Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 27 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rayo OKC

Default Rayo OKC

I know it has seemed like the NASL folks have gone away, I just wanted to let people know:
    Just got a message from the NASL OKC owners.
    1. Press release is on the slate for next Monday "at the latest"
    2. New logo/colors will be released. (I'm hoping it is something close to the temporary logo they released. Everyone who saw it liked it.)
    3. They are finalizing their new website, FB, Twitter, and instagram social media sites.
    4. Working on finalizing one of three, possible venues for 2015 right now. (Let's hope one is Bricktown Ballpark)

So;
    For all those who thought they would slink off into the night, sorry.
    For all those who thought Tim McLaughlin was the only person who had money in OKC, sorry.
    For all the energy fanboys who were hoping that they wouldn't have to compete, sorry.

Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

I guess I just don't get it. When you're trying to develop and grow a soccer fan base, or any fan base, creating two professional teams in the same area is just going to make it harder for both teams to accomplish that. Add to the fact that the Energy already have a head start on the NASL team and it makes it even harder for them. Oh well I guess

3. Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

Sorry the NASL is going to fold in a year or two

I don't get it because there are only like 5 people who even want that team to happen.

I would invest in myspace.com or Ed shadid's mayor campaign before I invested in the NASL in okc.

Blog Entries

I'm not against the NASL team, nor am I a Prodigal fanboy, but as a casual observer it sure seems like Prodigal has their act together regarding Energy FC and so far (it appears) Sold Out and NASL Team X does not. Hopefully, this is a flawed observation, they get their act together, and we have a competitive market where the "fittest" team/entity survives (or both for all I care, that can only be good for soccer fans). But so far it doesn't appear that way and people observing the same thing might have a hard time putting their hard earned money into something that seems like a riskier proposition.

I guess I just don't understand people's short memories, sometimes. Why would anyone put any faith in Bob Funk's organization, given their track record of trying to run sports in this city? I just don't get it.

Why the combative tone? If you're tying to get people to connect with your team and organization, why risk alienating potential supporters just because they have found an organization to rally behind? It's still possible the NASL team will work out better than Energy FC, and if that's your goal -- bully for you (I will sincerely be happy, because two successful teams would definitely put MLS on notice). But you can't fault people for getting behind a team that has a stadium, is working to build a soccer-specific stadium, has a full team, has visibility in the community, communicates with fans, and oh yeah -- has an MLS affiliation. So far from the OKC FC people: radio silence.

The NASL's model of trying to compete with no profit sharing (which is what helps MLS be successful) against MLS will lead to a league with some teams in only the wealthiest largest cities.

Blog Entries

Just maybe this competition will be good for the professional soccer and Oklahoma City. One of these teams (OKC Energy or OKC NASL) will survive; this could later pave the way for the MLS?

vs. = ?

The OKC Energy has gotten out the gate with 'energy' (1,000-plus season tickets sold) because their early entry will give them that advantage. The OKC Energy will also get a boost when turnpike rival Tulsa joins the USL-Pro League in 2015. Tulsa appears to have the same dilemma as OKC with the new Tulsa Roughnecks joining the USL-Pro in 2015 battling the NPSL Tulsa Athletics for their fan base.

The Oklahoma City Energy should be positioned to win this battle as they will move into their new home (7,000-seat Taft Stadium) in 2015 thanks to former OKC NASL magnet Tim McLaughlin joining the OKC Energy camp. Will the Funks' fumble the soccer ball?

The OKC NASL doesn't begin until 2015; therefore attempting to begin an early marketing blitz could lead to confusion and benefit the Energy group. A botched OKC Energy attempt could benefit the NASL group. When it's all said and done, let us hope that Oklahoma City will be strengthened from this ordeal.

Who knows the future. Having the NASL as a competitive league to the MLS could eventually lead to a merger (MLS-NASL) involving successful NASL franchises down the road.

It happened with the NFL-AFL full merger. Jacksonville was on the NFL's radar for expansion because of its success as a USFL city (Jacksonville Bulls) when the NFL 1995 expansion gave birth to Charlotte, NC (Carolina Panthers) and Jacksonville (Jaguars) as the 29th & 30th members. The NBA-ABA merger admitting four ABA teams: New York-New Jersey Nets, Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers & San Antonio Spurs developed as a result of the ABA's competitiveness with the rival NBA.

The league battles and cities jockeying to bring the best to their communities could eventually be a good thing for those successful soccer communities. Cultivating the best is what we want for Oklahoma City.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I guess I just don't understand people's short memories, sometimes. Why would anyone put any faith in Bob Funk's organization, given their track record of trying to run sports in this city? I just don't get it.
    I see what you did there. Stay classy.

with that type of statement u need to explain a little more. just cant be throwing out accusations with no proof

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Sorry the NASL is going to fold in a year or two
    And you base that on...what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    with that type of statement u need to explain a little more. just cant be throwing out accusations with no proof
    IGA Tennis Classic Was growing yearly in stature. But once taken over by the Funks, it quickly lost steam and was moved to Memphis.
    OKC Blazers Most successful minor league hockey franchise in N. America, at any level. Funk Jr comes in, and within 9 mos has fired the GM and Asst. GM. One year later, folds the team. Claimed that he couldn't renegotiate a lease with the city. Funny, less than a year later he was able to negotiate a lease for The Barons?
    OKC Barons This was supposed to be "world-class" hockey, SO MUCH better than the Blazers. I will say the Funks HAVE done one thing well, social media. The DAY the Barons were announced all of these trolls started appearing on hockey forums talking about what crap hockey the Blazers were, and basically only stupid rednecks should watch that. Well now the Blazers are gone (thanks to Bob Funk Jr), the Barons are here (thanks to Bob Funk Jr) and. IMHO, they have ran the team into the ground. They are 4th from the bottom of their league in attendance, and it keeps going down. There has been talk in several different circles that The Oilers want to move their franchise, or at least, take it away from Funk because they are not happy with how it has been ran.
    OKC Redhawks In 2004 Bob Funk SR had a chance to acquire a MLS franchise for OKC when the league was looking to add 4 teams. Plans were drawn up, conversations were had, and at the last minute he decided to buy the Redhawks instead. Apparently they couldn't run that, because now, for the first time, the Redhawks are owned by an equity holding company (Mandalay Sports).
    Can YOU point to ANY success that Prodigal, llc has actually had? Because I can't. I really can't.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    The NASL's model of trying to compete with no profit sharing (which is what helps MLS be successful) against MLS will lead to a league with some teams in only the wealthiest largest cities.
    And wouldn't it be nice if we were one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Why the combative tone? If you're tying to get people to connect with your team and organization, why risk alienating potential supporters just because they have found an organization to rally behind? It's still possible the NASL team will work out better than Energy FC, and if that's your goal -- bully for you (I will sincerely be happy, because two successful teams would definitely put MLS on notice). But you can't fault people for getting behind a team that has a stadium, is working to build a soccer-specific stadium, has a full team, has visibility in the community, communicates with fans, and oh yeah -- has an MLS affiliation. So far from the OKC FC people: radio silence.
    You are correct. I apologize for that. i have just been on another, soccer, forum where the tone tends to get a little adversarial.

And wouldn't it be nice if we were one of them?
    I have a significant problem with a league that is trying to compete with one already established for decades, in a sport that needs all the help it can, plus some, to grow in this country. Soccer needs unity, not competing leagues.

I have a significant problem with a league that is trying to compete with one already established for decades, in a sport that needs all the help it can, plus some, to grow in this country. Soccer needs unity, not competing leagues.
    So are you saying we should just "get with the program"? "Jump on the bus"? "Don't rock the boat"? I want soccer to succeed too. But I ALSO want OKC to have the highest level we can possibly get. I happen to believe that is the NASL, and not USL. I don't want us to just become another farm team for someone else. Maybe I'm alone in that. Nothing against Sporting KC. I like watching them. But I don't necessarily want to be their support system. I think we're better than that. OKC is big league city!
    We have a chance to be in NASL, playing against the NY Cosmos, Tampa Bay Rowdies, etc...
    And people are rightfully proud of pointing out that the energy have around 1,000 STH for the first year. Good for them, seriously.
    But did you know that Indianapolis, in the first NASL season, now has 7,000 STH's? AAMOF they have had to open ANOTHER 1,000 seats! I want us to be part of that!
    I have pointed this out on another forum, but last year when SoS operated OKC FC in the PDL, and amateur league, with only about a month and half of lead time, in a temporary venue they ended up averaging ~ 1,300/game. Did you know that 1/4 of the teams in the league that the energy will be playing in didn't even average 800/game? And with MLS teams moving to operate their own full reserve teams in USL-Pro, in the very near future the league will be just that, a reserve league.
    WHY do we want to settle for that? If you do, then fine. I just don't get why?

I get what you're saying, it all sounds good, but when your reserve league is the next logical step to THE premier domestic soccer league, who is going to be left to play in NASL. If I'm a fringe MLS soccer player, am I going to fight to make the MLS squad through the traditional method, or am I going to go play in wannabe big league, perhaps never getting the shot to play on national TV, with USMNT stars, etc. I'm not opposed to being "big league" like you said, but I'm not sure NASL is the right way. While individual NASL teams have made the jump to MLS, I think I can speak fairly confident that NASL as whole will never be (nor should be) on MLS level.

IGA tennis? that sport has been on life support since "new coke" came out....
    Blazers- pure and simple the thunder weren't going to share the arena with a Double A hockey team. Glad they took down the banners too .
    OKC Barons- yes I have been disappointed but also I haven't been to a game since the 1st season, so I cant really complain. I think it hurts them playing so many of the same nights as the thunder. If they shared an arena at least they wouldn't have this problem. I am a huge hockey fan, but just cant get into the Barons. I think it also has to do with who we are a farmteam of as well.
    and lastly you are blaming a guy for not spending his money? you act like he should spend his money the way you see fit? Maybe he didn't see it as a good investment, maybe it was going to take up too much time. Also I believe we were going to have to build a new soccer stadium, maybe he thought the public wouldn't support it? who knows but knocking a guy because he didn't invest in what you wanted him to is asinine.
    If you wanted a MLS team back in 2004, why didn't you spend your own money for it?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    IGA tennis? that sport has been on life support since "new coke" came out....
    You can put it down, but it doesn't make it any less true that they bungled it, at a time when it was actually growing here.
    Blazers- pure and simple the thunder weren't going to share the arena with a Double A hockey team. Glad they took down the banners too.
    They wouldn't have HAD to share the building. The Barons don't. The city even kicked in money to fix the ice-making equipment in the Cox Center. And I think that acting like the Blazers never existed was just ONE of the MANY dumb moves that they have made. Say what you want about the Blazers, but there were ALOT of very loyal fans. And Funk, et al.. basically spit on all of them, causing some bad blood that never got smoothed over.
    OKC Barons- yes I have been disappointed but also I haven't been to a game since the 1st season, so I cant really complain. I think it hurts them playing so many of the same nights as the thunder. If they shared an arena at least they wouldn't have this problem. I am a huge hockey fan, but just cant get into the Barons. I think it also has to do with who we are a farmteam of as well.
    and lastly you are blaming a guy for not spending his money? you act like he should spend his money the way you see fit? Maybe he didn't see it as a good investment, maybe it was going to take up too much time. Also I believe we were going to have to build a new soccer stadium, maybe he thought the public wouldn't support it? who knows but knocking a guy because he didn't invest in what you wanted him to is asinine.
    If you wanted a MLS team back in 2004, why didn't you spend your own money for it?
    So you don't like them either? And you say it MIGHT be because they are a farm team? Well all right! You are proving my point here :-) My wife and I haven't been to a Barons game in several years, either. And I was a multi-year Blazers STH.

Also, you do realize that you DIDN'T disprove anything I said, right? You didn't point to one thing they can hang their hat on. Neither can I. So my question is why should I, or anyone else, think that this will be ANY different? If I'm proven wrong, then fine. Heck, I'll even admit it! But I am choosing to put my money in something I believe in, the NASL team coming next year. I will also put my money into OKC FC in the NPSL THIS year.

I get what you're saying, it all sounds good, but when your reserve league is the next logical step to THE premier domestic soccer league, who is going to be left to play in NASL. If I'm a fringe MLS soccer player, am I going to fight to make the MLS squad through the traditional method, or am I going to go play in wannabe big league, perhaps never getting the shot to play on national TV, with USMNT stars, etc. I'm not opposed to being "big league" like you said, but I'm not sure NASL is the right way. While individual NASL teams have made the jump to MLS, I think I can speak fairly confident that NASL as whole will never be (nor should be) on MLS level.
    I understand what you're saying, too. But USL-Pro is NOT the next step below MLS. NASL is. Case in point, one of the MLS teams signed GK Matt Pickens, an MLS veteran. They then transferred him to Tampa Bay, of the NASL, NOT to a USL-Pro team.
    NASL is the Official Tier II of US soccer. USL-Pro is Tier III. I've been following the two league for a little bit now and I have seen quite a bit of difference in the two. I am choosing to hope that OKC NASL is a hit, and that we have the highest level of soccer possible, whether thats in MLS, or not.

I understand the tier system, but it would appear to me that with alignments happening between MLS and USL teams (not so much with NASL), that you'd think USL would become tier II soon.

I think that USL is going to be more of a league where your up and coming younger players, SuperDraft choices, etc will cut their teeth, and NASL will be that league for older, "fringe" veteran types (think your AAAA players in baseball, guys that are solid AAA guys, but can't ever get more than a cup of coffee if that at the MLB level). Correct me if I'm off base here.

I can see the appeal of both. I for one like to see up and coming talent, not some hasbeens and neverwillbes.

Not much point to arguing at this point.

But, as a point of order, I'll note that borchard joined OKC Talk shortly after the OKC NASL team was announced, and the majority of his/her posts have been pro-Lund/NASL and anti-Funk.

25. Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Not much point to arguing at this point.

But, as a point of order, I'll note that borchard joined OKC Talk shortly after the OKC NASL team was announced, and the majority of his/her posts have been pro-Lund/NASL and anti-Funk.
    He is the personal cheerleader for all things NASL, he is all over this board and another soccer related board talking down the Energy/Funks/Prodigal. Most soccer fans I talk to here in OKC don't care what team is here, it's just the loud minority that like to scream about which League is better etc..

Thread Information