that OKC can have a more important airport? That's stupid and does zero for anyone in Tulsa. You know, about the average for the state of Oklahoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Oklahoma needs one airport to get back on true International flight status; where you don't have to go to Dallas or St. Louis to connect with flights to Mexico. I know DFW has cornered the market on this; Oklahoma needs direct flight to places like Mexico where you don't have to drive to Dallas to board a flight or fly from Will Rogers or Tulsa International to Dallas to connect. TUL & OKC should work out some kind of partnership to make this happen.

That way you would have a shorter drive from Oklahoma City or Tulsa to take an International flight from one of Oklahoma's two major airports.

Flights could IMO originate from either Oklahoma City or Tulsa.

BTW: Do you remember Tulsa based Great Plains Airlines (GP); IMO it would have worked better (Long-tern) had it been based at Will Rogers World Airport. The real concern with GP, they didn't have the capital to maintain and build on established flights in additional to the places where they were flying.
    Read carefully, instead of getting defensive 'Flights could originate from either Oklahoma City or Tulsa. Where does it say Tulsa or Oklahoma City gives up anything.

Both of Oklahoma's major airports are growing, renovating and expanding... A partnership means working together and coordinating--saving you a drive or additional flight to Dallas.

12. Default Re: Tulsa International Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I don't even understand this comment.

A solution in search of a problem.

1. Connect to DFW via OKC, Stillwater, Tulsa or Lawton.
    2. Drive to DFW.

Or

Spend millions to try and get an international flight that may or may not work.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    A solution in search of a problem.

1. Connect to DFW via OKC, Stillwater, Tulsa or Lawton.
    2. Drive to DFW.

Or

Spend millions to try and get an international flight that may or may not work.
    Exactly. Though as I mentioned Mexico beach resorts like Cancun or Cabo could work on a 1x or 2x/week basis from an airline like Allegiant or Frontier. I think Toronto could work too on AC down the road especially with customs preclearance and all of the European flight options from YYZ. But that’s really it. Otherwise fly the short hop to DFW or ORD, IAH, DEN, ATL or LAX and fly to pretty much anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Exactly. Though as I mentioned Mexico beach resorts like Cancun or Cabo could work on a 1x or 2x/week basis from an airline like Allegiant or Frontier. I think Toronto could work too on AC down the road especially with customs preclearance and all of the European flight options from YYZ. But that’s really it. Otherwise fly the short hop to DFW or ORD, IAH, DEN, ATL or LAX and fly to pretty much anywhere.
    OKC-SEA on Alaska connects Japan pretty easily as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    OKC-SEA on Alaska connects Japan pretty easily as well.
    That is a flight I hope to see in Tulsa soon. One of the biggest holes along with NYC, San Francisco and Miami/South Florida.

The old Clarion Hotel is being demolished and will be replaced by a new hotel. This is right at the entrance to the airport across from the Hilton Garden Inn.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/loca...um9S1jhKM2bAH0

18. Default Re: Tulsa International Airport

Neither OKC nor Tulsa are going to just close their airports, come on guys. Remember AA has a major facility at TUL too. So that alone means that place isn't going anywhere, even if they dont have as much people traffic as OKC. But seriously, would you expect anyone to drive 2 hours from a major metro area, just to get on an airplane? If you live in Enid, that's a given as part of where you live. But living in OKC/TUL, you know you'll either MAYBE have a direct if you're going somewhere big, or like everyone else then you'll connect somewhere else and puddle jump to the hub.

Look at Mobile and Pensacola. It's a pretty good comparison. Their difference is the physical Mobile Bay separating them. They already share TV affiliates, but they both have small (12 gate or less) airports and both refuse to give it up. MOB charges insane rates to fly there, which is why Pensacola built theirs. And the majority of the development is on the east side of the bay now, and so those folks go to Pensacola. Gulf Shores is on the east side, so again more people fly to Pensacola now. MOB is the actual larger city, but they're missing out on the traffic. However, you won't see either of them close and let the other "win". They'd rather both stay smaller and give the locals the shorter "to-airport" drive time.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Neither OKC nor Tulsa are going to just close their airports, come on guys. Remember AA has a major facility at TUL too. So that alone means that place isn't going anywhere, even if they dont have as much people traffic as OKC. But seriously, would you expect anyone to drive 2 hours from a major metro area, just to get on an airplane? If you live in Enid, that's a given as part of where you live. But living in OKC/TUL, you know you'll either MAYBE have a direct if you're going somewhere big, or like everyone else then you'll connect somewhere else and puddle jump to the hub.

Look at Mobile and Pensacola. It's a pretty good comparison. Their difference is the physical Mobile Bay separating them. They already share TV affiliates, but they both have small (12 gate or less) airports and both refuse to give it up. MOB charges insane rates to fly there, which is why Pensacola built theirs. And the majority of the development is on the east side of the bay now, and so those folks go to Pensacola. Gulf Shores is on the east side, so again more people fly to Pensacola now. MOB is the actual larger city, but they're missing out on the traffic. However, you won't see either of them close and let the other "win". They'd rather both stay smaller and give the locals the shorter "to-airport" drive time.
    It's the most ridiculous idea that just won't die. Spend $10 billion to build an airport in the middle of no where too.....get a flight to mexico.

20. Default Re: Tulsa International Airport

Allegiant is expanding their presence even further at TUL. New upcoming service just in time for the winter:
    SRQ (Sarasota)-begins Dec. 15
    AZA (Phoenix-Mesa)-begins Nov. 18

These are the 7th and 8th routes from TUL for Allegiant. TUL now has or will have 6 nonstop destinations total across all airlines to Florida-VPS, SFB, TPA, PIE, SRQ, & MIA, That's really something--especially to the Tampa Bay area!

A couple of ponderings:

-TUL now has DOUBLE the Allegiant destinations that OKC has. Wonder why they are doing so much better, it seems, overall in that market up there?

-More specifically, it is interesting that OKC has only four Florida markets in comparison: VPS, Orlando (MCO & SFB), TPA, and MIA. Again, wonder why Florida seems to be a better market from TUL than OKC? Are Tulsans more oriented towards Florida vacations like the rest of the South and the Midwest where even mid-sized markets have tons of service to FL? It seems to me OKC folks tend to go west more often for vacation--simply anecdotal evidence. Wondering why Allegiant doesn't try that Phoenix-Mesa service from OKC.

Just thoughts from an av geek...

If Allegiant is still using American Airlines Maintenance Services for maintenance checks, then the frequency of planes they need to get in for checks could play a factor in their level of passenger service to Tulsa at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Allegiant is expanding their presence even further at TUL. New upcoming service just in time for the winter:
    SRQ (Sarasota)-begins Dec. 15
    AZA (Phoenix-Mesa)-begins Nov. 18

These are the 7th and 8th routes from TUL for Allegiant. TUL now has or will have 6 nonstop destinations total across all airlines to Florida-VPS, SFB, TPA, PIE, SRQ, & MIA, That's really something--especially to the Tampa Bay area!

A couple of ponderings:

-TUL now has DOUBLE the Allegiant destinations that OKC has. Wonder why they are doing so much better, it seems, overall in that market up there?

-More specifically, it is interesting that OKC has only four Florida markets in comparison: VPS, Orlando (MCO & SFB), TPA, and MIA. Again, wonder why Florida seems to be a better market from TUL than OKC? Are Tulsans more oriented towards Florida vacations like the rest of the South and the Midwest where even mid-sized markets have tons of service to FL? It seems to me OKC folks tend to go west more often for vacation--simply anecdotal evidence. Wondering why Allegiant doesn't try that Phoenix-Mesa service from OKC.

Just thoughts from an av geek...
    Catch will have a better answer. But it seems like allegiant goes where AA isn’t. Okc has picked up a lot of AA flights lately.

I am loving the cheap flights to random touristy destinations. I did Tampa in July and had a blast. I used Breeze Airlines, which was a fantastic experience all around. Haven't tried Allegiant yet, since I heard horror stories about their maintenance years ago, but may give them a try soon.

Our maintenance base is such a god send. I'm still gritting my teeth that AA doesn't falter again and makes a strong come back. If AA ever goes under Tulsa is screwed in so many ways.

Heck, Tulsa may soon have more destinations than OKC, given Allegiant's love affair with them.

OKC needs to step it up, given airlines are handing out routes like candy right now.

25. Default Re: Tulsa International Airport

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    I am loving the cheap flights to random touristy destinations. I did Tampa in July and had a blast. I used Breeze Airlines, which was a fantastic experience all around. Haven't tried Allegiant yet, since I heard horror stories about their maintenance years ago, but may give them a try soon.

Our maintenance base is such a god send. I'm still gritting my teeth that AA doesn't falter again and makes a strong come back. If AA ever goes under Tulsa is screwed in so many ways.
    I have not heard Allegiant horror stories in several years now, they have really gotten much better from what I understand. For one, their fleet is much more reliable--they are even buying new airplanes now. Glad to hear you Breeze experience was good. I want to use them from OKC sometime soon.

Thread Information