Widgets Magazine

Thread: Weather Resources

1. Question Weather Resources

This article will be updated over time to include a catalog of various definitions of terms, descriptions of events or processes, and a general overall resource to refer to. Essentially this is going to be the FAQ of the weather section. If you have contributions or questions, please comment on the article and I'll get it added. We'll get this stickied so it remains on top like the severe weather archive.

Reporting Severe Weather

If you experience any severe weather (see definitions below) please by submitting a storm report! There are various ways to send in information:
    1. NWS Norman Online Storm Report Form
    2. NWS Tulsa Online Storm Report Form
    3. Spotter Network
    4. Amateur Radio
    5. NSSL mPING Mobile App

Definitions

Term Related Terms Definition
    PDS Particularly Dangerous Situation is a type of watch where the risk of high end severe weather is possible.
    PDS Severe Thunderstorm Watch PDS Blue Box Typically issued for a widespread severe wind event, called a derecho.
    PDS Tornado Warning Issued when a large tornado is confirmed to be producing damaging.
    PDS Tornado Watch PDS Red Box Potential for multiple strong or violent tornadoes in the watch box area.
    Severe Thunderstorm Winds equal to or over 58 mph and hail over 1 inch in diameter.
    Severe Thunderstorm Watch Blue Box Conditions favorable for severe thunderstorms. Also called a "blue box".
    Significant Weather Advisory A strong thunderstorm that is radar indicated in an area just below severe limits. It will be issued using the "Special Weather Statement" product from the NWS.
    Tornado Emergency Highest end tornado warning issued when violent tornado is moving through populated area.
    Tornado Watch Red Box Conditions favorable for severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. Also called a "red box"

SPC Severe Weather Outlooks

Source: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/SPC_probotlk_info.html

Marginal Risk (dark green)
    A MRGL risk area implies severe storm of limited organization and longevity or very low coverage and marginal intensity.

Slight Risk (yellow)

A SLGT risk implies organized severe thunderstorms are expected, but usually in low coverage with varying levels of intensity.

Enhanced Risk (orange)
    An ENH risk implies greater concentration of organized severe thunderstorms with varying levels of intensity.

Moderate Risk (red)
    A MDT risk implies potential for widespread severe weather with several tornadoes and/or numerous severe thunderstorms, some of which may be intense.

High Risk (magenta)
    The HIGH risk suggestions a severe weather outbreak is expected from either numerous intensive and long-track tornadoes, or a long-lived derech system with hurricane-force wind gusts producing widespread damage.

Probability Conversion Tables
    • Probabilities are calculated as meaning a person has a X% chance of that severe event occurring within 25 miles of the location.
    • Hatched areas represent a 10% or greater probability for significant severe events to occur within 25 miles of the location.
    • Significant event is a tornado EF2 or higher, damaging winds 74 mph or higher, and hail at least 2 inches in diameter.

Default Re: Weather Resources

I hope I am not offending anyone, but I just wish the local news (Channels 4, 5 and 9) wouldn't get so hyper when a thunderstorm develops. Those incessant oversized weather maps and scrolling marquees are enough to make folk sign up for CATV!

3. Default Re: Weather Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post
    I hope I am not offending anyone, but I just wish the local news (Channels 4, 5 and 9) wouldn't get so hyper when a thunderstorm develops. Those incessant oversized weather maps and scrolling marquees are enough to make folk sign up for CATV!
    We already have a media thread, so let's keep those type of comments to that. This should mainly be a resource/learning thread.

Venture...Noted. I'll be honest, I didn't (don't) know how to delete my post after I read the "other" thread...(My apologies).

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I thought it was interesting.

If you took shelter every time we issued a tornado warning for your county, how much time do you think you'd spend in your shelter every year? I bet the real number is lower than you think! Check out this graphic

- https://www.facebook.com/US.National...&stream_ref=10

It's almost always been zero minutes with me. I always wait until either the electricity suddenly goes off or I start hearing a roar before I turn chicken and rush straight for shelter, which is a safe room. Fortunately, that moment has yet to happen in the house I've lived in for the past 9 years. The last time it did happen I was in a house that didn't have a safe room. When the electricity suddenly went off, I finally got real scared. I quickly pulled the mattress off my bed and took it to the hall where I got down and covered myself with it. About 30 seconds later the loud roar of the tornado went over. Fortunately, little damage happened other than an uprooted tree that spread itself over the back yard, rather than on anyone's house. But several blocks away, where the center of the F3 tornado passed through, entire roofs were blown off.

7. Default Re: Weather Resources

Whats up with eastern Colorado? Do they have that many tornadoes or does someone have an itchy trigger finger on the tornado warning button?

It's also interesting that you can almost trace the course of the Rocky mountains by the difference in the aqua and purple colors. What a huge influence they must have on our weather.

8. Default Re: Weather Resources

Updated the information for the outlooks to reflect the new 5-tier system.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Whats up with eastern Colorado? Do they have that many tornadoes or does someone have an itchy trigger finger on the tornado warning button?

It's also interesting that you can almost trace the course of the Rocky mountains by the difference in the aqua and purple colors. What a huge influence they must have on our weather.
    2nd comment first. There is strip of about 20 miles from the edge of the mountains east where you dont see many tornadoes. From that point east, there are many-some quite large. The entire area is sparsely populated so damage is rare but it gives great viewing opportunities.

Venture, when you go to your chat room, is any of that easily captured on a smart phone?
    (or: here's the real question: Does it translate to twitter or FB?)

11. Default Re: Weather Resources

It should display okay on a smart phone. You can use: Weather Spotlight - Live Chat Room for Weather Event Coverage and it gets rid of the Twitter and Video feeds on the sides.

12. Default Re: Weather Resources

*del*

13. Default Re: Weather Resources

Mispost.

Great video by Skip Talbot on features to look for in a severe storm. Great resource for spotters or those who want to get out of the way.

If you don't have a NOAA weather radio, then you can get the online audio of it here of the Oklahoma City station: Wunder Radio Player : Weather Underground. There are a bunch more NOAA stations across the country, including two more from Oklahoma, you can tune to on the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    If you don't have a NOAA weather radio, then you can get the online audio of it here of the Oklahoma City station: Wunder Radio Player : Weather Underground. There are a bunch more NOAA stations across the country, including two more from Oklahoma, you can tune to on the player.
    The above post could use an update. Wunderground NOAA radio network has long been discontinued. In its place is a new network at https://noaaweatherradio.org/ where you can go pick out NOAA radio stations from across the country to listen to. Oklahoma has 3 stations listed, including the one for Oklahoma City. Another page that does the same and affiliated with the same network is at https://stillwaterweather.com/wxradio

I am curious about snow or freezing rain. Do both instances fall under thunderstorms? Thanks.

18. Default Re: Weather Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I am curious about snow or freezing rain. Do both instances fall under thunderstorms? Thanks.
    It doesn't commonly happen but there can be thundersnow and freezing thunderstorms.

I remember at Taft Jr. High seeing a heavy thunderstorm but the rain didn't run off because it froze as it hit. I've also seen thundersnow when the air here in CO has been really wet and unstable.

Thread Information